Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #78: As Thick As Thieves

I look down at Lydia, eyes downcast at her mangled body. I got down on one knee, choosing my words carefully.

"Lydia. I am undead. I am 428 years old, and yet only lived for one of them. I have known every single disgrace. Stabbed by those I tried to help, every house I tried to live in torched to ashes. I drifted alone and hated, despised for what I was.

But I am far from sinless. I've murdered, maimed, stolen... Lied, cheated, deceived, tortured. I killed my own great grand daughter without even knowing it. In a vain attempt to keep an illusion of humanity, my fiance - the woman I loved - forced herself into prostitution. Little did she know it was I who was extorted money from the family, spending it on ethereal drugs to keep my appearance. I'm the one who fled when she learned of my crimes, leaving her crying in the street, pregnant with my child.

I've considered ending it many times, Lydia. The point is this: You have so much of your life ahead of you. Cherish it. Live life when you still have it.

I'm not killing you, Lydia."

Lydia continues to breath heavily, listening to Sorrow intently.

9354929520_bc1b9250dc_o.jpg

"I can't see what I've become any longer, Assassin. Your words mean everything and nothing to me. I am at the brink of death. I don't want Costello's help though... the bastard's responsible for enough misery as it is..."

Lydia looks at Costello briefly before shaking her head.

"Are you sure you want to go Lydia, it is not too late. You could join heroica and live a new life, it is not worth dying."

"I'll find my own way to regain my worth. If you feel I am still worth something, give me that phoenix essence."

Lydia hesitantly grabbed the essence and chugged it down. She slowly got up on her own and began to strip the armor off her, leaving nothing but a loose fitting shirt and a shorts.

"Don't follow me out... I want to be alone..."

She hobbles to the door, than begins to pick up her speed, making it to the door and out of the party's view. Had the part done the right thing? They didn't know for sure. Costello takes a moment to breath before continuing with the crank, a look of of melancholy in his eyes. Connor simply leans against the table as Costello continues.

9336894203_51b2c6dd7d_t.jpg

"I can see it, it coming up now! Connor, take the crank!"

Connor rushes to Costello and takes over the crank as Costello rushes to the pit to retrieve the item the party desperately fought for.

9840138906_afb69d5260_o.jpg

9568713083_72b1c24c1d_o.jpg

"My word..."

Costello brushes off the tablet with his hands, looking it over intently. Connor comes over to inspect it as well. The party closes in around Costello in awe at the relic.

9840099754_2c57b502d9_o.jpg

"I don't have time to translate this. We should get going. Now. Em... best you held onto this tablet."

9840180385_353126f6d4_o.jpgStone Tablet- A heavy stone tablet. Multiple symbols are etched into the tablet, a carving of a creature in the center.

Costello carefully cradles the artefact to Em, who takes it from his hands. Costello backs off once he does so. He says nothing but heads for the door. Connor takes one last look around.

"Good riddance to this awful place..."

He puts his hands in his pockets as he walks closely behind Costello, the party not to far behind. They make their way back out through the sewers and out on the road in silence. Who were the Order Imperial, and would they see them again? Just what were the three keys? And what would happen to Lydia? As the sun begins to peak over the horizon, the party makes it back to the Watt Manor. Connor begins to walk back down the road to Eubric when he turns to the party.

"Well lads, thank you kindly for your help. Me and Costello would have still been in that prison if it weren't for you coming to save us. Due to my status in certain circles, I'm as close to the Zeigfrieds as one could get, so if you want, next time I see them I can send in a good word if you'd like. I understand some of you have reputations to keep with the Guild, so if you don't want it, let me know and I won't bring it up."

He gives a reassuring smile.

Edited by Kintobor

"A good word is always welcome," Em mutters, looking around. He sighs, letting his shoulders slump. "Well, we did what we were hired to do."

He still wasn't sure their job was really finished, and he wasn't sure what to do. He would get the tablet looked at, that was for sure. And what of Lydia? Em feared that in her current state, she would seek vengeance. He kept an eye on the road, wary of an ambush. She was brainwashed once, and Em didn't trust her. He made an effort to not trust anyone brainwashed.

I walk out, silent, with the rest of the party. Another simple job that required roll a dozen or so heads. I saved one life, but who knows how well Lydia will fare? However, I hear Connor's offer. Maybe this was my chance. my chance to become a necromancer, to learn the art of raising the dead... Just like father.

"Much appreciated, Connor."

"Very well then lads. I'll send a good word in for all of you to the Zeigfrieds."

Connor looks down the road in the direction of the city. He looks back to the party trying to give somewhat of a smile.

"I'll be seeing you around."

Connor makes his way down the road, walking against the rising sun. Costello clears his throat.

"Best we sneak in and see my brother. Knowing him he's either stayed up all night or got up an hour ago."

