Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #86: Gaiden

Hershey, cleaning herself on the porch, notices the group entering the house. She decides to follow closely to Karie, rubbing against her leg occasionally.

The party walks through the door, entering Augstus's house.

beX5x9V.png

A black corseque, almost identical to Octavyn's, hangs on a mantle. A masked figure comes walking down the stairs, Augstus turning his head to look at the person. The figure seems to light up at the sight of the gold-clad admin.

3SFwQa7.png

"Uncle Octavyn! And Miss... Alderflask, right?"

It seemed to be the voice of a girl, likely in her teens. Octavyn smiles and waves back.

PDNmfNS.png

"Hey there!"

2w2nVBk.png

"Well... This is my daugher, Olivia. Apparently some of you have met her..."

PDNmfNS.png

"Yeah, pretty sure you've introduced me, Augustus." Octavyn smirks.

2w2nVBk.png

"Yes, and I'm beginning to regret it. Olivia, hun, why are you wearing that outfit?"

3SFwQa7.png

"Today is sparring practice, dad! Everyone who attends gets to square off against the leader himself... No one has managed to bring him down yet. Not even Octavyn, hah."

PDNmfNS.png

"No need to rub it in, my dear."

Augustus shoots Octavyn a glare.

2w2nVBk.png

"I left her in your mentorship so you could train her while you worked, not so a friend of yours could."

Octavyn shrugs.

PDNmfNS.png

"Look, do you want us to solve this wailing issue, or not?"

3SFwQa7.png

"Huh. You guys are on a mission?"

Edited by Endgame

Karie gives Olivia a smile. How the hell she got away with a skirt, high heeled socks and boots was anyone's guess.

"Hey, Olivia."

She looks about Augustus's house. It seemed like the kind of place Kayla and her would have huddled in. She then turns back to Olivia.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. It's nothing that important, though. At least, considering my normal routine..."

She found it hard to remember herself at Olivia's age. It began to eat at her. She moved to the wall and looked up at the corseque. It reminded her of that night months back, when it wasn't this cold.

"You got a story behind that weapon Augustus? I'd like to hear it."

Best be sociable, Karie. You may hate the Wolfgang, but that doesn't mean you need to hate someone because of politics.

Baradock made himself comfortable finding a seat. Here we go again, more small talk.

That weapon did look oddly familiar to Octavyn's, and he guessed it wouldn't hurt to listen...

He remained a bit skeptical that Augustus would share that kind of information to anybody, and even worse, a member of his rivaling faction.

Edited by Cryos

Skrall turned to the girl, "Just here to investigate a few goings on at the light house." Unable to find a suitable chair, Skrall leaned up against the stairs.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. It's nothing that important, though. At least, considering my normal routine..."

3SFwQa7.png

"Normal routine, huh? What does that entail?"

Augustus look at the corseque on the wall, grimacing.

2w2nVBk.png

"...A gift. From Octavyn and I's mentor."

PDNmfNS.png

"Is it story time, big brother?"

2w2nVBk.png

"It most definitely is not." Augustus spits.

"So, as for what Ive seen and heard... Times haven't been easy, and my brother certainly isn't helping. I've been working both as a chef and fisherman - two almost full-time jobs crammed into one. During one of the few days I actually get off I cast line ear the lighthouse - thought I'd relax by casting line by the lighthouse, maybe catch a crab or two for dinner. Long story short, I heard something; some agonized screams. Interestingly, I was fishing on about level to the lighthouse. It sounded like the screams were coming below me. It sounded human; bits and pieces of words, and I'm fairly certain I heard a prayer to Ennoc. Whatever the origin is, it speaks. I can't say for certain, though; I just heard a faint echo of the noise, not the noise itself.

Also, as fate would have it, rumors slip through the hovels wall with ease. I've heard that four people have gone missing in the Hovels... The names are never consistent, but every version of the story I've heard that has slipped through the cracks has involved four people being abducted in the dead of night.

I've also heard that some drug-addled idiots have chosen to investigate the wailing. Claim all the glory for themselves and become "true heroe", they say. Pssh. Those morons have probably snorted so much, their brains are stuck in the Seventh Heaven permanently. Idiot knaves - probably spending more time huffing Pixie Dust and laying around the lighthouse then doing a thing.

Now, anything else you want to hear?"

Edited by Endgame

Baradock shrugged. Four people huh? Thats our lucky number he thought, counting the people in the party.

Baradock wasn't known for having bright ideas, but every dog has its day.

Baradock picked up a quill dipped in ink and a sheet of thin paper that was beside it, lying on the table. Obviously Not caring for whatever significance it may have had.

It was however, clear.

He began to sketch out his plan, getting odd looks from the rest of the party. Once he finished he showed it to the others.

They would act like bait and be abducted, break free, find the source of the screams and escape.

Ocvtavyn takes a long, scrutinizing look at the paper before concluding:

PDNmfNS.png

"...That seems a bit convoluted, don't you think, Baradock? If we know the approximate location of their base, the Lighthouse is not a huge search area - it'll take an hour to find, tops. I imagine it'd be simpler than possibly putting our lives in jeopardy.

