Martin_B

WIP MOC: modular gothic cathedral

wow, looking even better! question, do you just keep it on your floor? :laugh:

thanks! :) Re: keeping it on the floor. I don't have much choice but to keep it there because I don't have a table in my flat large enough! :laugh: It can break down into sections though, and I do have a table large enough to hold one of those at a time. I can work on it easily that way, but displaying the thing when it's finished will be a different matter entirely!

thanks! :) Re: keeping it on the floor. I don't have much choice but to keep it there because I don't have a table in my flat large enough! :laugh: It can break down into sections though, and I do have a table large enough to hold one of those at a time. I can work on it easily that way, but displaying the thing when it's finished will be a different matter entirely!

haha! cross that bridge when you come to it, you still have a lot of cathedral to go! :wink:

The anticipation! This is sure to rock the community when finished. Such brilliant design work so far... can't wait to see it done!

The south transept is almost done - I have the two side towers to finish and then I can do the same on the opposite side.

The south window, with its random Gerhard Richter-inspired colour pattern, looks okay but the fine tracery is really hard to recreate at minifig scale, even with 1x1 plates:

16045283338_8633b8c392.jpg

After a few days playing around with it, I decided this was as good as it was going to look and left it at that!

Thanks Sigolf and fumpy - I'll try to do a rough estimate of the piece count by adding up how much goes into each window, buttress etc and multiply it up. The results may well scare me. :cry_sad:

This update was later than planned, due to a house move. One transept is pretty much done, with another trip to Bricklink needed to get some plain grey minifigs to serve as statues:

19973488596_86be7abfd6_c.jpg

The inside view of that section:

19991986922_0b7b1734a6_c.jpg

Moving it isn't quite as bad as it sounds, fortunately. The towers are removable, and the sections are just the right size to fit onto a shelving unit (which is in the garage while I sort out where I'm moving to next). The only issue really is with the upper part of the windows: the cheese slopes drop out if you bump or tip it.

In the next two or three weeks, the other transept will be finished so it'll be (almost) three-quarters complete!

Wow, this is such a beauty, I really enjoyed following the progress, beautiful build, congratulations!

I would really like to see some gargoyles at play, but even without them, it looks beautiful!