The party makes there way across the grounds and up to the Watt Manor doors, Costello opening them with a key he removes from his coat. The party quietly makes their way upstairs to Abbot's study, the door ajar. Costello walks in with the party to find Abbot looming over some maps and other baubles.

9840130886_23f9b0c81e_o.jpg

8702483077_952ae62423_o.jpg

"Brother."

"Abbot."

"I missed you, Cos."

The two brother's embrace, patting each other on the back.

"Jeez, it's only been three months."

"Only three months! In those three months I've found the discovery of a lifetime."

Abbot turns to the party, a look of nostalgia about him.

"Thank you, heroes. It seems not only is your organization incredibly handy in battle, but also in sleuthing! 150 gold and a bottle of Ambrosia from the manor's personal cellar. I believe it was a good year too."

"Abbot, there's more to this story you should know. I fill you in later, but right now, I want to show you this."

He motions for Em to bring the tablet forward and place it on the table. As he does so, Abbot's eyes light up.

9840091734_cf1310e432_o.jpg

"Moon elf script!!"

"Indeed. Just looking at it now, the carvings appear to be some sort of hymn, or a song. However it cuts off in a peculiar place."

"Heroes, I'm not sure how familiar you are with history, but I was actually reading some old paladin texts and one specifically brought up three knights who after the sinking of Moone took three "keys"and went there separate ways. Of course, no one knows where these keys are, but the images accompanying the text included three tablets. I'd bet my life that this tablet is one of the keys! We're getting close to opening that vault door! All we need now are the other two and we're on our way! Heroes, I can't thank you enough! I'll have to go down academic lane again to find some evidence linking events to the knights, but we're in the clear!"

"I think I'll stick around here for now. I'll look into this Order Imperial as well. It would be wise to watch yourselves heroes. I think the worst is yet to come."

9840111335_6194e84fdb_o.jpg

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!!!

All heroes gain Zeigfried reputation!!

-The Party-

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. -Party Leader-

Unknown age male human ranger

Level 14.5

Power: 23

SP: 2

Health: 16/21

Gold: 285

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year)[/font], Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x5, Remedy x4, , Venom, Ice Bomb, Grand Potion, Mead x2, Quality Cutlass (WP:6, Dagger)

Equipment:White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe,Bow(WP:5), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Ambrosia

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome cleric

Level: 12.5

Power: 18 (12 + 5 + permanent boost of 1)

SP: 3

Health: 9/19 (9+10)

Ether: 8/15 (5+10)

Gold: 170

Equipment: Knotted Broom (WP: 5), Tricorne (suitable for anyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep, Tonic, Remedy x2, Potion x3, Bone x2, Grand Potion, Bunch of Cherries (10/10 cherries that each restore 1 ether when eaten, up to the user to choose how many are eaten at a time), Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Root beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.) Grating Stone, Ambrosia

V916GDK.jpgSorrow(Endgame)

428 years old undead Assassin

Level 24 1/3 *Immune to Light and Blinded* *Encouraged, Hastened, and Lucky*

Power Bonus: +1

Defense: 6

Health: 32/35 (7+21+5)

Gold: 1139

Equipment: Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27 Ice and Darkness Elemental), Sticky Gloves (Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear),Night’s Helmet (SP:6, immunity to light and blinded; headwear)

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 5), Armor of the Croise (SP: 1, +2 power; bodywear), Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians), Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes), Grand Potion x5, Health Core x2, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy x5, Phoenix Essence x3, Venom x2, Deadly Venom, Mead x5, Smelling Salts x5, Nostrum x5, Dragon Scale x1, Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Neutralizer, Disguise Kit (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.), Root beer(Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.), Tonic x1, Exterium (Can be used on an enemy to make them Confused and Plagued for 5 rounds), Ambrosia

rsz_1elgar.jpg

Elgar Gligin (played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 24 2/3 Druid *Immune to Fragile!*

Power: 34

Health: 25/38

Ether: 17/24

Gold:456

Equipment: Mockthril Crossbow (WP:11 Permanently Deadly envenomed), Chainmail (SP: 2, Bodywear: half damage from Fire elemental enemies and double from Electric elemental enemies) Emerald Hood (SP: 4, headwear, protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Fauxthril Longbow (WP: 5),Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz,,Opal, Aquamarine, Spade, Pickaxe, 3 Potions, Needlessly Large Rod (Non-Artifact Item, Curses a random enemy. Usable once per battle.) Does not prevent free hits. Grand Potion (x3), Fireworks, Remedy (x2), Hide of The Regret (halves damage from undead; suitable for anyone, backwear), Tonic, Grand tonic (x5), Root beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.) , Ambrosia

QM NOTE: That's a wrap! If you want to, you can talk to the Watt brothers still, and the Iron Knuckle Armor needs to be distributed still. Epilogue will be up in a bit. Thank you for playing, and I hope you had fun! :thumbup:

Edited by Kintobor

Em nods in thanks, then nods to the party. Another quest-- well done? Em wasn't sure. So many loose ends he felt the need to tie.