I mean, the option is on the table, but I feel as if breaking in manually would be a bit less dangerous."

Baradock gives a miffed grunt.

'Don't look at me again for any bright ideas,' he thought, irritatedly as he laid back in the chair. Acting as if he never gave a damn about this stupid plan.

Karie picks up the piece of paper given to her, looks it over with a look of bafflement, disgust, and horror, then gives it back to the barbarian.

"Oh, worry not, my sweet. Denial is just the first stage of grief, that is all. You'll come to terms with reality... eventually. Learn to enjoy my presence or suffer the consequences, my beautiful little lab rat."

"Keep the paper, you can write on it for communication purposes. Second of all, your plan is just about the most flawed thing in this room besides me. How do we get kidnapped? How do we not get painfully tortured? How do we know if we'll survive said torture? I've been under the knife once before, I'd prefer not to be a second time."

It takes her a minute to reconcile what just got planned out as she turns to Augustus.

"I know the first question isn't as important as the second, but can you give us the names that were thrown out of the missing people? Secondly, who were these cracked up junkies?"

2w2nVBk.png

"In the rumors I've heard, the names are never consistent. The junkies... Probably just drugged out citizens with a sudden god complex. Too many of them run around the streets nowadays."

Second of all, your plan is just about the most flawed thing in this room besides me.

PDNmfNS.png

"Hey, no need to beat yourself up like that! You're doing well enough for yourself... You're dating Mr. Perfectionist, for Ennoc's sake."

Augustus looks at the ogre.

Skrall turned to the girl, "Just here to investigate a few goings on at the light house." Unable to find a suitable chair, Skrall leaned up against the stairs.

3SFwQa7.png

"Man, with you, Octavyn, the barbarian and Miss Alderflask, you should be able to step all over whatever is lurking down there!"

Augustus gives a weary smile.

2w2nVBk.png

"You always were the optimist, Olivia. Guess you've picke dup something good from my brother."

Olivia puts her hands on her hips.

3SFwQa7.png

"Oh, and you're not, huh, Mr. Pessimistic?"

Augustus shrugs as he begins to tend to dinner.

2w2nVBk.png

"Life plays cruel tricks. That's all I'm going to say for now."

Edited by Endgame

The ogre grunted, "Not a bad idea, but seein' how we already know where the screams are comin' from, 'twould make more sense to start their first. How long ago did the screams and the rumors of the abductions take place?

PDNmfNS.png

"Hey, no need to beat yourself up like that! You're doing well enough for yourself... You're dating Mr. Perfectionist, for Ennoc's sake."

"Yeah... I suppose so."

Karie didn't know how sincere she was in saying that. Her previous quest had left her with questions about herself and the people who populated the hall.

"I'm no Miss Sunshine, Octavyn. I'm certain you know that."

The ogre grunted, "Not a bad idea, but seein' how we already know where the screams are comin' from, 'twould make more sense to start their first. How long ago did the screams and the rumors of the abductions take place?

2w2nVBk.png

"I talked to the Town Watchmen 9 days ago, and heard it 10. The rumors I can't give you a solid number on."

"Yeah... I suppose so."

Karie didn't know how sincere she was in saying that. Her previous quest had left her with questions about herself and the people who populated the hall.

"I'm no Miss Sunshine, Octavyn. I'm certain you know that."

PDNmfNS.png

"Oh, I've noticed. But you have people to lean back on now, at any rate, so that's nice, right? I'm sure Mr. Bossman would want nothing more then a heart-to-heart...

I told you you'd make a great couple, did I not? And you didn't believe me at the time..." Octavyn chuckles.

2w2nVBk.png

"I talked to the Town Watchmen 9 days ago, and heard it 10. The rumors I can't give you a solid number on."

"So the screams might or might not have been those abductees. I'd imagine folks are disappearing from the hovels all the time, most of 'em are probably too concerned at stayin' alive than keepin' tabs on everyone who comes in or out. Still, if those folks were the ones who were screamin' that might mean whoever's inducin' such tortures will need more victims sooner or later."

PDNmfNS.png

"Oh, I've noticed. But you have people to lean back on now, at any rate, so that's nice, right? I'm sure Mr. Bossman would want nothing more then a heart-to-heart...

I told you you'd make a great couple, did I not? And you didn't believe me at the time..." Octavyn chuckles.

Karie ponders about what Octavyn said. She remembered that conversation back at the Albatross, amidst the fighting. It seemed ironic now.

"I suppose I did say something along those lines, didn't I?" Hershey looks up at Karie, almost with a sense of mischief. Karie rolls her eyes as she pats herself down, finally revealing a small bag. Hershey goes nuts, rolling about, meowing like it's the end of the world. Holding some out in her hand, Karie lets Hershey at some catnip, calming her down.

Baradock pocketed the paper began to tap his foot to wane his impatience. He obviously didn't want to stay here any longer than needed.

The plan was pretty much set in stone, and not like anybody is taking any suggestions...

He didn't see the reason to drag this out any longer. But being locked up and away from society for years can really damage your social skills.

"Well, I guess we can go if everyone else is ready."

