Tom Jurassic

Lego Loosing the Ball with Superheroes Sets

Does anyone know about the Hasbro Helicarrier?

I am thinking of purchasing the SDCC Version for £250 as it is a 1 foot longer, but want to know whether you guys think it would be compatible? I need it to fill a hole in my collection!

Does anyone know about the Hasbro Helicarrier?

I am thinking of purchasing the SDCC Version for £250 as it is a 1 foot longer, but want to know whether you guys think it would be compatible? I need it to fill a hole in my collection!

I think you should make a custom one instead. You could use the turbines from the Spider-Copter.

Seeing all the GotG sets in relatively high-res has somewhat changed my outlook on how TLG are doing with the Super Heroes license. The GotG sets are vast improvements on most of what LEGO has produced for this line up to now. The sets are definitely higher quality and the minifigures are far more detailed. Obviously it isn't possible to tell at this stage if future sets in this theme start to improve in the same ways, but I certainly feel that it is a possibility now. Here's hoping they do improve; most of the sets simply haven't been anything special (minifigures aside) so far.

Seeing all the GotG sets in relatively high-res has somewhat changed my outlook on how TLG are doing with the Super Heroes license. The GotG sets are vast improvements on most of what LEGO has produced for this line up to now. The sets are definitely higher quality and the minifigures are far more detailed. Obviously it isn't possible to tell at this stage if future sets in this theme start to improve in the same ways, but I certainly feel that it is a possibility now. Here's hoping they do improve; most of the sets simply haven't been anything special (minifigures aside) so far.

Agreed with this completely buddy. The GOTG sets are completed to a gorgeous standard of quality, and look like something which all Superheroes sets should match. Perfect Minifigures, and vehicles which are actually useful. It is somewhat frustrating as it shows what TLG can do when they put their minds to it, suggesting that half the time they are simply lazy. :sceptic:

'Lazy'? It always surprises me that so many people claim any perceived faults in their beloved films/series/toys/etc are down to the makers being lazy. Guys, designing LEGO sets and minifigures is what these people do for a living. It's their day job. They work at an incredibly famous company, that will fairly and unfairly be criticised for their output from any and all corners of the world. Do you really think these people are going to be lazy about their work?

As I'm slowly accumulating experience in the entertainment industry (film and tv, in my case), I'm convinced the majority of 'faults' in products (films/series/toys/etc) comes from a lack of budget or time. Another big reason would be marketing concerns. Sure, every now and then, you do get someone phoning it in, but I believe that's much more rare than what seems to be assumed. Working in entertainment generally doesn't pay ludicrously well, and there always a group of hopefuls eager to see you fail and snatch up your job. You really don't want to make yourself an easy target when you're doing your dream job.

That said, I think LEGO are doing a smashing job with many licenses, including both sides of the Superheroes coin. As for anything you desire that hasn't been produced yet: make a list and evaluate it in three years. I'm willing to bet a lot of boxes (say, a Coulson minifig and more X-Men) will have been ticked by then.

I might spend the money on just minifigures now. Super Heroes sets are just bad most of the time. Or a repeat of what's been done a dozen times like the Batmobile.

I usually have a hard time justifying sometimes spending $10-20 on a SINGLE figure but at this point my collection is becoming too large for me to manage anyways.

'Lazy'? It always surprises me that so many people claim any perceived faults in their beloved films/series/toys/etc are down to the makers being lazy. Guys, designing LEGO sets and minifigures is what these people do for a living. It's their day job. They work at an incredibly famous company, that will fairly and unfairly be criticised for their output from any and all corners of the world. Do you really think these people are going to be lazy about their work?

As I'm slowly accumulating experience in the entertainment industry (film and tv, in my case), I'm convinced the majority of 'faults' in products (films/series/toys/etc) comes from a lack of budget or time. Another big reason would be marketing concerns. Sure, every now and then, you do get someone phoning it in, but I believe that's much more rare than what seems to be assumed. Working in entertainment generally doesn't pay ludicrously well, and there always a group of hopefuls eager to see you fail and snatch up your job. You really don't want to make yourself an easy target when you're doing your dream job.

That said, I think LEGO are doing a smashing job with many licenses, including both sides of the Superheroes coin. As for anything you desire that hasn't been produced yet: make a list and evaluate it in three years. I'm willing to bet a lot of boxes (say, a Coulson minifig and more X-Men) will have been ticked by then.

