Paperballpark

MOC: Twin 0-6-0 Pannier Tank engines

Having just put batteries in the battery box of the Dark Red engine, I have discovered that Big Ben medium driver wheels do not have very good grip. Especially when one of the motor axles has blind drivers on it (so it can go around corners), and the battery box sits directly over that axle and the only non-driven axle.

Seriously, it spins the wheels when setting off - even without any wagons - and can't move at all if it has more than two wagons attached. Does anyone know if the Lego rubber bands fit around the Big Ben medium driver wheels?

EDIT: To be clear, it's very likely my design which means it's not got enough traction.

I think when you attach the connection rods, all the engine's wheels will spin, so there will be less traction, don't know though, if this will change when coupled to some rolling stock?!

Edited by ScotNick

I think when you attach the connection rods, all the engine's wheels will spin, so there will be less traction, don't know though, if this will change when coupled to some rolling stock?!

Actually I think there may be more traction, because the connection rods will make the non-driven wheels move too, which is what the battery box is sat directly above. Hmm...

You could try using slices of bicycle wheel inner tubes. Some of the race bikes have really skinny wheels that might just be small enough.

Dan-17

Right, after another BL order, I've modified the areas between the wheels so that they're less 'boxy'. I must admit, they do look much better now:

11997644535_9a25934c3c_b.jpg

11997927323_5bbab987b1_b.jpg

11998447136_1d10103360_b.jpg

Actually, If youre looking for traction tires, I found Lionel 3 rail a good source. Though I dont know where you could get those in the UK. Maybe online?

Right, after another BL order, I've modified the areas between the wheels so that they're less 'boxy'. I must admit, they do look much better now:

Yes, surprisingly so given how well they looked to begin with. The hinges are a great piece to add texture.

You could try using slices of bicycle wheel inner tubes. Some of the race bikes have really skinny wheels that might just be small enough.

That sounds like a promising idea, I bet if you asked really nicely at the local bike shop they might even let you have an old flat tire for free.