just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

You guys seeem to be all about weird speculations and conclutions... You ever get confirmed information wrong come on people.

At least we now have the piece count for all four sets :wink: 858 seems to be somewhat little, especially when compared to the equally priced 9474 Battle of Helm's Deep (1368 pieces), but there's two reasons for that gap: 1) 9474 had a ton of small parts, especially 1x2s for the walls and 2) Smaug's going to consist of several new, big moulds if the video game cover is any indication :laugh:

You guys seeem to be all about weird speculations and conclutions... You ever get confirmed information wrong come on people.

That's what im saying. But Floundie seems to think that the second biggest is Lake-Town, Didn't people say at Toy Fair that it was BO5A?

That's what im saying. But Floundie seems to think that the second biggest is Lake-Town, Didn't people say at Toy Fair that it was BO5A?

There were a lot of conflicting reports from the London TF. It's possible that the $30 set is Lake Town, the second biggest is BOFA, and Erebor includes Smaug. But it's also fine to speculate otherwise when nothing has been confirmed. See?

At least we now have the piece count for all four sets :wink: 858 seems to be somewhat little, especially when compared to the equally priced 9474 Battle of Helm's Deep (1368 pieces), but there's two reasons for that gap: 1) 9474 had a ton of small parts, especially 1x2s for the walls and 2) Smaug's going to consist of several new, big moulds if the video game cover is any indication :laugh:

considering pieces / prices, dragons usualy cost like 20£ alone 600 piece set might ccost 80£ if it contains a dragon for example. smaug seems to have new modsl for everything and is lsienced so i'd add that to the reason.

There were a lot of conflicting reports from the London TF. It's possible that the $30 set is Lake Town, the second biggest is BOFA, and Erebor includes Smaug. But it's also fine to speculate otherwise when nothing has been confirmed. See?

Got it :wink:

I forgot; Andrew also states the release dates were shown as October.

Now that sounds promising :thumbup: I really hope this turns out to be the real release date instead of December :laugh: Let's see, retailer catalogue + LTF report + NYTF report stating October vs. picture of Bard saying December :tongue: Either way, pictures probably won't turn up before SDCC :grin:

its odd that after they had the sets in London we still don't really know that much about them

I didn't think we have had any figs confirmed? Have we? Just some speculation and assumption based on a few quick glances of preliminary stuff at London TF?

It's really unhelpful when posters decide to write up "confirmed" lists that, from what I understand, are not. And then to have others try and edit that supposedly confirmed list while adding in wishes and speculation... yeah, I'm glad I'm not someone who pays little attention, otherwise I'd be damn confused.

It would've nice to get a strict summary of "what we learned" in the Toyfair aftermath. Just not sure some posters wouldn't hijack it :(

We could always get OP or a mod to pin a list of confirmed information at the beginning of the thread; that way it stays reliable and there's a lot less confusion.

We could always get OP or a mod to pin a list of confirmed information at the beginning of the thread; that way it stays reliable and there's a lot less confusion.

Okay, hit me up- what's the confirmed list? :sweet:

Okay, hit me up- what's the confirmed list? :sweet:

Here's a clean list:

79015 Hobbit 5 - 101 pieces. $14.99 (USD) $15.99 (CAD)

79016 Hobbit 6 - 313 pieces. $29.99 (USD) $34.99 (CAD)

79017 Hobbit 7 - 471 pieces. $59.99 (USD) $84.99 (CAD)

79018 Hobbit 8 - 858 pieces. $129.99 (USD) $119.99 (CAD)

London Toy Fair reports:

Ianmrid's report on EB

(Witch-King) seemed to be part of a small, surprisingly cheap set - £11.99 I think - that had three minifigs: Elrond, Witch King and Galadrial, plus a cursory bit of scenery.

The Lonely Mountain set was lots of sand green and looked pretty large - with lots of gold and hidden sections for more gold and jewels. The arkenstone was just a standard blue gem, but it might have just been a preliminary as Smaug was (he was just a castle dragon standing in!)

The mountain was a playset of the inside rather than anything external.

The other two (I think) sets were more of the village and one included Dain Ironfoot, the other the Bowman's Son amongst a number of other figs, but we didn't get long enough to see who they all were.

It was totally unclear which one Smaug was a part of - they had him set up closer to Laketown tho - but that's not a great indication!

Huw's report from Brickset

(Four) sets will be available in October. They did not have names. One was a small rock piece, the middle-priced one was another part of Lake-town, a tower IIRC, and the largest featured Smaug. It was a nondescript structure made predominantly from sand green. I'd like to tell you what minifigs are included but I can't remember.

