Brainbox

Transformers

DarthSion, Being a fan of transformers and my brother being a fan of transformers, both having liked the movie and the originals, I would say that the "true fan" can look past who is directing it, look at the interest it has generated in the theme, and enjoy the benefits of it happening. No offense, but if they had made it like you want, do you think there would be a sequel to it?

You do not sound like so much of a fan but a critic.

I think the main problem with fans like DarthsSion is that they need to realize that the movie can't just revolve around what only they want to see. Although the transformers fan base is big, its not big enough to cater simply just for them. Thats what straight to DVD movies are for. In order to be sucessfull around the world they need to cater to as many people as possible. This is why certain changes are made to design, story etc.. But as blockbeard has stated, he too is a TF fan along with his Brother and they too enjoyed the movie. :classic:

I don't expect a movie like the original, just one done by a real director, its Bay for crying out loud, he hasn't made a single good movie ever.

Ok, then whom? I've heard alot of bitching from G1 fans that want a different director but no one can seem to through out a decent sugjestion.

With the 09 toy fair comes pics of TF ROTF toys. May i present to you....

DEVESTATOR!

r_dsc01774.jpg

As far as Devastator goes, there are three versions planned. The first is the $100 version where the six individual Constructicons do not have robot modes, just vehicles mode that reconfigure to form the gestalt (think Voltron). That Devastator will be 2 feet high and about 4 feet wide. The next is the individual Constructicons that do have robot forms but cannot merge. The last is the PowerBot that doesn't really transform, it’s the Devastator look on the front and the individual vehicles painted on the back.

Breakdown of the six constructions:

Demolishor - red O&K/Terex RH400 Hydrolic Mining Excavator (torso)

Rampage - yellow Caterpillar 992G Front Loader (right arm)

Long Haul - green Caterpillar 773B Dump Truck (right leg)

Mix Master - silver Mack Cement Mixer (head)

High Tower - yellow Kobelco CK2500 Truss Crane (left arm)

Scrapper - yellow Caterpillar D9L Bulldozer (left leg)

As you can see, the RH400 from the trailer gets an official name. Overall the leak back in October was on the mark on the Constructicons except for the duplicate dump truck which now seems to have been a potential alt design for Long Haul.

The CGI version...

1234360772_Devastator.jpg

When i first saw it, i didn't care for the design to much. But after a while it grew on me. One things for sure, he looks very menacing whitch i believe was the main point. I'll reserve full judgment intill i see it on screen.

My guess is the 3rd movie. Forgive me as i can't remember from memory, but did the dino bots also form a combiner?

Not originally, people have had thoughts about a dinbot combiner, and there was one I think in a Mertrodome published comic The Beast Within called 'the Beast' (this this takes place in a unique micro-continuity detached from the rest of G1) but otherwise nothing.

Wowzers...

I was going to say "no" but thought I should do my home work. You did it for me!

A dinobot combiner would be the best. I recently sold me G1 dinobot for Lego. He was damaged and I wanted a few imperial guards... try about 80... good deal!

Regards, Cpt. PB

Guys, I was given the opportunity to see and mess around with Sideswipe, The Fallen, and Starscream.

Starscream is simply awesome. Great transformation, and his jet mode is way better than the previous versions. He is somewhat smaller than the 2007 starscream, but good nonetheless.

The fallen is great, but as always, I'm not a fan of the futuristic jets like megatron. But man, his face is just awesome. Sideswipe is much better than Jazz, and his car mode is just fantasic.

Guys, I was given the opportunity to see and mess around with Sideswipe, The Fallen, and Starscream.

Starscream is simply awesome. Great transformation, and his jet mode is way better than the previous versions. He is somewhat smaller than the 2007 starscream, but good nonetheless.

The fallen is great, but as always, I'm not a fan of the futuristic jets like megatron. But man, his face is just awesome. Sideswipe is much better than Jazz, and his car mode is just fantasic.

I hate you. :D Go, leave. Do it now.

Your hands have touched the amazingness that is Starscream, and from what I've heard and seen he is much better than the original. And let me ask you, how did it feel, what did it taste like, did it smell of freshly baked bread? Give me every detail, I need to know! D:

And it is.

His vehical mode is simply amazing. Gone is all of the nonesense baggage and guns, and it is now a very sleek jet. It's about the same size as the old starscream, but not nearly as fat. His head is a bit obvious at the back, but it looks better when flipper around.

