Sign in to follow this  
MSP

[MOC] The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The Maltese Falcon is a 1930 novel by Dashiell Hammett, one of the best known novelists of detective novels of the first half of 20th century. Although the next year the novel had a first screen adaptation and a second comical one five years later, it was the 1941 version the best known of them. It was the first film directed by the, until then, screenwriter John Huston, who also penned the screenplay, and was starred by Humphrey Bogart.

This is a MOC that I had tried to construct before, but it was the 3-difference contest of the Catbrick 2013 what finally put me in the correct path.

It represents a scene of the 1941 film version, that you can see here, although I had to remove Mary Astor from the MOC as I did not have the adequate pieces to represent her. I am giving no more details in case you have not seen the movie or read the book.

The MOC:

EHM_110.jpg

The Black and White version is composed of the only four current colours in production allowed: White, Black, Light Bluish Gray and Dark Bluish Gray, except for the bird that has the old Dark Gray colour.

And the question is, when turning to Black and White are the tones similar? There you have the decision:

EHM_120.jpg

And some more photos.

EHM_140.jpg

EHM_150.jpg

EHM_180.jpg

EHM_190.jpg

EHM_160.jpg

EHM_170.jpg

And finally a comparative photo where you can see the differences.

EHM_130.jpg

I hope you have liked it.

Yo have all the photos on Flickr.

Edited by MSP

I hope you have liked it.

I do! It's been a long time since I watched the movie, but from what I can recall you certainly seem to have gotten it down.

Your creation here is another one of those things that's similar to something I'd been planning to do for a long time, but hadn't gotten around to yet (in this case, building a black-and-white recreation of a scene from a black-and-white movie). I've long had this idea for something I'd like to see as official LEGO sets of the sort they'd sell to AFOLs through the direct channels, actually - a whole series of such scenes. The specific ones I was thinking of would include Frankenstein's laboratory from Frankenstein, Rick's Café Américain from Casablanca, and Klaatu's saucer landing from The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Excellent work 'MSP'........Brick On and always remember this is........"The stuff that dreams are made of !"

Good MOC - interesting idea.

I have to say, this is one of my favourite films ever - a great book and a superlative film - not a wasted moment - if anyone out there hasn't seen it then do so now.

I would think another good MOC from the film would be Sam Spade's office - big desk and all the accroutements of a private dick's office in the 1930s.