Karie stretches before turning to Augustus, giving a small, yet identifiable smile.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Augustus."

She then turns to Olivia.

"And I want you to be careful! Stay out of trouble, alright, I'll see you in a bit."

"And I want you to be careful! Stay out of trouble, alright, I'll see you in a bit."

2w2nVBk.png

"I think associating with the Syndicate is plenty of trouble in of itself..."

3SFwQa7.png

"Oh, calm down Dad, you're going to give yourself an ulcer.

See you all, everybody!"

With a merry wave Olivia steps out the door, walking past her uncle and his companions, her boots clacking all the way out the door.

PDNmfNS.png

"...Must you always take a shot at the Syndicate whenever you are able, Augustus?"

2w2nVBk.png

"You know my opinions on them, Octavyn."

PDNmfNS.png

"They get your daughter home safe and sound every night, don't they? And they're giving her the training you wanted her to get."

2w2nVBk.png

"No, Octavyn, I wanted you to be her mentor! I felt as if I wasn't paying enough attention to her, what with two jobs, so I sent her to be with you during the daylight. I didn't expect her to come back home one day in a white mask and combat boots! I thought she was an intruder, for Ennoc's sake!"

Octavyn sneers.

PDNmfNS.png

"They're paying her, though, aren't they?"

2w2nVBk.png

"Oh sure, they do... A pathetic amount, not to mention apparent overworking of Syndicate members. Their supposed dark past doesn't help ease my feelings at all, nor does the boss supposedly having an affair with one of his own employees."

PDNmfNS.png

"Okay, so you don't like The Syndicate. I get it. But I'm getting the feeling that your resentment doesn't lie entirely on the Syndicate, brother."

2w2nVBk.png

"Was it not apparent?! Almost every visit here ended in distater, even when it wasn't related to the Syndicate!"

PDNmfNS.png

"So what did I do make you spite me so much, huh, big brother? I've been making sure your daughter is getting her training, aren't I?"

2w2nVBk.png

"I wouldn't have to send her out with you if you didn't get yourself barbequed in that alley a year back!"

Octavyn draws back a bit, surprised. Was this the first time he had heard of this?

PDNmfNS.png

"...Wait, what...?"

2w2nVBk.png

"You assaulted some Wolfgang members in what was nearly broad daylight! Do you think they'll trust me when my own brother started a fight with them? While you were getting yourself lit up in some alley, they were cutting the amount of aid you get. Do you think I just spontaneously decided that I wanted a second full-time job? Do you think I wanted to leave my daughter home alone while I worked? It was a misjudgement letting you mentor her... I thought you wouldn't get her into even more trouble, but it appears I was sorely mistaken!"

Octavyn is left nigh speechless.

PDNmfNS.png

"Augustus... I didn't know..."

2w2nVBk.png

"Of course you didn't know! You don't think about the consequences of your actions much, do you, Octavyn! It'd explain your staggering optimism... You never have truly understood the consequences of what you've done, have you?"

PDNmfNS.png

"If there's anything I can do to hel-"

Augustus cuts his younger brother off.

2w2nVBk.png

"No. You can't help, Ocvtavyn - you've made that clear enough over these past few years!"

Augustus turns around, facing his back towards the paty. His hand glides across the glistening corseque, his reflection distorted on its shiny black surface. It seemed regularly polished. He sighs, and gives his ultimatum.

2w2nVBk.png

"My hospitality has run dry. Octavyn, leve. Now."

Banished from Augustus's house, Octavyn silently heads out the door, the party deciding to follow suit. They exit the house, the owner shutting the door behind them with noticeable force.

With that ordeal over, the party begins their walk to the lighthouse.

PDNmfNS.png

"Sooooo... What'd you think of Big Brother?"

"Things never go as planned. Sounds like neither of you two have been completely honest with the other. I won't say either of ya are wrong or right completely, just that one of ya is better at shoutin' at the other."

"Mreoow. <I thought he was very rude. Not a single offering of food.>"

"Hershey, will come here."

Karie picks the cat up and places her on her shoulder to rest, the feline licking her face.

"Octavyn, I'm less concerned about your brother than I am you. You took that pretty hard back there. You sure you don't want to slow down for a minute?"

Karie looked over to the ogre. It would perhaps be wise to get to know the other talking member of the party.

"So, Skrall, you see, like quite the accomplished individual. You got any stories to share?"

"Some might say accomplished, I look at it as bein' in the wrong places at the wrong times. Took a few quest huntin' down a witch with a god complex, spent a some months in the Fields slayin' monsters, and did an odd job or two fer the town watch."

"Hmm. Well, sounds more interesting then what I'm usually up to. Just recently had to deal with a self righteous, witch hating metasimian and his assassin buddy during my latest outing. Not very pleasant, at least near the end."

Karie continues to walk with the lumbering ogre, slightly annoyed considering the thought that blasted it's way into her head.

"You know Thothwick, don't you?"

Skrall chuckled at Karie's description of Thothwick before her question, "Ah so you've met Thothwick. Not bad as far as heroes go. But yes, he does have a thing against witches doesn't he? Did he never tell ya why?"