Sign in to follow this  
Junpei

7-Wide axle with centre-point and Ackermann steering

Hello!

Today I'd like to present my idea for an axle I made, probably most ideal for small MOCs and model team trucks. A couple pictures, front and back (please ignore the 7L beam with the wheel on the end, I used it to prop it up so I could take photos :P )

14525099087_036667a1a5_c.jpg

14709151714_eee8d38172_c.jpg

The two links on each side allow the pivot point to be projected outwards, creating a pivot very close to the center of the wheel, and somehow it also has Ackermann geometry (tbh, the ackermann was not even intentional, I was ecstatic and very surprised when I first steered it :grin: ) Steering is done by rotating the cam you see in the middle of the axle.

14731410503_17bdb136d1_c.jpg

Well, I think that about covers it. I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to incorporate it into any MOCs if you wish. :classic:

Happy building,

Junpei

very ingenious and very useful for small narrow busses and the like, but I fail to see how this can be 'Centre point' steering

@Rockbrick: I apologize for the misleading title, it's nearly centre-point steering. Almost a stud closer to the centre of the wheel than you would get with e.g. this as a kingpin.

Here's a picture showing it:

14718304615_4f9df780d6_c.jpg

Because of the perspective, it's a little bit off (it's a little bit farther out, possibly even truly centre-point, this picture is just demonstrating the concept).

Junpei

Yes sorry, you are right, I see it now - I guess I should have tried to make it first and try it out before commenting.... I apologise. Though true centre point is only possible with the pivot inside the hub (almost impossible to do it sturdy enough with lego) like on the citroen DS:

DS-Pivot-Hub.jpg

Though true centre point is only possible with the pivot inside the hub (almost impossible to do it sturdy enough with lego)...

I respectfully disagree. This was done a couple years ago by a builder named Ricardo Oliveira, who was using an idea from fellow builder sunsky:

And this is my version with Ackermann:

Kudos to the OP on a good design!

Edited by Infraredbrick

True centerpoint steering can also be done at larger scales by using thin wheels, custom hubs, and some steering axis inclination (SAI, aka kingpin inclination). My Lancia 037 had near-center-point steering using 62.4x20 wheels, custom hubs, and Short/Long Arm (SLA) suspension (5 studs on the top, 6 on the bottom) to give some SAI. My current project is about ~14 studs wide and has center point steering or close to it (the theoretical scrub radius is about negative 1mm) using a MacPherson setup.

Nicely done. You could also add 'multi-link' in the description, as the kingpin axis is beyond/outside the joints.