04smallmj

Mysterious cargo bike set - Life of Budapest #2620

This set recently appeared in my Twitter feed and I wondered if anyone here could shed any light on it.

post-9283-0-09691200-1388261410_thumb.jpg

I've searched for many words to describe this, including "cargo bike", "bakfiets" (a Dutch cargo bike, which it has a great resemblence to), "life of Budapest Lego" etc and nothing has come up. I've also tried searching for the set number on Google, Brickset, Peeron and Ebay, and it just comes up with part number 2620 and Duplo set 2620, which is a sports car released in 1980.

Could this be a promotional set only given out at a convention or something similar?

Any info would be great, as a big fan of cycling infrastructure in the Netherlands and of Bakfietsen, I'm very intrigued by this.

Yep, looks like a photoshop to me, and quite a bad one at that too. The "bakfiets" seems to consist of two cut-up bicycleframes and a wheelbarrow with its handlebars and wheelholder cut off.

For what it is, it looks like one of those modern "bakfietsen":

Kopie_van_babboe-033-081010.jpg

Personally, I like the old fashioned ones better:

workcycles-classic-bakfiets.jpg

Interesting, thanks for the replies ;-). I wish this was real, but oh well, I'll make my own bakfiets :P.

jfbat - I prefer the modern bakfietsen ;-)

But why Budapest? there are no such bikes in Hungary. It looks Dutch as others have said.

But why Budapest? there are no such bikes in Hungary. It looks Dutch as others have said.

I thought that too, Hungary (and Budapest) doesn't have a very high cycling modal share and it isn't known for its bicycle designs or manufacturing either.

I thought that too, Hungary (and Budapest) doesn't have a very high cycling modal share and it isn't known for its bicycle designs or manufacturing either.

Because the box tells us....life of Budapest.. But i'm 100% sure it is fake.. even the boxart is of bad quality...and the minifigs would nowadays never have such a 80-looking torso's.....

On 12/30/2013 at 7:23 PM, Yooha said:

I would speculate that someone from the Budapest Critical Mass Community must have ‘shopped it.

In the early days of the movement, we made a lot of community photoshopped advertising material, using popular themes from Star Wars to Krtek (Mole cartoon), obviously all without licence.