Sign in to follow this  
parksroad

AFOL but never a CFOL?

It seems hard to imagine a childhood without LEGO, but did anybody here become an AFOL without ever being a CFOL? I've recently bought a couple of the sets that I wanted but never got as a kid and wondered how much nostalgia has to do with keeping LEGO as an adult. There's certainly enough (modular buildings, Architecture, Creator, all the big exclusive sets) to get an adult interested even if they never had LEGO as a kid. If you weren't a fan of LEGO as a kid, what brought you here?

Some of us "AFOL" are actually true CFOL. I may be almost 40 but I never left my first childhood. :laugh:

I got started in LEGO with a gift of X1 Patrol Craft.

yes, there are some AFOL who's never been a CFOL before. i know several of them.

Nice :tongue: I just had a huge bucket of basic bricks at first. When I realized at about age ten that there was so much more than that my mind was blown...

I didn' t get involved with LEGO until I was in my late 30's when We started to buy sets for my son. It was 10 years later when my wife got me some sets for Christmas as a joke. 10 years later I got interested in Mindstorms and sveral years later I got interested in modulars.

I am a an AFOL late bloomer.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I got interested in Lego at my late 30's when my son got his legos at age 6. At age 8, he bought a big box full of technic bricks at a yard sale and at age 10 he started asking for the modulars. I just got interested in lego's last year when we had a family night and my two son's suggested to build with lego's and since then, my family have been attached to them. So I basically never got Lego's at my age since I lived in Mexico for my whole childhood, which means I was never a CFOL.

Me. My wife gave me Fallingwaters as a gift a few years back. I had fun with it and went on line a while later and discovered Robie House. Then it was off to the races. So, I didn't know about Lego until I was almost 60. Coincidentally, about six months after becoming an AFOL, Lego opened a store two miles from my house. However, I really don't like shopping malls so most of my purchases are on Lego.com. Free shipping and usually three day delivery.

I grew up loving (and I still do in some cases) other toys/programs, not Lego. I always liked Matchbox cars and build cities out of cardboard etc. when I was a kid and many, many years later after flicking through the channels I saw a Lego add for the 09 City Garage range or something like that. Then I found Lego.com, Brickset, then EB, and then I passed the hobby, in a way, to three of my friends and later my Girlfriend, then my cousins, and so forth. I've never actually got the Garage, but I've got a four foot city full of everything but a Garage, then I started on Space, then Pirates, then Castle, and then pretty much anything I liked, or I could get for a deal.