Joff_Draeven

MSFC: The TARDIS materialises...

I'm new to building MOCs and this is my first ever mini MOC; to go along with the MSFC here. I chose one of my favourite sci-fi shows, Doctor Who - the story unfolds as follows:

The TARDIS materialises over the rocky cliffs of Ganymede, where the human workers of Mining Outpost 617 are hard at work. A heavy driller trundles off over the surface of Jupiter's moon, hoping to find a rich source of ore. But what has bought the Doctor to this cold, desolate place? What waits for him under the surface of the moon? Only time will tell. Lucky for him, time is something the Doctor is only too familiar with...

8402552637_de7d647406.jpg

TARDIS materialising over Ganymede Mining Outpost 617 - with background and flashing blue light by mjfirefly, on Flickr

8402356766_5370c3aa39.jpg

Close up of TARDIS materialising over Ganymede cliffs by mjfirefly, on Flickr

8402356718_553f160bcc.jpg

Close up side view of Driller by mjfirefly, on Flickr

More images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjfirefly/8401267441/in/set-72157632592539160

Edited by Joff_Draeven

Nice! I especially like the heavy driller. Some good part usage there. May I ask what the part on the back is that curves downward?

Very nice. Looks like the driller is the star of the show instead of the Tardis. But I do like the driller, very lever, good parts usage.

Andy D

thanks guys, the driller is the star as I was originally thinking of an off world mine - so the Tardis was almost an afterthought. my kids are Who fans though, so insisted it be added!

the curved yellow brick is a part i found in a farm kit, a grey version is on the side if the mining facility.

I don't know why, but the little tardis actually reminds me of seeing the tardis appear in a lot of the old doctor who episodes. It might be the way the light reflects off the inside of the brick, or the transparent piece holding it up, either way it is a pretty cool effect. The intricacy of the building and the cliff face also do a lot to add to the scene. All very well done.

thanks joe - I was going for a 2nd (troughton) doctor feel - tomb of the cybermen...

i to like the way the square hole on the back of the Tardis brick gives the impression of window and door.

for a first go at a mini build am pleased with the result!

i'm enjoying having challenges to build, as I find it hard to think up original moc's at present, as i'm new to the hobby!

I've added a more atomspheric first shot, more pics can be seen on the flickr feed linked to at the bottom of the first post - the build is within the 16x16 stud limit, with a slight 3 stud overhang from the driller. Hope it meets standard :-)

Haha I saw someone else with a mini tradis, yours is even minier :rofl:

nicely done, the use of that gear is fantastic as the drill bit!