His robot mode is smaller, and much more clean than the other starscream. His is a bit shorter, and his legs don't look as awkward. His torso connects together to make it smooth, and sleek of a body, the thing I like most about him.

I believe mike has posted a video review of him over at tformers.com, as well as some of the other toys.

Not originally, people have had thoughts about a dinbot combiner, and there was one I think in a Mertrodome published comic The Beast Within called 'the Beast' (this this takes place in a unique micro-continuity detached from the rest of G1) but otherwise nothing.

That thing... Oh god that thing. It's so hideous that many people including myself pretend it never exists :cry_sad: . Picture is linked because it's to disgusting to deeplink.

(The horror)

I'm really liking ROTF Rampage in bot mode..

29hi5e.jpg

25ko87r.jpg

2mfde83.jpg

Very animal like and looks meancing! Just like what the decepticons should look. I know many arent fans of "Bayformers", but i have to say i like'e, Its nice that thier thinking out side the box on alot of these designs.

Pic of his vehicle mode..

2yx3gvd.jpg

Edited by 5150 Lego

While I'm not really a fan of Bay's movie, either, I have to say that the movie designs challenged the toy designers; consequently, the toys have become much more diverse, innovative, and complex, both in detail and transformation. I'm a huge fan of transforming toys, and they are what have sold me on Transformers since 1984, not the various media. That said...

G1 is and always will be the heart of Transformers for me, because that's where it all started, and every incarnation since has drawn from that core. I'm not opposed to TFs taking a different look or direction; I think BW, BM, and TFA are all great series, and they are all departures from G1 in many ways, but they all focus on the bots, their personalities, and the ongoing struggle between the two factions. If Bay and his writers had made these three items their focus, with much less focus on Sam as a guide and friend to the bots, I think it would have been a far, far better movie. Design wise, I realize we're stuck with the current aesthetic; my chief gripe is that there is no set transformation to these things..each transformation shot is unique based upon the angle of the shot, and all rely purely on cut and paste CG magic. I realize the cartoons fudge, but with a realistic machine changing form, transformation should be consistent so that the same parts hinge and link, and otherwise travel the same way every time. I still think they'd have been much better looking had they been designed along the lines of the Alternators.

Needless to say, I'm not excited for the second movie. I'll see it, with realistic expectations that it's going to have more explosions, more bots, and more Shia. :hmpf_bad: I'm more interested in some of the toys coming out...challenging the toy designers to innovate is the single best thing that Bay's movie has accomplished, IMO. Thanks, Michael! :laugh:

While I'm not really a fan of Bay's movie, either, I have to say that the movie designs challenged the toy designers; consequently, the toys have become much more diverse, innovative, and complex, both in detail and transformation. I'm a huge fan of transforming toys, and they are what have sold me on Transformers since 1984, not the various media.

I agree. Media has never played a part in any toys i owned as a kid, currently own, or plan to buy in the future. Design is wat has always sold me. This is probbly why the movie bots are some of my favorites.

G1 is and always will be the heart of Transformers for me, because that's where it all started, and every incarnation since has drawn from that core. I'm not opposed to TFs taking a different look or direction; I think BW, BM, and TFA are all great series, and they are all departures from G1 in many ways, but they all focus on the bots, their personalities, and the ongoing struggle between the two factions. If Bay and his writers had made these three items their focus, with much less focus on Sam as a guide and friend to the bots, I think it would have been a far, far better movie. .

While i agree that seeing more bots and less humans would have made the movie better, i really don't see people gripe with all the human presence in the Movie. Espeacailly when you consider a few things.

I think the main thing that prevented more bot presence in the movie was budget. Both bay, as well as Dreamwork said that this was a learning experiance as far as designs and animation. They used up as nearly all the computer power with the animation that was in the first movie, as well as movie budget. (animation took the majority). I've heard arguments of "They should have used less well known actors to increase the animation budget", but i don't think that would have helped. Other than Jon Voit and Tyresse, the other actors weren't really all that popular. TF was Megan Fox's first real movie, Shia only real movie before this was Disturbia.

I aslo fell the relationship between sam and the autobots was nessasary to tell the full story, as well as show bumble bee's compasion with humans. Ya, the decepticon could have had more time and character development. No argument there. But again, it was a learning experiance.

