Welcome Tom. Two complete red passenger trains sound like a great find. It is tricky to balance a nice Town with room for rolling stock. There's been a few topics/discussions related to this, as space always limits your layout. I hope you enjoy the forum and feel free to share your custom creations.

Hi there!

My name is Harald and I am into the 12v grey area - Classic Town style.

My parents recently moved to my neighbourhood and brought me my 2 moving boxes with my 20 year old 12v-gear. Initially, these boxes were placed in the attic and I didn't pay much attention to them. But after a hectic evening and night of building and playing and some series of internet impulse purchases, my collection has six-doubled! I simply loose track of time and place when I fiddle with my Lego.

Unfortunately, space is scarce in my little house, so my layouts can only last for 2 days in average :-( That's why I usually do not succeed with much else than placing tracks and playing even though my daughters and neighbour boys are keen to help - see picture and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLUxSfVJB_U. But I love it!

Anyways, I hope to get some more inspiration from this forum (best train forum so far) as for example when I had to clean my 12v motor.

Brick on!

Edited by harnbak

it is a beautiful trainlayout it does think of my young years…

:thumbup::blush:

Edited by patje

Looks like an awesome collection of 12V track that would make one hell of a layout. Welcome to Train Tech Harnbak, and I hope you enjoy our LEGO Train community. :classic:

Hi! I'm Matteo -alias pikappa79- from Italy. Lego is my passion, especially trains (Emerald Night & Maersk Train in particular). I grew up chewing bricks. However in recent years I have betrayed my first love with "Modular Buildings" series (I admit that my childhood I lived without buildings :tongue: ). Despite this "error", my project would be to recover some 12v trains, wallet permitting :cry_sad:.

Edited by pikappa79

Hi Matteo. Welcome. I don't own a single 12V set, but I've always admired them as well. They weren't available in the US as they were in Europe making them even more special. Enjoy our train community. :classic:

Hi my Bame is Richard snd I have emerged from the dark ages. I have collected most of the 9V series and PF Trains. I also have the Airport Shuttle and Unitron Monorails. I would like to create a town Layout. Bigest hope is to create a local Lug in my area. I am from Winnipeg, Canada.

Hi Richard. Welcome to Train Tech and to EB! It's always nice to see brand new members here, esp. train fans. It's never too late to emerge from the Dark Ages. I remember mine. Wild West and Trains pulled me out of many years of a LEGO-dry era. The Airport Shuttle is a fantastic set although I don't own one. I bet the price for one is pretty hefty as the set appears to be very popular among town and train fans. Good luck with your efforts to create a local LUG. Sounds like a fun endeavor if you can get members. Hope you enjoy our LEGO Train comunity. :thumbup:

hi i'm Louis

i live in the netherlands.

i have been following this board for 7 years now. but i could not get started with my lego because i was rebuilding my house. (although i was collecting secondhand lego)

i'm not done yet with the house but i have agreed with my wife (and kids) that the attic will be the domain for my lego.

i have some ideas to how my layout will be. (and will off course place photo's of the progress when i start with it.) (attic space is 7*2,7 meter)

at the present time i have 9 trains (but only ran for test purpose only because of the space limits at the moment)

it's fun to use programs where you can place tracks on an layout to see if it will fit.

i will try to contribute ideas and tips if i know one.

Hi Renewal/Louis. Welcome to Train Tech, although it sounds like you've been viewing the forum for some time. It also sounds like you have a pretty good collection of LEGO Trains. I too enjoy designing different layouts with a moderate collection of 9V track, although table tops are somewhat limiting due to space. In any case, welcome and I hope you continue to enjoy our LEGO Train community. :classic:

After purchasing the Emerald Night, I think I can confidently say I've graduated from 'Fan of pictures of Trains' to 'Trains Fan'. :classic: Hopefully, some Trains MOCs will come next.

And it's an awesome first train, one of the best ever made in my opinion. Great set to start your collection. Welcome Brickdoctor. I hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to seeing some of your MOCs.

Hello,

My enthusiasm for trains originated when I was just a little kid. One of my favorite shows as a toddler was Thomas the Tank Engine, and I ended up collecting many of the wooden trains made by Learning Curve. I also had some toy train sets, albeit not LEGO trains. Being born in New York City and raised there for five years, I was fascinated by the NYC subway system. I still am, even though I do not live in the city anymore. But having grown up in the New York metropolitan area, there is a strong presence of commuter rail and mass transit systems that I am just wowed by. As such, my interest in trains largely resides with subways, commuter rail and mass transit.

My first exposure to LEGO trains was in 1999, the year when 4561 Railway Express was released. It was my childhood dream set, but to my dismay, I never got it. My first train sets were about two years later, and they were 3741 Large Locomotive (dark grey) and 10015 Passenger Wagon. There was only one problem - I didn't have any track to run it on! And it would stay that way for many years.

