Hi there.

Im new here, so I want to post my first... well... post! :-)

I found my old lego train at my parrents celler for about a year ago. Until then I have mostly enjoyed building technic sets, but finding my old 7740 and seeing all those models here on the internet, has given me a new dream in life. I NEED a train mountain.... :-)) So now Im collecting bits for it here and there. I've started collecting the complete Santa Fe this spring.... Auchhh!!

Best regards

Welcome Hechristensen. First post - neat! A train mountain sounds like a great idea. Hope you enjoy EB and our Train Tech forum.

So after coming out of the dark a few years back, I jumped into the train head first. I just picked up my 4th PF train and must confess. I need help. I just bought a 7996 for $60. This may lead to uncharted water and heavy spending on LEGO. I love plastic bricks!

Same here, I'm out of my dark ages with vengeance. Besides picking up the latest modular buildings and a mix of city sets, I started dabbing into trains a few weeks ago.....I already have the new Passenger Train, Train Station, Emerald Night, and waiting for the mailman to deliver my yellow Cargo Train, power functions lights, and Level Crossing....

I'm tempted by the new Maersk train and red Cargo Train with the current Toys-R-Us BOGO 50%, but the wife would probably leave me... :blush:

Hey guys!

New member, long time reader and fan of Lego from when I was about 5, I still remember my first set. Anyways, after a few years break from Lego I found myself back into it once I stumbled upon the Maersk Train. I've always loved Lego trains with my first being the 4559 which I found in my aunt's storeroom, sadly three quarters of the parts were missing. My first complete train was the railway express, 4561 (can't find it), the metroliner with club car soon followed and then the last train I got before my 'break' was the 4512. Now, in the span of a few months after getting back into Lego in about August with my first Maersk train, I now have an additional two, one of which I converted into a GE AC6000 (I'll make a post with some pics when I find some time, buried in Medical school work), and an Emerald Night set. Hoping to get the yellow and red cargo trains soon, duty to bring anything down to Jamaica is ridiculous though. :hmpf_bad:

I just joined here and would like to introduce myself. :classic: I have been into Lego for a very long time but I didn't ever get a train until around last Christmas, when I got the Passenger Train. I hope to get the Red Cargo Train soon and maybe the modular Pet Shop. (if money suffices) See you around. :classic:

Edited by Captain J

Thought I'd introduce myself as I have already been reading up on so many of the great informational posts over the last couple of weeks since I discovered this forum.

I of course am a long time Lego fan, having had a small collection as a child in the late 70's and early 80's. Well I have been getting my son into Lego's over the last couple of years and just recently discovered the Lego Train line, not sure how i missed it. Since he is such a HUGE train and Lego fan, it just made sense to move into this area of Lego collecting. Since his 6th birthday was in October we decided to get a set for him and since I roped the grandparents into the fun, he ended up getting 2 trains (Passenger and Emerald Night), the train station, level crossing and some switch sets. I know, we went way overboard! I think in one birthday he got more than I had in my entire childhood collection. LOL

Before anyone says it, yes I know the Emerald Night is way above his age and building ability, but he REALLY wanted it, so I took care of the engine while he built the rest, he also built the entire Passenger train and the other sets on his own, usually the only thing that get's in the way of his building is his attention span, not the ability to build. I still haven't been able to convince him to add power to it, he likes to just play with them by hand most of the time. Which is just fine.

Next step is to build a simple table to put all his trains and City sets on so he can actually play with it all without having to put it all away every day.

Welcome Mapman. I hope you enjoy the Train Tech forum and good luck with that train table/layout. I'm sure you'll have some great time building with your little guy. :classic:

Hi

Iam Jaeson nick name Kimi. I am from Swindon in England. Love model railways in 00 N and Lego. I have just started to collect lego trains. the possibiltys are endless in Lego.

thanks

Hi Guys My name is Tom and Im now addicted to lego trains. Ive bought the Maersk, emerald night, red cargo train, and a bunch of track just in the past week. My wife thinks Im crazy but these things bring memories back from my childhood. (not to mention I can afford things I could never afford as a young one) Im glad I kept all my legos from back then so I can build new things for the trains. I plan on making a flat wood cover to fit over my pool table in the garage so I can make a nice train layout. If anyone has any ideas that they could share that would be great. Thank you

Welcome Tom. EB Train Tech is a great place to share your LEGO Train interest. I remember when purchasing my first train set, I was in search for more track, accessories, and trains; but at that time, there wasn't much available. Now is a perfect time to be in the hobby because LEGO has a great selection to choose from. Your recent purchases are some of the finest trains made by LEGO (IMO). Your pool table idea sounds like a great space for a layout. Mine has always been limited to a small table in my computer room.

In any case, glad you joined us and I hope you enjoy the forum. :classic:

Thought I'd introduce myself.

I have been a Lego train fan since I saw 7938, it's the set that brought me into Lego trains. I have no trains whatsoever, but I do have Lego's tram from 8404. I have 7937 too. My biggest dislike about Lego trains is 7897, I hate the front nose piece combined with a bad design. IMO 7938 is better, as good as the Metroliner :classic:

Hello PBT. Let's just keep the spammy topics to a minimum, as well as the clone-brand posting. This is a forum for LEGO Train fans (generally those who own a train) and I'd like to maintain the quality of our Train Tech forum to encourage AFOL participation. Thanks much, -TB.

