alainneke

TUTORIAL Custom power pickups

Do you plan on selling any more of these pick-ups? Unfortunately I didn't make it in time for the first batch ;)

Do you plan on selling any more of these pick-ups? Unfortunately I didn't make it in time for the first batch ;)

I usually put some in my BrickLink store when someone asks for them. They are quite labour-intensive to make and assemble, so I don't put a lot up for sale. Just send me a message through the BrickLink contact form and I'm sure we can arrange for something.

where did you get the ball contacts from?

I have checked many o scale pages and other electrical pages and have found nothing like the ones you use.

where did you get the ball contacts from?

I have checked many o scale pages and other electrical pages and have found nothing like the ones you use.

The ball contacts are from the company "Schnellenkamp" (http://www.spur-0-kaufhaus.de), but "AMZ Munz" (http://www.amz-munz.de) also makes them. The bushings to mount the ball contacts are custom made

I did somthing similar a few years back. Yours is cleaner, and has a more pro look to it. In my version I take up the power throught the axel using a bronze spring. I first experimented using coper tape over plastic wheels. I Later used a Lionel wheel the I shaved a bit thinner using a belt sander. And built a small moterezed truck.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=100739

lgaugewhpkup7.jpg

lgaugewhpkup5.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=120463

motortruck.jpg

MAC

Good news: the new wheels have finally arrived! The flange is very similar to that of the LEGO train wheels, so it should result in very reliable operation.

From left to right: LEGO wheel, newly arrived wheel (NWSL /210 33" 0-scale), the 'old' wheel (NWSL /172 33" 0-scale)

8518656737_5dfd93ef21_b.jpgTrain wheels by alainneke, on Flickr

I will have to adapt the insulator bushings, because the new wheels are a bit wider. More pictures tomorrow!

Hi alainneke,

I'm trying to create some custom pickups based on yours. My NWSL wheels finally arrived yesterday (wow, it takes a long time to get them, they were ordered Sept 12), but they don't seem to fit well in LEGO wheel holder piece. The flange is rubbing against the LEGO housing, keeping the wheels from rotating freely. On closer inspection, the NWSL flange diameter is larger than that of the LEGO flange. I ordered the O-scale 33"/210 variety. Did you have this problem as well? If so, what was your solution? Here's hoping I don't need a lathe, and some pictures of the wheels:

50127-1.jpg

LEGO wheel on top, NWSL wheel on bottom, slip that came with NWSL wheels on right

50129-1.jpg

LEGO wheel stacked atop NWSL wheel, showing flange difference

Edit: I measured the NWSL flange diameter to be 23.75mm

Edited by codefox421

Hi alainneke,

I'm trying to create some custom pickups based on yours. My NWSL wheels finally arrived yesterday (wow, it takes a long time to get them, they were ordered Sept 12), but they don't seem to fit well in LEGO wheel holder piece. The flange is rubbing against the LEGO housing, keeping the wheels from rotating freely. On closer inspection, the NWSL flange diameter is larger than that of the LEGO flange. I ordered the O-scale 33"/210 variety. Did you have this problem as well? If so, what was your solution? Here's hoping I don't need a lathe, and some pictures of the wheels:

50127-1.jpg

LEGO wheel on top, NWSL wheel on bottom, slip that came with NWSL wheels on right

50129-1.jpg

LEGO wheel stacked atop NWSL wheel, showing flange difference

Edit: I measured the NWSL flange diameter to be 23.75mm

Hi codefox421,

I haven't come across this problem (yet). The specs of these O-scale wheels (http://nwsl.com/uplo...3_web_10-28.pdf) show that they should measure 17,48 + (2 * 2,8) = 23,08 mm. I measured one of mine to be 22,75 mm, while the LEGO wheels are 23,15 mm. Your 23,75 mm wheels seem to be out of spec; you could give NWSL a call and ask for replacement wheels. I'm a bit worried myself now, because I ordered 200 of these wheels some time ago (which are still to be shipped, sigh...)!

Just curious: how are you going to mount the wheels in the LEGO train wheel holders, while making sure they are electrically isolated from each other?

I'm a bit worried myself now, because I ordered 200 of these wheels some time ago (which are still to be shipped, sigh...)!

Just curious: how are you going to mount the wheels in the LEGO train wheel holders, while making sure they are electrically isolated from each other?

