Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Vintage Minifigures

Also known as: I discovered my old Lego box has NONE of the minifigures in it. What do I do now?

My son's main gift from us for his birthday this year (Age 6) is my old Legos. I got to wondering "What if they molded in all these years (more than 10) I haven't had them open. What happens if they are slimy, or in other ways unusable. " So last night I opened them up and enjoyed the memories.

There are lots and lots of pieces there. Most of the instruction manuals (The kitchen manual, at least, is missing. But I found that one online). I don't know if all the pieces are there because I didn't start to put them together.

The old homemaker figures are there. (The ones you put together 2x4s and other blocks)

But I don't have any of the minifigs!

Not the kids in the Bathroom and Kitchen sets.

261-1.jpg

269-1.jpg

Not the firemen

6382-1.jpg

and not the space men neither.

6950-1.jpg

I know why. It's my fault. I used the minifigs with my Barbies and my doll house play. So they got stored away from the Lego. Who knows where. By now they may even have been given away. But I am bummed and trying to figure out what to do for figures for my son.

Maybe he won't need any? Buy current day figures -- but for some of these I need KIDS, not adults. Try to scrounge stuff up off ebay?

(Set 190 is fine because it has no minifigures, just the build them up kind)

It doesn't matter how many times I see pics of sets like 261; it just looks wrong! Like some weird mash of parallel universes.

I see quite a lot of Homemaker figs and sets on eBay; as there is relatively little interest in them, you can pick them up (even MISB) cheaply if you are patient.

Good to know caperberry, I LOVE the Homemaker sets. They (and set 190) were my gateway into loving Lego.

Lots of roleplay potential.

Bricklink! You can buy anything from one piece to the rarest sets out there!

Search for the figs by your set numbers and see who has them!

http://www.bricklin

k.com/

I agree bricklink the best place to get the pices from.

The hardest or most expensive to replace will probably be the classic spacemen. There is a huge market of classic space collectors. (Plus the yellow and white figs did not always weather the years that well so ones in good condition are much sought after.)

The firemen can go either way depending on whether you are looking to recreate the exact set, or just give him some firemen to play with. You can easily get figure packs of moder police and firemen.

The classic homemaker figs can be found at a reasonable cost. Because of their odd "transitiona" nature there isn't a huge collectors market sucking them up.

As far as the classic Minifigs and homemaker children. Once again it will depend on if you want 100% correct replacements, or acceptable ones. Many many of those old fig designs were recreated as part of a series of 4 Toys R Us promotional packs last year.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5000437-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5000438-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5000439-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=5000440-1

So many of those should be available singly on Bricklink or EBay at reasonable prices.

Those Minifigure Collection sets are really cool. You say those were out just last year?!!! Wow.

In any case, I was convinced my son needed minifigures. And I, at least, need my Homemaker minifigures in particular. They have a special place in my heart. So I've used Bricklink and am waiting on invoices. Thank you! I'd never have found that site on my own. (and I was able to find them for prices I was willing to pay. If the Homemaker figures had been $10 each, I might have got just them. For any more, special place or not I'd have had to make do with the abundance that is out there now)

Edited by Sarah

Beware that the arms of homemaker figs tend to wear out, also the blue ones are often badly discoulered. I'm not a homemaker collector but I do a lot of Classic Space/Aquanaut MOCs and thus use a lot of those arms. 'Bout 50% of my purchases have not been in good condition (BL, ebay and local ads)

Classic Space figs can be found at BL, but DO check the sellers notes (if any) about their condition. Gold, by the way, does not take kindly to oxy treatment and/or sweaty fingers ..

Those reissue Space figs hasen't got the right helmet, important for us CS nerds :grin:

It doesn't matter how many times I see pics of sets like 261; it just looks wrong! Like some weird mash of parallel universes.

It's not just the 'baby', it's all that darn tiling .. looked real wrong to me back then. No studs? Not LEGO :tongue:

Also, 6950 is a real thing of beauty. Actually, it's the only set I miss in my CS collection. Hard to find with a box :sceptic:

Those Minifigure Collection sets are really cool. You say those were out just last year?!!! Wow.

In any case, I was convinced my son needed minifigures. And I, at least, need my Homemaker minifigures in particular. They have a special place in my heart. So I've used Bricklink and am waiting on invoices. Thank you! I'd never have found that site on my own. (and I was able to find them for prices I was willing to pay. If the Homemaker figures had been $10 each, I might have got just them. For any more, special place or not I'd have had to make do with the abundance that is out there now)

If it was me looking for Homemaker figs, I'd just buy the head/hair and arms and use my inventory of bricks to do the rest. No real need to buy actual Homake figs as they're all brickbuild 'cept for the parts I've mentioned. There's quite an interesting selection of heads/hair though. Much more than we got in minifigs for many many years ...

I didn't have any as a child, but my sis had a bunch (remember stealing that cool spacepart from her hair saloon, much to her agony, haha), but I allways hated that I had to take them apart and/or find new bricks to make them sit down. .. Oh, I remember I did have the cowboys, first instance of LEGO shooters ever?

It's not just the 'baby', it's all that darn tiling .. looked real wrong to me back then. No studs? Not LEGO :tongue:

Funnily enough it's the studless look that has really drawn me to collecting some Homemaker sets recently. That and the box designs make some of the small figureless sets look very minimalist.

I laughed at the regular minifgures in 261 and 269. They look a little odd against those built people. :wink:

Lego Spy

Edited by Lego Spy

If it was me looking for Homemaker figs, I'd just buy the head/hair and arms and use my inventory of bricks to do the rest. No real need to buy actual Homake figs as they're all brickbuild 'cept for the parts I've mentioned. There's quite an interesting selection of heads/hair though. Much more than we got in minifigs for many many years ...

I didn't have any as a child, but my sis had a bunch (remember stealing that cool spacepart from her hair saloon, much to her agony, haha), but I allways hated that I had to take them apart and/or find new bricks to make them sit down. .. Oh, I remember I did have the cowboys, first instance of LEGO shooters ever?

I've got my Homemaker figs. I need my Homemaker minifigs -- the kids! The little girl with the blue and black hair and the red haired little girl in white.

And btw, these sets have PLENTY of studs -- they just cover them up with tile afterward. There are lots of 1x pieces in these sets. Even some really long ones.

But really? The firehouse? Same thing. Less tiles but lots of 1x bricks

Edited by Sarah

<p>Just buy the pieces off of Bricklink. It's much easier than say... Buying them off of eBay. -_- (I had a bad eBay-Lego experience :P)

-Lego Spy

Edited by Lego Spy