alainneke

TUTORIAL Custom power pickups

Good news: the new wheels have finally arrived! The flange is very similar to that of the LEGO train wheels, so it should result in very reliable operation.

From left to right: LEGO wheel, newly arrived wheel (NWSL /210 33" 0-scale), the 'old' wheel (NWSL /172 33" 0-scale)

8518656737_5dfd93ef21_b.jpgTrain wheels by alainneke, on Flickr

I will have to adapt the insulator bushings, because the new wheels are a bit wider. More pictures tomorrow!

Edited by alainneke

As promised, more photos (the wheels have been specially polished for the occasion):

8521361174_643db8f630.jpg

Emerald Night tender by alainneke, on Flickr

8521361030_2446078fa1.jpg

Emerald Night tender by alainneke, on Flickr

8521360904_72a07bff54.jpg

Emerald Night tender (underside) by alainneke, on Flickr

8521391632_cb5484a714.jpg

Custom power pickup by alainneke, on Flickr

The wheelsets are now available in my BrickLink store

Edited by alainneke

Beautiful! I don't see the insulating bushing that fit's onto the axle on the Bricklink picture, I assume that's still included or is it a different/wider axle?

And you've custom made 12v pickups?

Beautiful! I don't see the insulating bushing that fit's onto the axle on the Bricklink picture, I assume that's still included or is it a different/wider axle?

And you've custom made 12v pickups?

The insulators are already in the wheels (3,15mm OD, 2mm ID), but can hardly be seen... I'll provide some additional details on the splash page.

As for the 12V pickups, they were asked for by 'Andromeda'. Not for the faint of heart: you'll have do disassemble the motor!

Edited by alainneke

The insulators are already in the wheels (3,15mm OD, 2mm ID)

Will you consider selling just the insulators or insulators+wheels so people can just adapt the metal wheels without the pickup?

As on your EN tender, you've replaced all the wheels but only half are pickup enabled.

As for the 12V pickups, they were asked for by 'Andromeda'. Not for the faint of heart: you'll have do disassemble the motor!

Wow, still I have some motors that I could fix, also not forgetting this would be an essential part for a future pickup brick!

Edited by bricks n bolts

Will you consider selling just the insulators or insulators+wheels so people can just adapt the metal wheels without the pickup?

As on your EN tender, you've replaced all the wheels but only half are pickup enabled.

Sure!

this was awsome, this pickups shows we some flexbility for recent 9v system

i almost order some from you alainneke :p

its good enough for a standard 2878 train wheel RC train holder

but if any chance to have a custom lego train metal wheel which fits technic axle will be more better plus alainneke your pickup stuff then.

i really hope somebody implement this custom train metal wheel in the future,

i believe that wheel plus alainneke's pickups might be the final solution :)

small, tiny, easy to hide and assemble, which can lower our train base for looks more reality.

this was awsome, this pickups shows we some flexbility for recent 9v system

i almost order some from you alainneke :p

its good enough for a standard 2878 train wheel RC train holder

but if any chance to have a custom lego train metal wheel which fits technic axle will be more better plus alainneke your pickup stuff then.

i really hope somebody implement this custom train metal wheel in the future,

i believe that wheel plus alainneke's pickups might be the final solution :)

small, tiny, easy to hide and assemble, which can lower our train base for looks more reality.

Fitting these wheels to a Technic axle is very hard. The best solution I can come up with, is to make a custom shouldered metal axle which fits part 4274 'Technic Pin 1/2' (http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=868&colorID=86) and put this pin in a Technic brick. This way, the Technic pins work as bearings for the axle

Fitting these wheels to a Technic axle is very hard. The best solution I can come up with, is to make a custom shouldered metal axle which fits part 4274 'Technic Pin 1/2' (http://www.bricklink...=868&colorID=86) and put this pin in a Technic brick. This way, the Technic pins work as bearings for the axle

that might be better, but fitting technic axle not only for the flexibility but also we can get a chance to gear up the metal wheel

in that way we have a custom pickup boggie which motorizable(if any space left to gears)

Just ordered mine, cant wait to try them out, I have a few projects in mind, will let you know how I get on

that might be better, but fitting technic axle not only for the flexibility but also we can get a chance to gear up the metal wheel

in that way we have a custom pickup boggie which motorizable(if any space left to gears)

Hmm, powered metal wheels on metal track will probably not provide the traction you're looking for. If you look at the original 9V train motor, you will see that LEGO used a combination of rubber traction tires and spring-loaded conductive flanges to combine both power pickup and traction in a single wheelset. Unfortunately, this is something I cannot do (for now)

Have you thought of adding an adapter to connect to the plug on a rechagerable battery box?

There is a nice article in RailBricks 7 (starting at page 46) about this. I haven't given it any thought (yet), because I have no need for batteries in my trains. It shouldn't be too hard to make a nice cable, though

What?! Already sold out? I'm away for two days and missed it. :sad:

When do you expect to get the next batch?

What?! Already sold out? I'm away for two days and missed it. :sad:

When do you expect to get the next batch?

I'm really sorry about that! The next batch should be available for ordering in 3-4 weeks. It takes some time for me to make all the parts, and the wheels themselves have to be shipped from the U.S.

I think I got the last ones this time round, alaninneke is a great guy to deal with on bricklink, I am sure he will get the next batch ready as soon as possible

Quick update, I have got my pick-ups and have to say the quality is amazing, i have been very busy so have not got my set-up fully working but will update with pics once I get it all running

Quick update, I have got my pick-ups and have to say the quality is amazing, i have been very busy so have not got my set-up fully working but will update with pics once I get it all running

Thank you for your kind words Kieran!