I never received confirmation when my order shipped. Maybe yours are already on the way and you don't even know it.

I'm planning to use 1/8"OD 1/16"ID polyurethane tubing for isolation and to mount the wheels on standard LEGO train axles. I've tested this with the wheels I was shipped, and it works pretty well.

The challenging part for me is going to be transferring power from the wheels to wires.

The challenging part for me is going to be transferring power from the wheels to wires.

If you're not against using hot glue on your LEGO, may I suggest using these: http://www.haertle.de/Modelleisenbahn/Spur+H0/Beleuchtung+Spur+H0/ESU+50707+Stromabnehmer+fuer+Waggons+fuer+alle+Spuren+geeignet.html (ESU 50707; I use these for my wagon lighting). To accommodate wider gauges, they can be separated by cutting them at the black part. Don't forget to solder on the wires before glueing them into you model!

If you're not against using hot glue on your LEGO, may I suggest using these: http://www.haertle.de/Modelleisenbahn/Spur+H0/Beleuchtung+Spur+H0/ESU+50707+Stromabnehmer+fuer+Waggons+fuer+alle+Spuren+geeignet.html (ESU 50707; I use these for my wagon lighting). To accommodate wider gauges, they can be separated by cutting them at the black part. Don't forget to solder on the wires before glueing them into you model!

Thanks for the tip! It's a bit difficult to find a shop that sells them here in the States, but I was able to find somewhere that had them in stock. I'm looking forward to trying them out, though I'm not sure they've shipped yet.

Also, I contacted NWSL about the out-of-spec wheels. I got a reply from possibly the owner? He was convinced the problem was due to them receiving the wrong skyving tool when they bought the company in 2008, and he offered a refund if I returned the wheels. Looking back in this thread however, I noticed you posted about receiving your appropriately sized wheels in March of this year, which means that can't be true. I pointed this out in reply and have since been ignored. It doesn't bode well for their customer service, but maybe they feel it's not important enough to deal with since I only bought 12 wheels. I guess I will have to shave them down on a handheld rotary tool... probably not the safest thing in the world, but my only option at this point.

Thanks for the tip! It's a bit difficult to find a shop that sells them here in the States, but I was able to find somewhere that had them in stock. I'm looking forward to trying them out, though I'm not sure they've shipped yet.

Also, I contacted NWSL about the out-of-spec wheels. I got a reply from possibly the owner? He was convinced the problem was due to them receiving the wrong skyving tool when they bought the company in 2008, and he offered a refund if I returned the wheels. Looking back in this thread however, I noticed you posted about receiving your appropriately sized wheels in March of this year, which means that can't be true. I pointed this out in reply and have since been ignored. It doesn't bode well for their customer service, but maybe they feel it's not important enough to deal with since I only bought 12 wheels. I guess I will have to shave them down on a handheld rotary tool... probably not the safest thing in the world, but my only option at this point.

You're welcome!

It's sad to see that you're being ignored, just because you pointed out a problem with your purchase. I'm still waiting for 200 wheels (ordered early September) to be shipped ; let's just hope the diameter is correct...

Be sure to wear safety glasses when you're trying to shave them down!

Be sure to wear safety glasses when you're trying to shave them down!

Indeed! I would never not wear them for a project of this sort. Sparks everywhere! :laugh: A pair of gloves might help, but those I lack.

I'm interested in more wheels myself.

Alainnake: did you receice your 200 wheels and do they have the right measurements?

Codefox: did you get your wheels the right width by shaving them down?

Working on a placing an old big motor from an old printer into a locomotive.

Greetings

Codefox: did you get your wheels the right width by shaving them down?

I did. Additionally, NWSL sent along a batch of 10 wheels with the proper specs. (Of course, this was after I had shaved down as many of the original 12 as I needed at the time.) I was very surprised to find the new wheels in the mail since NSWL had implied that they would not fix the mistake.

Thought I would share a pic or 2 of my EN, now its up and running with a single Medium motor in the boiler and custom pick-ups in the tender. It is able to pull 3 carriages no issue ( although its slow ).

Full shot of the engine and tender

EN%20Long%20shot.JPG

Close up of the power pickups

EN%20Tender.JPG

and finally a shot form the top down with the top of the boiler and drivers cab removed.

EN%20Inside.JPG

Edited by kieran

Would you be able to make me some up the store is closed on bricklink.

Would be keen on 4-5 sets.