Em returns to the hall.

I catch the bottle of ambrosia, glancing towards the door.

"Thank you for the reward."

I head back to the Hall.

-Final Count-

ava-em.jpg

Name: Unknown. Most call him "Em," though his real name remains largely mysterious. -Party Leader-

Unknown age male human ranger

Level 14.5

Power: 23

SP: 2

Health: 16/21

Gold: 285

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year)[/font], Syndicate Cowl (SP: 2, Immune to Doomed effect)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x5, Remedy x4, , Venom, Ice Bomb, Grand Potion, Mead x2, Quality Cutlass (WP:6, Dagger)

Equipment:White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe,Bow(WP:5), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Ambrosia

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome cleric

Level: 12.5

Power: 18 (12 + 5 + permanent boost of 1)

SP: 3

Health: 9/19 (9+10)

Ether: 8/15 (5+10)

Gold: 170

Equipment: Knotted Broom (WP: 5), Tricorne (suitable for anyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep, Tonic, Remedy x2, Potion x3, Bone x2, Grand Potion, Bunch of Cherries (10/10 cherries that each restore 1 ether when eaten, up to the user to choose how many are eaten at a time), Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Root beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.) Grating Stone, Ambrosia

V916GDK.jpgSorrow(Endgame)

428 years old undead Assassin

Level 24 1/3 *Immune to Light and Blinded* *Encouraged, Hastened, and Lucky*

Power Bonus: +1

Health: 32/35 (7+21+5)

Gold: 1139

Equipment: Mockthril Longbow (WP: 27 Ice and Darkness Elemental), Sticky Gloves (Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear),Night’s Helmet (SP:6, immunity to light and blinded; headwear)

Inventory: Longsword (WP: 5), Armor of the Croise (SP: 1, +2 power; bodywear), Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians), Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes), Grand Potion x5, Health Core x2, Tonic, Ether Core, Remedy x5, Phoenix Essence x3, Venom x2, Deadly Venom, Mead x5, Smelling Salts x5, Nostrum x5, Dragon Scale x1, Chaotic Bomb (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Neutralizer, Disguise Kit (Accessory. Usable by anyone. Allows the user to disguise them self as the opposite gender.), Root beer(Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.), Tonic x1, Exterium (Can be used on an enemy to make them Confused and Plagued for 5 rounds), Ambrosia

rsz_1elgar.jpg

Elgar Gligin (played by Jedi master Brick)

Level 24 2/3 Druid *Immune to Fragile!*

Power: 34

Health: 25/38

Ether: 17/24

Gold:456

Equipment: Mockthril Crossbow (WP:11 Permanently Deadly envenomed), Chainmail (SP: 2, Bodywear: half damage from Fire elemental enemies and double from Electric elemental enemies) Emerald Hood (SP: 4, headwear, protects from Fragile)

Inventory: Fauxthril Longbow (WP: 5),Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz,,Opal, Aquamarine, Spade, Pickaxe, 3 Potions, Needlessly Large Rod (Non-Artifact Item, Curses a random enemy. Usable once per battle.) Does not prevent free hits. Grand Potion (x3), Fireworks, Remedy (x2), Hide of The Regret (halves damage from undead; suitable for anyone, backwear), Tonic, Grand tonic (x5), Root beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies.) , Ambrosia

-Epilogue-

9859870934_d045e53d6d_o.jpg

The captain and Gustav slowly walk towards the commodore, stepping over the bodies of the various guards. The foul odor of rotting flesh permeates the mess hall.

9354927832_1cca06a7e9_o.jpg

"Sir, what happened was unforeseeable. None of us could have-"

"Can it, John."

"Yes, sir."

Gustav takes a step forward and clears his throat.

9354928942_f14de581eb_o.jpg

"Sir, the alchemist's house was burnt to the ground. The authorities arrived quickly, but as far as they are concerned, it was an accident."

The commodore says nothing but begins to search his uniform. After a minute, he retrieves a letter, and hands it to the captain.

9859971533_fb78e5735c_o.jpg

9339683004_2a3f0cced8_o.jpg

"You are to take this to his lordship in the villa. It contains all the documents you'll need."

"Need? What for sir?"

9339683004_2a3f0cced8_o.jpg

"We're still ahead of the game, John. Tell your men to set sail for Baltarok."

SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE HEROICA MASTER!

The following item has been changed to prevent future grievances:

6881559506_0d94c7f111_t.jpgExterium: A substance that can wreak havoc on someone's insides if consumed. Can be used on an enemy to make them Confused and Plagued for 3 rounds.

Also, the QM has failed to explain what the Plagued-effect does, exactly, so using this item is up to the holder's responsibility.