Sign in to follow this  
Fordo

Napoleonic War Gaming Attribute Idea's

Hello, I've mostly been lurking this board and looking over the post for a while. And so I finally wanted to post since My own Napoleonic Army has reached a pretty large size (Sorry no pic's till I get a camera) :-/

It's 160 Infantry

8 Cuirassiers

12 Mameluke's

20 Old Guard

20 Light Infantry

3 Artillery Pieces

1 Bonaparte

8 General's (Imperial Admiral's)

I've mostly been working on building up a large prussian force.

Im a big fan of Bonaparte's army aswell as Mosana's decals.

So, as there seems to be large army's and no gaming I though I'd be a good Idea to start by making attributes for different troops into one large game in which anyone can play. Not sure If this should go here or the gaming section but since most of the pirate fans look here I'd think it better suit being here. All Idea's Welcome, Thanks for looking. Not sure If this should go here or the gaming section but since most of the pirate fans look here I'd think it better suit being here.

Fordo

Welcome Mr. Fordo!

I noticed you've been reading our board and wondered why you never posted anything. Who could have guessed you are a Napoleonic army builder!

Your army seems like a match for my French army. It's good that they are not British or I might have been in trouble :-D. Now I can't wait to see pictures of your French and Prusian armies . If you plan to add those pics in this thread (somewhere in the future), then we can leave it in the MOC forum.

I'm also interested in a war game, but have no idea how this should work.

Well I was thinking maybe for each unit type we could come up with:

Attack Strenght(how strong the weapon of the unit):

Movement(how far the unit can move):

Range(how far the unit can fire):

Defence(how much armor/resiliance to shots):

And of Course HP(How much health points the unit has):

And Maybe some others but thats about basic for now.

Hello Mr. Fordo,

There is a Lego War Games forum here at Eurobricks.

I'd check that out for rules that EB members use.

If you want a sea battle, you can check out Evil Stevie's and Dread Stephan's pirate games.

I also would like to see pics of your Armies and MOCs.

P

Hello, I've mostly been lurking this board and looking over the post for a while. And so I finally wanted to post since My own Napoleonic Army has reached a pretty large size (Sorry no pic's till I get a camera) :-/

Greetings Mr Fordo! :) Will you be getting a camera soon?

Hopefully In about a week or two I'll be getting a nice one. The sooner the better :)

Yes definitely! For a long time I didn't have a digital camera, but then I bought a camcorder which had a still image feature but the quality wasn't very good. I used that for a while and was really disappointed with the results I was getting, so I thought "Right I'm going to get a decent camera and I won't do it by halves!"

So I went and bought a digital SLR camera and now I'm pleased with the quality. Now all I need is better lighting!

Regarding the game mechanics you seek: I've been a long time fan of the Slaughterloo rules by Alternative Armies. They are fun, easy to learn. A good system to base your game on.

And this thread really belongs in the Lego wargames forum.

Yeah, if Mr Fordo only wants to plan a war game this thread definitely belongs there, however if he wants to share custom torsos then it can stay and he can create a new thread in the Wargames Forum to plan his wargame.

Yes, this should prabably go in the war gaming section and once I get a camera I'll make a new thread for my Armies.

Yes, this should prabably go in the war gaming section and once I get a camera I'll make a new thread for my Armies.

Moved to the Wargames-forum.

Btw, I like your new avatar!

Btw, I like your new avatar!

Thanks, Blucher is a pretty brave guy and devoted. Being trapped under a dead horse for hours at Waterloo :-/ .

