Sign in to follow this  
squizz

Brick Owl for parts?

Gidday all, just a quick question...has anyone ever used this site for buying technic parts? Any comments would be appreciated..i.e shipping costs, reliability etc. Thanx Pete

I haven't used it yet. I don't particularly care for the search system, but that might also be because I'm so used to bricklink right now. There is quite a feud between those two companies currently, if that sways your opinion of either.

In the end, I think brickowl has a nice idea that it lays out the shipping costs up front, but with it being new there aren't as many sellers on there right now. As far as prices go, I think they are pretty much identical on the pieces I've looked at. As far as shipping to your area, I have no idea.

Gidday all, just a quick question...has anyone ever used this site for buying technic parts? Any comments would be appreciated..i.e shipping costs, reliability etc. Thanx Pete

I bought some technic parts off a seller on Brick Owl after being directed there from Rebrickable - the integration worked well. Like Bricklink, it is just a marketplace so your experience will depend on which shop you deal with. SuperBrick was absolutely superb.

Edited by Fatteh

Yes, here's a link to a great write-up about the feud (from a really good blog about new lego parts)

http://www.newelementary.com/2013/09/bricks-inc.html

I've always liked Bricklink for searching parts as much as purchasing them. But they shouldn't be the standard. That should come from the lego group.

And whatever the naming standard is should be free to view and use. I really don't like the slant the new Bricklink is taking on this issue and won't be using them in the near future until this unfolds. I only make intermittent second-market purchases, so it doesn't really affect my habits - I'm sure there are some for whom this may be a much harder decision to make.

Up until this litigation, I hadn't even heard of Brick Owl - but I will definitely take a look now!

Ever since BrickLink was sold, I have been waiting nervously to see if any other "shoes" dropped (i.e., things changed for the worse). It looks like the new owners are mounting a legal battle against anyone who uses their API's or even their naming convention. One would hope the owners would make their taxonomy freely avalable, as it has to a large extent become the industry standard. There is still a lot of money to be made for the owners from contnuing to preserve the marketplace as a vibrant community-- if they start nitpicking and clamping down on other members of the ecosystem, it will be very unfortunate.

Keeping fingers crossed and still hoping for the best....

--Rob

I am not happy with the situation.

BrickOwl seems easier to use but it's still new and with too limited available selection, plus as someone said above, BL isn't happy with BO.

Bricklink has far more stuff and usuallycheapest around but I keep getting long wait and non-responding connection, I think they are able to fire the current internet service connecting BL server to the internet.

eBay is still overpriced and too limited. Sellers there wouldn't hestitate to charge you $10 to ship one piece. The high fee of eBay isn't helping, something like around 12 or 13% of total cost, including shipping

I don't have a dog in this fight... but I will say that Bricklink has always stated that they are a BUSINESS database (for use by their sellers to sell)... and NOT a REFERENCE database.

That distinction has caused some problems for old time collectors.