Also concerning other TF series, i don't think its fair to compare them to the movie. Its a lot easier to make the story more about the bots when both the humans and bots are all animated. In the case of the movie, all the bots are animated whitch contributes to most of the budget. In G1, TF Animated, or Beast wars, everything is animated from the bots, to the humans, to scenery. So the stroy could easily made more about the bots and their war.

I really think that Bay and his writers learned alot from the first movie and previews for ROTF are showing that.

Design wise, I realize we're stuck with the current aesthetic; my chief gripe is that there is no set transformation to these things..each transformation shot is unique based upon the angle of the shot, and all rely purely on cut and paste CG magic. I realize the cartoons fudge, but with a realistic machine changing form, transformation should be consistent so that the same parts hinge and link, and otherwise travel the same way every time. I still think they'd have been much better looking had they been designed along the lines of the Alternators..

I'll agree that on screen transformations were done more for "wow" factor than consistancy, but i don't fell they were that far off. As far as using the Alternator designs or simular, i think that would have been a big mistake. To blocky and basic. Like G1. The movie designs have alot more diversity and detail that i think alot of people expect from a movie like this. When it comes to CGI animation, people demand the best, and bots based on the alternator lines would have looked sub par on the big screen.

Needless to say, I'm not excited for the second movie. I'll see it, with realistic expectations that it's going to have more explosions, more bots, and more Shia. :hmpf_bad: I'm more interested in some of the toys coming out...challenging the toy designers to innovate is the single best thing that Bay's movie has accomplished, IMO. Thanks, Michael! :laugh:

Well you have to remember what your going to see. Its a movie about transforming alien robots. Most people would rather see fighting and expolsions, rather than dotor Phil interviewing Optimus Prime about his feelings. :tongue:

Its an action movie. Its meant to be fun. :classic:

Well, I wasn't exactly looking for Dr. phil moments :tongue: , but some character development on both sides would have made the movie more about the title characters. The hackers and Sector 7 were pointless, IMO, and added nothing but a sense of loathing to the movie. Design wise, Neither Megs nor Frenzy looked like a Transformer, and don't even get me started on Frenzy..in short, I hated him. Scorponok is not a Transformer; he just becomes a backpack for one. :classic: I'm aware that Megs will not deign to take an Earth based alt, but his bot mode could have been made to resemble his G1 appearance, since he's an iconic character and should be easily identifiable. I see nothing has changed for the second movie, as Megs , now a Cybertronian tank, still in no way looks like a transformer, and his tank mode is vastly unappealing, IMO. Toywise, I've never been a big fan of Cybertronian alts,; I favor a decent Earth mode, as that's their disguise. So much animation was wasted on showing the Autobots hanging out in Sam's backyard...could have been put to better use showing the Decepticons searching for Megs. BB urinating on the agent...just didn't belong..it felt inappropriate, not from a moral standpoint, but from a character standpoint; he's a robot, and he's a good guy, so why a mock display of such lowbrow human behavior? I could go on, but there's no point. It is what it is, and the franchise will continue in kind as long as Spielberg and Bay are making these movies. I know what to expect going in now; a movie by a guy who was never a fan of his subject material.

To me, there's so much to despise about the first movie, and so very little to redeem it. I personally hope that Transformers will get another reimagining for the big screen a few years down the road, a la Hulk, that is very G1 and graphic novel based, albeit with an updated look to the Transformers, but without such a radical departure as Bay's bots. Too, I hope the focus of said movie is on the bots. To me, this will satisfy the folks who didn't feel like they got the movie for which they waited 20+ years. On a positive note, I liked the inclusion of the military in Bay's movie; if something like this came to Earth, we would most likely shoot first and ask questions later.

Design wise, Neither Megs nor Frenzy looked like a Transformer, and don't even get me started on Frenzy..in short, I hated him. Scorponok is not a Transformer; he just becomes a backpack for one. :classic: I'm aware that Megs will not deign to take an Earth based alt, but his bot mode could have been made to resemble his G1 appearance, since he's an iconic character and should be easily identifiable.

I'll agree that Megs design should have been more reconizable. Not nessasarly exactly like he did in G1, but simular. Like Prime did. NO argument there. But problem is, you really don't have bay to blame for this. After people saw the movie, i remember reading the many, many threads, were after seeing him on screen, most people seemed to aprove of his design. If anything, he was probbly the most menicing looking of the decepticons. Whitch i believe is what the designers wanted. On screen i think he worked well to get the point across, but still was my least favorite of any of the bot designs.

