Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #65: Breaking Down the Door

Dyric smiles warmly.

Greetings. We're heroes of Heroica, inquiring about the death of Mr. Greely. Do you know anything?

Nerwen looked the farm girl up and down.

Please excuse my sleep deprived friend.

I am Nerwen. This is Dyric. Cronk and Xander are the others. We are from Heroica, helping Mr. Greely collect back-rent.

As we have been doing so, we have come to believe that Mr.Krook was murdered. Can you think of anyone who would want to harm him?

On another note, have noticed any ghosts around?

7150539667_c0cee828d8_t.jpg

"Murdered?! But Mr. Greely told us it was all an unfortunate accident. You don't think the murderer is still here do you? Am I safe? Should I go stay with my mother?"

Don't worry, you'll be plenty safe with us around, ma'am. It's vital right now that you tell us anything we can that may be useful for the investigation.

7150539667_c0cee828d8_t.jpg

"Well like I said, I was away with my mother when Mr Krook died and I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to hurt the sweet man. As for ghosts, I can't say I've seen any."

Watching the way the young rogue spoke to the girl Nerwen said

You might need to give Dyric your V-mail address, so that if you do get a fright, he can rush to comfort you, but you should be safe otherwise. Thank you for your time.

After the door closes, Nerwen nudges Dyric.

Maybe you ought invite her to the theater or some such.

And end up like Arthur or Haldor? Ha, no thanks.

...Besides, there's still some wounds from Duplovia that don't want to heal. I'm... not sure if I'm ready for something like that again. Yet.

I turn to the Metasimian.

We're here hired by Mr. Greely for some investigations of the hotel. We were wondering if you knew anything about the death of Mr. Krook.

7150540077_62dd29bd94_t.jpg

"You woke me up in the middle of my sleep just to ask me about how a dead man died? I work the night shift at the docks and I really must return to bed. Good day to you."

The Metasimian slams the door shut in the Party's face.

..On second thought, I much preferred Room 204.

I lightly knock on the door

Sir, this is an important issue. Whatever killed Mr. Krook could very well be around still, and could be a threat to you.

Dyric here's a muted yell from inside the room.

"If he is around, he should know better than to bother a sleeping Metasimian. Now shove off."

Nerwen waits until Dyric has finished antagonising the large, tired dockworker.

Hearing his reply to her she laughed softly.

End up like them? You assume you are different in the first place. You are each young humans. Bundles of drives and needs and desires, thinly varnished with a self justifying coat of rationality. Know yourself. And do not be ashamed to be such.

As for wounds having wants, your wounds are part of you. You cannot hold them separate. What you are really saying is, you do not want them to heal. But just as it is unhealthy to walk around with an open flesh wound, it is equally bad to bleed emotionally. There are things which infect such attitudes, which corrupt and rot. Take care Dyric, fear that which eats souls.

Better yet, take the cure. Go out with the girl, go to the theater. Lay your righteous cause down for the night and experience what it is that you seek to defend and preserve. Bed the girl if she is willing and find something briefly good in this not good world. It is plain you want to. I heard how you spoke to her. And she would not have given you her name if she did not also have wants.

Besides, she is, how did Alexandre put it? Enpeesy? Not important? I mean, she is important to her family and friends. But is not great and powerful in this city. She is not a hero, like Arthur and Alexis. Whatever happens between you two is unlikely to generate the drama of recurring appearances.

Nerwen paused.

as for getting into the penthouse, I think I have an idea.

Cronk. That Wolpertinger seems fairly intelligent. Do you think it could open the door from the inside if we sent it up in the dumbwaiter?

Is being right all the time some kind of Elvish thing? Because someday you're going to be wrong, and I want to be there to see it.

After some light laughter, Dyric nods.

You are right, though. I'll... I'll think about what you've said.

In all honesty I had forgotten about little Jeremy! I scratch the Wolpertinger's neck playfully. That sound like a good plan, all our others seem to be coming apart.

Nerwen smiled.

I was wrong answering the gargoyle's riddle. You were here then. But you mean sometime more serious than that.

I claim nothing other than experience. I have seen many humans come and go. Each is unique in very similar ways. Nothing gas befallen you that is new to men. But it how you deal with your circumstances that sets you apart.

Cronk had not thought of that. Cronk is sure wolpertinger is friendly but Cronk is not sure how wolpertinger would unlock door by self. But it might be possible.

Cronk thinks it would be good if friends examined dumbwaiter anyway. Make sure it is safe. If it is big enough, maybe one of party could fit inside.

QM Note: I'll assume you're moving back to the Kitchen.

The party returns to the dumbwaiter and has a look inside. From their inspection they can see that it is big enough to hold at least one individual.