There were dwarves, orcs, elves and men in the sets. I remember only Galadriel who's in the smallest one I believe.

So, there are 4 sets:

The small one with Galadriel and the witch king

Lake town bell tower has some important character something like bain? in it

Battle of the five armies, I don't recall much about that

The Lonely Mountain, the one with Smaug in it.

Barry's report from BrickFanatics

There will be a Smaug similar-sized to the standard LEGO Castle dragon. The Witch King minifig glows in the dark. The Elrond fig looks like the polybag figure. The bargeman’s son comes in one of the sets (3 buildings, an addon to the Laketown Chase)

bigospedros' report from FBTB

There was a minifig that would glow in the dark (the Witch King?) in the £11.99 set, that also came with two other figs (that I have no notes on).

There was a Lake Town Bell Tower set (name subject to change) which included Bain (£34.99 i think)

A £59.99 Battle Of The Five Armies set, comes with a few figs, one of them perhaps (I had to google what I thought she said and this is what it came up with) Dain Ironfoot (??)

The £99.99 set was called The Lonely Mountain, which comes with some kind of dragon thing (Smaug?) but it was not at the fair - it was instead represented by a red dragon from the Castle line. It comes with Bilbo and a few others.

Most of the audio is her demonstrating play features of the sets, not the figures ...

And then there's this image:

12566925475_abf0d4a7ca_z.jpg

Edited by Floundie

That's what I'm talking about!

I'd read all that before in fragments, but nice to have it together summarised. Great work Floundie.

Here's a clean list:

79015 Hobbit 5 - 101 pieces. $14.99 (USD) $15.99 (CAD)

79016 Hobbit 6 - 313 pieces. $29.99 (USD) $34.99 (CAD)

79017 Hobbit 7 - 471 pieces. $59.99 (USD) $84.99 (CAD)

79018 Hobbit 8 - 858 pieces. $129.99 (USD) $119.99 (CAD)

Yup thanks Floundie

Doesn't Lego use place holders for their early set piece counts? For instance the $50-60 sets are usually listed as 471 pieces but can vary when the set is actually released? I always see people get worked up and confused about a piece count early on only to find out it wasn't the real piece count. Just look at Lake-town Chase last year. Everyone was confused why it had so few pieces at CC but the real piece count turned out to be much higher. 858 pieces for a $130 set seems small. Really small. Even if it has a huge molded dragon I can't imagine it being under 900 pieces unless it is just littered with panels and huge parts. Even Dol Guldur Battle had quite a few bigger pieces and that set still had 797 piece and was almost half the price at $70 MSRP. You are telling me a dragon and 50 more pieces = $60? No way.

As for the "confirmed" info on the Hobbit wave.. just look at the info Floundie posted. All the reports are conflicting so it's no wonder we dunno the exact details. One report says Smaug looks like he is in the Lake-town set, two others say Erebor. One report says Lake-town is a smaller set ($30?) while another list it as being bigger ($60?). About the only consistent info is Galadriel and the Witch King are in the smallest set.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum (at least as a poster).

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the piece count of the Erebor set. If the piece count is correct, it has almost exact the same number of pieces as the Goblin King Battle, which costs $100. This set also had a large moulded figure and is still 30$ less than the Erebor set. This might indicate that the remaining $30 could account for Smaug being quite big, which would be great news. The cost for Smaug would then be about $40-50. Imagine how big Smaug might be!

Thanks floundie for that compiled list, helps that we all have a frame of reference to discuss the sets. While a lot of the information is scattered and not confirmed, we still have ways to make educated guesses.

For instance we know that Erebor will feature Smaug for multiple reasons. More reports than not mention Smaug being part of Erebor and one said that it features the end of DoS with the company vs Smaug. Also the price for the largest easily accommodates a very large mold, otherwise the set is too expensive.

Now something interesting, BoFA set which is likely the 59.99 set has 30 pieces more than Weathertop and 11 pieces more than Laketown chase. More pieces are good when Lego needs to depict the five armies in a relatively cheaper or smaller set.

Just realized Black Gate is 656 pieces, that's almost 200 pieces more! I wonder what could account for this considering Black Gate has a horse mold and an exclusive Eagle along with 5 minifigs. The only way BoFA would have less parts is that it has more molds (helmets) and more minifigs or more large pieces.