I see nothing has changed for the second movie, as Megs , now a Cybertronian tank, still in no way looks like a transformer, and his tank mode is vastly unappealing, IMO. Toywise, I've never been a big fan of Cybertronian alts,; I favor a decent Earth mode, as that's their disguise.

I never bought, nor cared for the cybertron alts. For me it was always about earth modes. I'm with you there.

BB urinating on the agent...just didn't belong..it felt inappropriate, not from a moral standpoint, but from a character standpoint; he's a robot, and he's a good guy, so why a mock display of such lowbrow human behavior?

Cause it was damn good comedy thats why! Heck, i nearly pissed my pants when i saw that i was laughing so hard! Espeacaily when Prime said..

"Bumble Bee, stop lubricating the man!!". :tongue: Classic!

I could go on, but there's no point. It is what it is, and the franchise will continue in kind as long as Spielberg and Bay are making these movies. I know what to expect going in now; a movie by a guy who was never a fan of his subject material.

Well can you sugjest a director that is a fan that could have done better? I heard alot of complaining during the making of the first movie that they should have had a director that was a fan of TF. Even if you do find a director that was a "fan", that doesn't nessasarly mean that he'll do any better of a job. Keep in mind thatwhen you make a movie like this that will be scene world wide you need to apeal to more than just the hard core fans. To be honest, the fan base alone isn't large enough to make a movie in this scale based around on just what they want to see. personally, i think Bay was a Perfect choice.

To me, there's so much to despise about the first movie, and so very little to redeem it. I personally hope that Transformers will get another reimagining for the big screen a few years down the road, a la Hulk, that is very G1 and graphic novel based, albeit with an updated look to the Transformers, but without such a radical departure as Bay's bots. Too, I hope the focus of said movie is on the bots. To me, this will satisfy the folks who didn't feel like they got the movie for which they waited 20+ years. On a positive note, I liked the inclusion of the military in Bay's movie; if something like this came to Earth, we would most likely shoot first and ask questions later.

If they can have the character development you speak of, but still keep the action of bay's movies, then great. I have a feeling were going to see that in ROTF.

With the 09 toy fair comes pics of TF ROTF toys. May i present to you....

DEVESTATOR!

r_dsc01774.jpg

Devastator? NEATO!

...Ok, where is he?

...I don't... ...I... ...oh... ...oh no... no...NO.

Really, I thought the first movie couldn't get worse.

Those CGI scribbling goons proved me wrong.

devastator_power_miners.jpg

To be fair though (not like I wasn't being), I do like 2 figures from the new movie line. Knockout looks like a fun toy as does Long Haul... though that could be because Long Haul was in fact a fan design that's been bopping around the internet for over a year now... at least I THINK it's a fan design.

Long Haul toy: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/JINZONINGEN...b_long_haul.jpg

Long Haul fanart by "kazumajr": http://www.majhost.com/gallery/JINZONINGEN...by_kazumajr.jpg

The rest of the figures... Jetfire, the Fallen, the poor construction vehicles, even WHEELIE... no. No.

No.

I'll agree that Megs design should have been more reconizable. Not nessasarly exactly like he did in G1, but simular. Like Prime did. NO argument there. But problem is, you really don't have bay to blame for this. After people saw the movie, i remember reading the many, many threads, were after seeing him on screen, most people seemed to aprove of his design. If anything, he was probbly the most menicing looking of the decepticons. Whitch i believe is what the designers wanted. On screen i think he worked well to get the point across, but still was my least favorite of any of the bot designs.

I never bought, nor cared for the cybertron alts. For me it was always about earth modes. I'm with you there.

Cause it was damn good comedy thats why! Heck, i nearly pissed my pants when i saw that i was laughing so hard! Espeacaily when Prime said..

"Bumble Bee, stop lubricating the man!!". :tongue: Classic!

Well can you sugjest a director that is a fan that could have done better? I heard alot of complaining during the making of the first movie that they should have had a director that was a fan of TF. Even if you do find a director that was a "fan", that doesn't nessasarly mean that he'll do any better of a job. Keep in mind thatwhen you make a movie like this that will be scene world wide you need to apeal to more than just the hard core fans. To be honest, the fan base alone isn't large enough to make a movie in this scale based around on just what they want to see. personally, i think Bay was a Perfect choice.

If they can have the character development you speak of, but still keep the action of bay's movies, then great. I have a feeling were going to see that in ROTF.

