LukeWarmTea

Cheapest way to buy Lego.

Easy question - what's the cheapest way to buy a lot of Lego?

Harder bits:

- I live in New Zealand, so anything bought overseas comes with a whopper price for postage.

- I want to build a few MOC's to create a town for my daughter's Friends and minifigs to cohabit, and as a new AFOL and KFOL (she's 5) we're starting from a very limited resource pool of bricks. I'm looking for navy roof tiles, tan coloured bricks etc - the kinda thing you don't get in bulk lots from Mum's-getting-rid-of-their-now-grown-up kid's toy collection.

- I am pretty damn poor.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Alexandra

Bricklink could be your best friend or a slippery slope to 'places-best-left-unmentioned'. I logged on and found a list of sellers in NZ.

http://www.bricklink.com/memberList.asp?countryID=NZ&v=2&viewUserType=2

These guys are selling Lego individually - just cobble together a wanted list of pieces and see who pops up in NZ with a match to those pieces. Don't forget to include postage when your estimating the cost (and it should be there on the Sellers splash page) - , but at least these would be local (to you) shippers.

Warning: Bricklink can be addictive

If you don't mind the bricks being well used, you could have a look around some car boot sales / flea markets (not sure what they'd be called in NZ), or check the classifieds section of the local newspaper - maybe even send in a "LEGO Wanted" ad?

Bricklink could be your best friend or a slippery slope to 'places-best-left-unmentioned'. I logged on and found a list of sellers in NZ.

http://www.bricklink...&viewUserType=2

These guys are selling Lego individually - just cobble together a wanted list of pieces and see who pops up in NZ with a match to those pieces. Don't forget to include postage when your estimating the cost (and it should be there on the Sellers splash page) - , but at least these would be local (to you) shippers.

Warning: Bricklink can be addictive

Thanks Eurotrash! Yes, I have been on before (looking for Anna and Peter figs) and have found even Hong Kong postage is often cheaper than buying second hand here - Lego prices really hold their own at this time of year!

If you don't mind the bricks being well used, you could have a look around some car boot sales / flea markets (not sure what they'd be called in NZ), or check the classifieds section of the local newspaper - maybe even send in a "LEGO Wanted" ad?

Thanks Gnac - they are called car boot sales, or flea markets, but we don't have many. If any. Most common are garage sales, - which tend to include front lawns as well - that are just one private home selling from their home.

Cheers all!

Hi there - I find that the cheapest postage costs to NZ are actually from European countries. For example, I just did a decent sized Bricklink order from a seller in Germany, and the postage came to 7 Euro. Ive paid more than that to send something up the road to Auckland.

Have a look in the buy/sell/trade forum here for the thread 'New Zealand - where to find Lego', most of us Kiwis will put up a message if we see any decent deals around.

But yeah - Bricklink. Theres a reason why its nick-named Cracklink. So dang addictive.