Thanks floundie for that compiled list, helps that we all have a frame of reference to discuss the sets. While a lot of the information is scattered and not confirmed, we still have ways to make educated guesses.

For instance we know that Erebor will feature Smaug for multiple reasons. More reports than not mention Smaug being part of Erebor and one said that it features the end of DoS with the company vs Smaug. Also the price for the largest easily accommodates a very large mold, otherwise the set is too expensive.

Now something interesting, BoFA set which is likely the 59.99 set has 30 pieces more than Weathertop and 11 pieces more than Laketown chase. More pieces are good when Lego needs to depict the five armies in a relatively cheaper or smaller set.

Just realized Black Gate is 656 pieces, that's almost 200 pieces more! I wonder what could account for this considering Black Gate has a horse mold and an exclusive Eagle along with 5 minifigs. The only way BoFA would have less parts is that it has more molds (helmets) and more minifigs or more large pieces.

It would seem to make more sense that the BoFA is set 79016. Especially if its the battle pack people hope it is. What major structure would be included for a battle that would justify the price? Having the Laketown set the larger would be more in line with previous sets, especially since I believe it will include Smaug. The difference between the two middle sets is only 156 pieces yet the larger set is double the price. I imagine Smaug will be similar size as the castle dragon that stood in for its place in London. That makes up for the difference in price. That of course is assuming these piece counts are correct.

Since the sets were not finalized at London it's extremely like that the piece count will change.

I also don't ever remember seeing a piece count for the largest set until now. Where did it come from?

Edited by Darth Punk

I dunno, I was looking at all the $30 sets for comparison. They are listed below with their piece count:

$29.99 - Uruk-hai Army - 257

$29.99 - Escape from Mirkwood Spiders - 298

$29.99 - Council of Elrond - 243

$29.99 - Mirkwood Elf Army - 276

You would THINK UHA and MEA would have the lowest piece counts due to higher than average minifigure count and the large molded creature both include (horse and warg). That's not the case though. Council of Elrond actually has the lowest number of parts which I assume is due to all the large panels and plates in it. MEA has the second highest piece count. All four sets are within 55 pieces of each other. It's harder to compare other price points in the LotR/Hobbit lines because there aren't near as many. Just taking a look though:

$69.99- An Unexpected Gathering - 652

$69.99 - Dol Guldur Battle - 797

$79.99 - Mines of Moria -776

$99.99 - Goblin King Battle - 841

$99.99 - Pirate Ship Ambush - 756

$129.99 - Battle of Helm's Deep - 1368

So looking at these, the prices seem to be all over the place. The 70-100 dollar priced sets are all within 200 pieces of each other. Pirate Ship Ambush has the worst piece count for it's price but this is no doubt due to all the large molded ship haul pieces. Helm's Deep and DGB are the best in terms of price per piece because of course they have no large molded pieces between them other than a horse. If the Erebor set really is $129.99 and has 858 piece that would put the price per piece at $0.15. Of the sets listed above Pirate Ship Ambush has the worst ppp at just over 13 cents. Could a large molded dragon really account of that much of the set's price (almost $40-50?)? It seems unlikely considering the dragon in the Castle set came in a $50 set and had hundreds of pieces and several minifigures with it...

Edited by Deathleech

Thanks everyone. And kevkipo I see now that you may be right about Laketown being the $30 set, sorry if my last comment towards you seemed rude.

The only way BoFA would have less parts is that it has more molds (helmets) and more minifigs or more large pieces.

I think a new mold for Beorn in bear form is likely. Now do you think we'll see the eagle mold reused?

It would seem to make more sense that the BoFA is set 79016. Especially if its the battle pack people hope it is. What major structure would be included for a battle that would justify the price?

I'll have to edit my original post; there's a missing part where Barry mentions there were 3 buildings, supposedly add-ons to LTC. We know Bain is included in the bell tower set. So probably the other two buildings were parts of Dale. (Ianmrid says the two middle sets were 'more of the village', and one included Dain)

Huw: There were dwarves, orcs, elves and men in the sets.

Thanks to the production videos of DOS, we've seen that Thranduil will fight in armor at Dale. It's also snowing.

So, we can conclude that it's not unreasonable to expect the larger set will have two ruined snowy buildings, Dain, dwarves (Unless Huw meant dwarves of the company, in the erebor set, let's hope there's some of both), orcs in armor, elves, Lake towners, and possibly Thranduil in armor. And maybe Bolg can fit in there somewhere. Okay, that's way too many figs.

Edited by Floundie