I didn't find the urinating scene funny at all...I groaned, and felt horribly dismayed. Out of the whole movie, " I ate the whole plate", and "handsome man" (Sam, placating his dad to prevent his seeing the bots), were the only two lines that made me smile. I thought the humor in Bay's movie was plain awful. I don't just blame Bay; his writers, who claim to be lifelong fans of Transformers, wrote the movie, so I heap a great deal of unspoken invective upon them, as well.

Admittedly, I'm not aware of any Hollywood directors on record as die-hard fans of Transformers. Then again, I've never searched, either. My own pick, if he were to direct movies again, would be James Cameron. He was arguably one of the best sci-fi directors in Hollywood before he made Titanic and subsequently dropped out of the movie making business in favor of documentaries. I think Robert Rodriguez could make a good Transformers movie, as well. Bay would have never even entered my mind; I'm actually surprised that Spielberg didn't helm the thing himself, or try shopping it to his friend, George Lucas. I love Star Wars (OT), but I don't think I could handle Lucas' direction:

Megs, to OP "I see you have taken an Earth form for disguise; your degradation is complete."

OP, in reply "Megatron, join me and the Autobots, and we can end this destructive conflict. There is good in you, I have felt it within the Matrix. But be warned, Megatron, for if you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

Megs "I'll never join you, Prime! I am a Decepticon, like my maker."

Prime "So be it, Decepticon."

While I admire your optimism, I expect alot more action in ROTF, but the same, if less, character development due to the increased number of bots. In a 2 hr movie, it would be tough to flesh out so many new characters, and add more depth to any bots from the first movie. Action and explosions, and more frenetic dialog from Shia, in addition to more nearly indistingishable bots in blurry action shots. I'm curious if this movie will do as well as the first; I think the box office take was high due to so many fans wanting to see their beloved Autobots and Decepticons duking it out on the big screen. Alot of those fans were disillusioned by Bay's take on the franchise and may not bother with it this time around. I didn't see the first in the theatre (I was deployed at the time), and quite honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if I missed ROTF. It'll be out on DVD around Sept-Oct.

The whole movie franchise just SADDENS me, from the movies themselves to the toys.

So much potential was lost. They could've had a subtle, intelligent approach instead of a slapstick, cheap humor, cliche-ridden THING.

It made money on being expensively "cheap".

Now they've got a movie that might do okay in theaters, but has messageboards of people groaning at the upcoming figure line... a LOT of those names I recognize as apologists from the first movie.

Oh well. Maybe in like another 20 years, something awesome will happen.

Then again, movies might not be anything like they are today in 20 years.

We might be seeing movies with full-sensory perception, jacked straight into our cortex through a port.

Movies might be totally interactive inside one's head.

...what was this topic about again? Oh yeah, major blowiness. : (

The whole movie franchise just SADDENS me, from the movies themselves to the toys.

So much potential was lost. They could've had a subtle, intelligent approach instead of a slapstick, cheap humor, cliche-ridden THING.

Now they've got a movie that might do okay in theaters, but has messageboards of people groaning at the upcoming figure line... a LOT of those names I recognize as apologists from the first movie.

We might be seeing movies with full-sensory perception, jacked straight into our cortex through a port.

Couldn't agree more. "Major blowiness" :laugh: When Michael Bay was announced as director, I didn't know who he was. The Rock was his only movie that I'd seen, and I liked it, for the most part. I'm not a big Nick Cage fan, but Connery is the man, and Ed Harris is generally great in everything he's in. Anyway, When I read that Spielberg made the trip himself to secure the rights to make the movie, I figured he was going to direct. I'm not sure how it would have turned out...then again, he let Bay use Orci's screenplay.

I don't know if we'll be "jacking in" in 20 years, but I can see alot more progress in 3D, perhaps an ability to control the camera angle and zoom...very much like alot of video games. However, beyond better cameras, I don't think the core art of filmmaking will change too radically; after all, a film is the director's vision, and I doubt that many of them would want to give the viewer options. Now, I could see alternative shots being created by the director to tone down or eliminate certain scenes with mature, sexual, and violent content, available in the main menu. The viewer has the option to select the scenes he wants to view, and hits play. The movie would still flow, and edited scenes would hint at, or merely explain somehow, the events rather than graphically showing them. In effect, a director has the option to crerate an "R" rated film, but in the theatre, both versions could be shown, thereby reaching a wider audience and generating more revenue. Win, win situation. I can see the use of film going away in favor of disc technology. Of course, many filmmakers would still want to use film, but small digital media would severely cut down on the cost of transporting film canisters, and eliminate the degradation that film experiences over time. The use of film in our digital age seems to me something of an anachronism.

