LAKAbricks

Modulars with open-back?

And making them open back kind of makes them not a modular building-because modulars have all 4 walls. The only reason I can think of doing it for would be to get extra bricks but like the building, but there's bricklink.....

HomerJSimpson, sticking with this argumentation, it makes no sense to modularize open-back buildings either, as they will not be open-back anymore. The point is not in the name "modular", but in the purpose of the building. Do you want a display of "facades" then it's fine with all 4 walls. Do you want to show the exterior as well as the interior, open-back makes more sense. And for playability, the modulars are awful compared to open-back buildings, as you will have to lift off each floor every time the scene moves from one floor to another. And for me personally, I prefer buildings the classic open-back way. I happen to have a couple of modular buildings I want to integrate in my layout, hence the wish to make them open-back.

... if people want to repurpose the modulars for play purposes by making them open back, who's to say they cant?

That's the beautiful thing about LEGO. We can MOD and MOC it into whatever we would like. Otherwise we just can use the KRAGLE :devil: (watch The LEGO Movie to find out what it is :wink: ) - or buy a doll's house.

Check out this review of my experience with completing a rear facade to snap into place on this originally open backed MOC: http://www.ogelsbob....ons-review.html

Thanks for the link, Ogelsbob (formerly known as Legodt)

I've always thought what alex54 did with the modulars was really cool. Read his topic. He built his modulars in a classic-town style, i.e. 16x16 base with open backs. The effect is really nice since you can fit lots of buildings into a small area.

Thanks jamesn, for the link. I just browsed through it. It looks really nice, more or less the way, I would like it. Thanks for reminding me of this topic, as I had forgotten it.

Thanks for the idea! I noticed the diiference in playability when my children had the Winter Village Cottage out along with The Pet Shop/Townhome modulars. My kids love the Modulars, but that back wall can be a frustrating obstacle. Looks like I found a weekend project, once I finish The Sea Cow, that is.

Exactly, Colossus. Of course the modulars are made for another target group than children. But it doens't mean they cannot be used for playing the good old-fashioned way.

Thanks everybody, for the many and interesting answers. I never realized that there would be such an interest for open-back modulars.

Some photos of my work-in-progress PetShops without backside.

I really like this! It not only opens it up for playing, but gives the extra room out the front.

My son is working on a City Layout, and he finds buildings like the Colby City Bank a pain for displaying due to the open back.

I think perhaps if modulars just had random small chunks of brick missing it would be interesting for displaying a figure or two whilst keeping them inside the building (Kind of like 'X-Ray' vision :tongue: ). Or perhaps the chunks could be removable (which would be ideal for most collectors).

It may also be interesting if the walls 'flipped' open, sort or like the Log Cabin but in halves.

An interesting point you make.

I think flipped open would work for standalone buildings, but once you line them up together in a street or city layout you'd have collision problems with the building next door.

Bump from the dead, found this thread via Google. Viewing Lego as a toy, this style makes so much more sense to me vs. the traditional modular style. I am always tempted by modulars but then remember that they usually just sit there collecting dust because they are a pain to take apart and my son losest interest. I actually did a modular/hinged back combo last haloween for a custom spooky house for the CMF monsters, and it really is the best of both worlds for display and playability.