So here are some Idea's

RULES

Line Infantry:

Hp:1

Combat Skills:1

Move:6 in

Range:10 in

Morale:1

Light Infantry:

Move:8 in

Elite Infantry(Old Guard, Jaeger, Black Watch, Janissary):

Combat Skills:3

Morale:3

Rifleman:

Combat Skills:2

Range:12 in

Morale:2

Hussar's:

Move:14 in

Range:Close Combat

Cuirassiers:

Combat Skills:3

Move:12 in

Morale:2

MameLuke's:

Dragoon's:

Artillery Piece+ Artillery gunner:

Move:6 in (With horse:12 in)

Range:24 in

Officer:

Move:6 in

Range: Cutlass: Close Combat, Pistol:6 in

Morale:4

For Morale:

( When commanded by and Officer add +1 when commanded by your General +2, Like Napoleon, Wellington, Blucher, etc.) The more morale the greater the ability of the units to fight under different circumstances. 7 Morale being the highest and the units with it being fearless in the face of their enemy.

Combat Skills: The units Skills with a Weapon such as a: cutlass; musket; rifle; flintlock pistol.

General Rules:

Only the first rank in a column may fire.

Only models in contact may fight in assaults.

Once a model fires in a round the model must wait one full turn before firing another shot due to reload time.

When changing to another formation reduce a units morale by one, does not affect the Old Guard.

Artillery Unlimber/limber:

Once you limber a cannon you must wait one turn for it to be loaded and when unlimbering you must wait a turn to be able to move it.

Formations rules:

When troops are in a Line: when versing a column add +1 to the morale levels of the units in the Line.

Must be deployed in two rows of ranks. Front rank only able to fire and units in the second row move up once a unit in the first dies. A unit deployed in Line ignores the General reload time. Max is 10 units per row.

Coloumn:

Max 5 models in front rank. Must have at least 3 ranks to claim coloumn formation.

Two ranks may fight in assaults (disregard the General "contact to fight rule").

Add 1 to Skill of the Artillery piece when targeting columns with cannon fire (massed infantry is more vulnerable).

Square:

When defending against Cavalry double the models Morale value.

When troops are in Columns: add +2 in to there movement.

Max 4 models in front rank, Must be at least 5 rows deep to claim column formation.

Two ranks may fight in assaults (disregard the General "contact to fight rule").

Add 1 to Skill of the Artillery piece when targeting columns with cannon fire (massed infantry is more vulnerable).

When an Officer is killed lower the morale of his regiment by 1 (Doesnt affect Old Guard).

When the commander of the Army is killed lower all units of that Army by 1 and add +1 to the units of the Enemy army for a full turn.

Mass Calvary charge add +1, if there are Cuirassiers present add +2 morale

When a regiment (excluding Old Guard) is being bombarded lower their morale by 1 due to fear. (disreguard if they have 7 morale)

When any unit reach's a morale of 0 he is immediatly overrun by fear and retreat's off out of play for the rest of the game.

The building must be atleast 10 studs high to be considered a fort.

To be considered a siege the attackers must have atleast 4 cannons present.

When charging the fort with over 40-60 units then raise the units morale's by +1.

Depending on the thickness of the Forts wall's destroy segments that are fired upon and hit by 3 cannon ball's. If the wall if thicker than 6 studs 6 cannon shots are needed to destroy that segment of the wall.

The defenders of the fort can hold their positions as long as they have 2 or more morale if not they retreat 10 studs away from the battle if they have 1 morale, if they have 0 they are removed from play due to fear.

These are just estimating any changes/advice are welcome so please post your idea's. Thanks.

I'll also add more units as the need for them comes up.

Fordo

Edited by Fordo

But by all means post pictures of your custom torsos in the Pirate MOC Forum since we're building quite a nice collection there.

I really think that the Old Guard should have better morale and skills rather than more hp. Which you represent by attack and defence.

A man hit by a musket i just as dead even if he's elite.

Puts a bit more realisme into a wargame.

Morale plays a big role in Napoleonic warware. The ability not to falter when faced with deadly volley fire or canister shot. You might wan't to add Morale as a stat.

Yea I was debating about that Thanks, now I'll change it so everyone has the same HP, and add morale.

A little something to add to your game:

Formations:

Coloumn: Execellent for march moving and assaults.

Line: Excellent for max fire effect.