Interesting getting feedback from someone who works in the Entertainment sector. Thanks for taking the time to share this information with us, Mr Spielbrick, I appreciate it! :classic:

I think LEGO is more willing to produce detailed minifigures with a movie tie-in. That is likely because they expect an older customer to purchase them. I don't know the GotG and though I will probably love the film, I doubt that I would buy those sets. They would not fit in a City with Superheroes or a historic setting. The X-Men set is a top priority for the minifigs but the Sentential looks bad to me. I am not sure how they could have done better at that price point though.

I think a lot of the perceived "faults" are not actually faults but are motivated by marketing concerns. For example, the Iron Man 3 set with Iron Man fighting Mandarin in a golf cart might not be very exciting to most AFOLs. However, that set might have been marketed to children, and to a child, a $12.99 set where they can get Iron Man and a villain is pretty cool. Similarly for Spider-Man sets, which appear too kiddish to some but might very well be marketed to children.

...Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. Agents of SHIELD is a popular show...

:laugh_hard: Yeah, not really. According to the wikipedia page ratings have been declining since the first episode. Hence all the cameos and guest stars as drastic attempts to increase viwership.

Do they even listen to our opinions? :hmpf:

LEGO® is a multi-billion dollar conglomerate corporation. Yes, they may be nicer than literally every other conglomerate, but at the end of the day, they are still a company and they just want money. They don't care if they're destroying it for others or ruining peoples dreams, and they sure as heck don't care what you or anyone else thinks unless it makes them more money. It's the same thing with hollywood. It's a little pathetic when people say "well, I guess Hollywood hasn't learned their lesson yet" or "hollywood needs to understand that blah blah blah because the fans blah blah like the comics blah blah". There is no lesson to learn. Hollywood doesn't care. As astonishing as this may sound *sarcasm*, they're in it for the money. Just like (amazingly enough *sarcasm*) LEGO® . :sadnew:

Marvel isn't the only line where Marvel is failing, in my opinion. Within the DC Line, every wave is over-flowed with Batman sets, whether it be another Batmobile, a slightly modified Helicopter, or a completely awfully designed plane. The line is becoming too over-repetitive, and that is something which is going to amount to the line's premature death, and is something which I am worried about. There are so many other DC Heroes like Arrow, or Green Lantern, who are crying for some Lego love, so why can't the Lego designers see this?

Once again, LEGO® is a business. In case it hasn't been made clear, Batman sells, Green Lantern and Green Arrow don't becaue they aren't as well-known, unless they're paired with Batman. Hence the assortment. Though I must agree, I would really like more secondary figures. $75 just for a Martian Manhunter figure?? Why can't he just be in a Batman set like the Flash?

I am extremely worried where this line is going as it seems as if Lego are on a one-track money-making course. I love the Superheroes license, I really do, as a lot of the sets are well-made, but Lego are really loosing the ball and have lost track of this line, and I am worried that this'll end it for us fans. :facepalm:

Um, last time I checked Superheroes was one of the most popular lines available. Well, quit your worrying because there's nothing you're going to be able to do about it. IF you want to convince yourself you're making a difference, speaking from personal experience, don't buy the product in protest. It doesn't really accomplish much except save you money, but at least you get the illusion of satisfaction of having done something in response. Haha, I sound like Raven from Teen titans...

"We live in a meaning-less universe"

I mean no personal offense. This is just one of those kinds of topics that really bug me :tongue:

No offence taken buddy; everyone is entitled to their opinions! :classic:

Cool, haha, thanks for being so nonchalant about it. Usually people get up in arms when I try to express my opinion! ;D

I'm just happy Marvel/DC is released consistently in some sort of form, with the size of both universe its naive to think TLG can release every superhero there is in such a short time frame

I'm just happy Marvel/DC is released consistently in some sort of form, with the size of both universe its naive to think TLG can release every superhero there is in such a short time frame

But LEGO is showing whats possible in the 2015 dc. lots of heroes and villains.

But LEGO is showing whats possible in the 2015 dc. lots of heroes and villains.

So really, LEGO isn't loosing the ball at all. I think the quality was more "testing the waters" kind of thing, and now they know there's demand, they're willing to meet it! I mean, just LOOK at the 2015 DC sets! ;)

Edited by Jared