Over the next decade, my interest in trains was rather dormant, as I had primarily focused on many other LEGO themes. I saw many train sets come and go, but never cared to shell out the money for them (and do I regret that :cry_sad: ).

That all changed this past April, when I went to a local LEGO event. There were numerous vendors there selling a ton of old LEGO sets. It was there I spotted my childhood dream set, the Railway Express - new and sealed too! I bought it as a belated birthday gift for myself, and my love for LEGO trains was rekindled.

After seeing a fantastic train/town display that I LUG NY, a local LUG that participated in the event, I took it upon myself to start a long term project for a 60"x30" party table layout that I could set up in my own home. Here's a picture of it in mid-July 2011:

5935131670_b7a56ce11f_z.jpg

Although at this point, it looks much different now. The elevated rail system I made for this [hopeful] urban NYC-esque layout is nearly complete, and I will post pictures of it here in the Train Tech forum once it is. On the side, I am also procuring pieces off of BrickLink to build a train that I designed using LDD:

5939107130_47b011772e_z.jpg

It is roughly based off of a M7 railcar used by the Metropolitan Transit Authority on the Metro-North and Long Island Railroads. I will share this as well once I am able to build it in real life.

In the past, I only made one train MOC, which was a rough replica of a typical NYC subway station. While the model has since been deconstructed, I do hope to incorporate a subway system underneath my city layout, though that may take a while before I can share anything. :classic:

To conclude, that is my not-so-brief history of my interactions with LEGO trains. I hope to be more active in this great niche on Eurobricks. :classic:

Hi -R8-. Glad to have you part of our Train Tech forum. I was admiring your review of one of my favorite passenger cars, 10015 Green Passenger Wagon. Nice! I hope to see more reviews and MOCs from you in the future. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Hi there can you add me to the list as a born-again Trains fan.

Im Martin from Glasgow in Scotland in the UK.

I joined the forum for some info and advice as Im currently rebuilding and passing on to my son all my Lego from the 80s including my 12v 7745 which I am converting to PF due to motor problems.

Theres a bit more info here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59279

So far all I have is this(platform now built not shown) and also the 7813 Shell tanker rolling stock:

picture030cq.jpg

but I will DEFINITELY be adding more track,wagons etc as and when finances allow.

Hi Martin. Absolutely and welcome! It's fun to see children playing with LEGO Trains. Thanks for sharing that image. :classic: Looks like a nice set to be playing with as well.

Hope you enjoy our LEGO Train community.

Thanks for the welcome. The members who have helped me out with suggestions in the other thread I posted have been excellent-offering to go above and beyond the call of duty!

Hi everyone,

Trains are the reason why I became an AFOL. My first sets where purchased while I was away at University, they were Lego 4554 Metro Station and 10001 Metroliner. I have been meaning to post up pictures of my trains but never really got around to doing it until now. So here are all the trains that I have got except Lego 4511 which I believe I got a real good deal of 71 pounds complete off ebay. There are no train or real Lego enthusiasts where I am from so what I have is very limited.

I was having problems uploading my ppictures so I have put a link instead here:

Enjoy!!!

Thanks so much Brickster, I thought I did post it on the registry. My mistake, thank you for moving it accordingly. I hope everyone can see my pictures.

Reza95

Not a problem Reza. After I moved your topic, I was worried that you wouldn't find it here. Glad you did and I hope you enjoy the forum. :thumbup:

EDIT: In regard to your pictures, some members don't have a Facebook account and will not be able to see them. The best method is to save a few on FlickR, Majhost.com, or Brickshelf and deeplink in the thread using [ img]IMAGE LINK[/ img] (without the spaces). Our max image size is 800x600.

Hello everybody. Although I got back to LEGO because of the modular buildings, nowadays trains got most of my attention.

Not really surprising as one of my first sets was 171 171.gif. Years later I saved enough money to by 7725 7725.gif. I really enjoyed the 12V era although I didn't have that much track.

My current trains are two 7938 trains I combined 7938.gif. It is a perfect train for this easy mod and it looks great to me. Then I also got me two Emerald Nights 10194.gif. One I put the powerfunctions in. And my most recent purchase is 3677 3677.gif. It probably won't stop there. I do like the Maersk train as well, so that will most likely be the next train.

Welcome 'Man with a hat'. It looks like you've got a nice modest collection of some really nice trains. I always enjoy seeing the oldies like 171. Brings back those early memories of LEGO Trains. Hope you enjoy the forum. :thumbup:

This is a little belated, but better nate the lever..

I've always had a soft spot for lego trains, never had em as a kid. Finally found a 9v set for cheap and it brought me out of my dark era.

I added to my collection today, I bought 3766 and 7939. I need to update my signature image.