Square: Excellent for repelling cavalry assaults.

Maybe Limber/un-limber rules for artillery.

Thanks, I added some new rules for the formations and limber/unlimbering.

Another idea concerning formations:

General:

Only the first rank in a coloum may fire.

Only models in contact may fight in assaults.

Models may only fire every other round to represent reload time.

Coloumn:

Max 5 models in front rank. Must have at least 3 ranks to claim coloumn formation.

Add 1 to attack when targeting coloumns with cannon fire (massed infantry is more vulnerable).

Line:

Must be deployed in 2 ranks. Front rank firing, rear rank loading.

A unit deployed in Line ignores the General reload time.

Square:

When defending against Cavalry double the models defence value.

Maybe you could also use the morale stat when units are trying to change formation. More elite units would have less problems with adopting new formation under the stress of battle.

Ok thanks, I added those rules in. Now I was thinking about maybe a Mass Calvary charge rule, say When you are doing a Mass Calvary charge add +1, if there are Cuirassiers present add +2 morale. The units have more confidence since their is heavier calvary with them.

Edit:

I was also thinking about adding some rules of when officers die to lower morale.

When an Officer is killed lower the morale of his regiment by 1 (Doesnt affect Old Guard).

When the commander of the Army is killed lower all units of that Army by 1 and add +1 to the units of the Enemy army for a full turn.

Artillery bombardment:

When a regiment (excluding Old Guard) is being bombarded lower their morale by 1 due to fear. (disreguard if they have 7 morale)

When any unit reach's a morale of 0 he is immediatly overrun by fear and retreat's off out of play for the rest of the game.

Mr. Fordo,

I'm curious as to how you derived the ranges and troop movements for each type of soldier?

Also, not sure if already asked :-/ , how are you going to keep track of each individual soldier?

Are you thinking of using a bunch of tally sheets on a sheet of paper or are you going to use a computer or palm?

Thanx,

P

The easy way would be to group them into battalions, squadrons and batteries.

Depending on how many troops are in each Regiment you'd add that man 1's to the total of Hp's, let's say 20. So when the regiment is under fire how many hits it takes you'd subtract that from 20 (or the amount of units in the regiment) and remove that many units.

I would probably use Microsoft Excel spreadsheet or a piece of paper.

Depending on how many troops are in each Regiment you'd add that man 1's to the total of Hp's, let's say 20. So when the regiment is under fire how many hits it takes you'd subtract that from 20 (or the amount of units in the regiment) and remove that many units.

I would probably use Microsoft Excel spreadsheet or a piece of paper.

Got it *y*

Seems like that'd work pretty well for the HP's

My brother and I are trying to develop our own pirate wars game, it'd be nice if our rules and yours mesh together a little maybe.

We haven't even started on troop attributes, rules, or anything, but maybe we could use some of yours? X-D

we've been mainly working on realistic tactics and strategies of ship to ship and ship to fort combat. And the different types of cannons and their attributes used on ships.

Hey you have any rules developed for troops attacking a fort yet?

P

We haven't even started on troop attributes, rules, or anything, but maybe we could use some of yours? Sure that'd be great.

Hey you have any rules developed for troops attacking a fort yet?

Hmm, units attacking a fort just like the Battle of Acre. I'll think more about this and see what kind of rules I can come up with.

Ok, For attacking fortifications:

The building must be atleast 10 studs high to be considered a fort.

To be considered a siege the attackers must have atleast 4 cannons present.

When charging the fort with over 40-60 units then raise the units morale's by +1.

Depending on the thickness of the Forts wall's destroy segments that are fired upon and hit by 3 cannon ball's. If the wall if thicker than 6 studs 6 cannon shots are needed to destroy that segment of the wall.

The defenders of the fort can hold their positions as long as they have 2 or more morale if not they retreat 10 studs away from the battle if they have 1 morale, if they have 0 they are removed from play due to fear.

Any comments and additions to these rules would be great Thanks!

Sign in to follow this