While I admire your optimism, I expect alot more action in ROTF, but the same, if less, character development due to the increased number of bots. In a 2 hr movie, it would be tough to flesh out so many new characters, and add more depth to any bots from the first movie. Action and explosions, and more frenetic dialog from Shia, in addition to more nearly indistingishable bots in blurry action shots. I'm curious if this movie will do as well as the first; I think the box office take was high due to so many fans wanting to see their beloved Autobots and Decepticons duking it out on the big screen. Alot of those fans were disillusioned by Bay's take on the franchise and may not bother with it this time around. I didn't see the first in the theatre (I was deployed at the time), and quite honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if I missed ROTF. It'll be out on DVD around Sept-Oct.

Yes, people did flock to the first cause of the anticipation of seeing them on the big screen for the first time (I really don't consider the 86' movie the big screen, more like an hour and a half long episode..., like the Simposons movie.)

Willit do as well as the first? Don't know. History has shown us that sequels don't generaly do as well as the originals, so we'll see what happens.

You do bring up a good point about more bots probbly means less Dr. Phil moments with the bots. Also remember that half the cast already got there introductions in the first movie, but one of the many complaints was there wasn't enough bot scenes in the first movie. Looks like they have addressed this.

Also, one thing i don't get that others like yourself have somplained about are the "Blurry battle shots". Maybe my eyes are better than most, but i just don't see it. I had no problems distingwishing whitch bot was who during battle scenes.

You crack me up JIN. :laugh: You claim the new movie was "cheap, slapstick, cheap humor, cliche, but yet thats EXACTLY WHAT THE G1 SERIES WAS! It was corny, lame jokes, horrible acting. As i look back i can't believe that all the bots could just lift up in the air and fly like superman. :wacko:

You have a set mind of what you want to see in a TF movie, so you won't be happy intill that is exactly meet. You'll always find somthing not to like.

One thing i'd have to disagree with both of you on are the majority of fans being upset with the direction of the movies. Before the first TF movie was out your correct, there was nothing but moaning and groaning about designs, story etc. After they actually saw the movie, most turned a 180 and really liked it. From what i've read on TF forums most aprove of the new designs from TF, to ROTF. The few fan boys that do decide not to go and see the movie cause its not what they invisioned, are the ones that are in the minority. Your always going to have people that are not happy. I have a friend who is a die hard Batman fan and hated The Dark Knight whitch most will agree was the best Batman film out of the bunch. But heck, your not going to please everyone.

I know i've said this before, but i think the new bot designs, (toys alike) for the most part are great. Perfect? No. I like devestator, but like megs, i think it would have been better to have him more reconizable. But i bet the point is for him to look terrifing on screen. I think they nailed it.

I wasn't going to say anything, but what the heck: I didn't find Bay's Megatron menacing, engaging, or otherwise interesting in any aspect. His dialog was so incredibly minimal and cliche as to make me cringe. And, to make matters worse, Hugo Weaving's voice was unrecognizeable as such; what a shame to take an actor with such a voice, and modulate it to the point where it wouldn't matter who supplied it. Add to that the fact that he in no way resembles a Transformer, and that his alt form is an absurdity born out of a poorly designed bot mode.

On the flip side, despite my general disdain for Cybertronian alt modes, I bought Animated deluxe Cybertronian Prime upon reading some very positive statements on the MacrossWorld Transformer forums, where criticism flows like the River Nile through the Egyptian barrens. I have to echo the high marks. All around excellent figure. His waist to upper torso connection come apart rather easily on mine, but in all other respects, he's a great fig.

I'm really not impressed with any of the animated figs. As gifts i recieved Animated Prime and Bumble bee figs. Niether could stand up on their own, and bumble Bee's paint has been flaking off since it was removed from the package. Prime alos doesn't want to stay toeghter in vehicle mode. Rear legs want to pop out and not stay locked. To be fair this was around a year ago, and many of the problems that the first wave of figures had claimed to have been fixed.

That said, i would still like to pick up Animated Ultra Magnus as i really ike his alt mode, and he seems to have one of the best bot designs of all the animated figures.