Hello all,

I've read this forum for quite a while, and thought it's about time to introduce myself. This forum is always very interesting to read. I started building LEGO trains two years ago. My kids brought me back to LEGO and now I'm spending more time with the bricks than they do...

So far I built mostly trains around the area I live (

and
). Currently I'm trying to implement some kind of train control system with the IR PF protocol and a micro-controller connected to the PC (see also this post: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62306&view=findpost&p=1130245 ).

Looking forward to become a bit more active here.

Thank you all and play well!

Steffen

Edited by Asper

Hi Steffen, welcome. It's always nice to see how some builders create trains from their local regions. Your Karlsruhe Stadtbahn is certainly a beauty. Great color scheme and I like the design. Really interesting front-end design - looks like that was a bit tricky.

Hope you enjoy Train Tech/EB and I look forward to seeing more of your fine creations. :thumbup:

Hello everyone, my name is 12vretrofan and I am sorry I did not introduce myself sooner. This is a new forum to me and I am getting used to the logistics. With that done, now let me introduce myself. I was always really into trains when I was a kid. I had a large collection of HO trains when I was younger, as well as a large collection of Lego. I would always see the catalogs that had the Metroliner and others. Those catalogs always wanted to make me get a Lego train. I really got into Lego trains when I was in third grade, when I saw the Lego S@H catalog. That year for Christmas I got the 4552 as well as the 4559. Pretty soon after that, I began getting most of the Lego train line that came out in the preceding years, such as the 4557, 4560, 4565, 4556, 4532, and others. I fell out of favor with Lego trains after the My Own Train Series, due to the fact that I was getting into other interests. The Emerald Night brought me out of my dark ages, and I began to rebuild and augment my previous collection. I have gotten into building Lego Steam MOCS. I am looking forward to being a productive member of the community!

Hi 12vretrofan. Sorry if I came off a little harsh in regard to your post about Enlighten train quality. We get a lot of kiddies and spammers that flood our forums with junk. I appreciate you taking the time to introduce yourself here. A big welcome to you. It sounds like you've been collecting a long time. I can't say that I own anything before the 9V era, but I certainly remember the old catalogues with pictures of 12/4.5V trains. I just wish I started a bit earlier with some of the earlier 9V sets. 4552 looks like a superb crane. I've always loved the green construction box (for lack of a better name).

In any case, welcome and I hope you enjoy our Train forum. :classic:

It's about time I introduced myself as I have been reading stuff on this forum for over a year now!

It's great to see people more obsessed than I am :laugh:

My Lego train obsession started circa 1982 when I 'inherited' a pile of '70s blue track and rolling stock. I then got both 7740 and 7745, some switch tracks and a Shell wagon.

After the '80s my dark age began and I didn't come out of it until a couple of years ago! Luckily my old sets and bricks were still in my parents attic but I had entirely missed the 9v and RC eras and had a lot of catching up to do!! I started by getting 7735, breaking it up, and using the spare parts to build a baggage car for the 7740 and an extra Shell wagon, ideally I would have wanted the sleeper car (still do) but they're hard to find and a bit pricey. I then also got more 12v track, the 4551 Hobby train (an excellent stock of parts) and the gold wagon from 4512, an extra carriage for my 7745, and recently the cow wagon from Blokbricks.

When I first came out of my dark ages I didn't have a lot of room for a layout, but now have enough room on a largish table so can properly start to lay things out, I also got a City airport set to fill some of the central room of the layout (the airport building makes a good starting point for a largish station). The only compromise I've had to make is to allow some non-Lego farm buildings and animals to be next to the layout to keep the kids and wife happy, but am slowly integrating those (hence the cow wagon).

I'm still not happy with my track design, I have one very long and complicated loop and some sidings, so it's tricky to run multiple trains even with the 12v signals, at the same time I have to make room for the farm and airport, so am working through that still.

If 9v was still around I would probably have switched to that but as I have 12v already and 9v is getting just as expensive I decided to stick to 12v. I am however tempted by the ME metal rails and will probably get some if/when standard curves are produced. If I had more space I would also be tempted to try out Jan Van Dijken's idea for custom track (in Railbricks 3) as the pure metal track on brown sleepers looks fantastic.

I'm generally also looking at upgrading electrics where I can, such as adding LED based lamp posts, looking at ways to add the latest/cheapest components, etc..

As a long time Lego train fan 30+ years I will gladly join this forum!

Actually the Santa Fe Super Chief is what ended my dark ages about 6 or 7 years ago.

I ended up building it with seven cars moccing 2 B units and building James Mathis version of an observation car.

santa_fe_lok.jpg

santa_fe_cars.jpg

I still have 5 Loks and 10 of each of the cars MISB. :classic:

Both of the A units are motorized and have 9V Lights

I was never able to get a # version. :pir_bawling:

I bought 3 of 10027 train shed's only having build one till now.

Have 4, 10133 BNSF locomotive 1 build and 10 of 10170 TTX double stock car MISB.

3, 10173 Holiday Trains MISB.

5 10194 Emerald Night MISB

5 10219 Mearsk Train MISB

40, 4515 9V Straight Track MISB, 5 Sets opened.

20, 4520 9V Curve Track MISB

5, 9V Switches MISB

1, 9V Crossing MISB

10, 9V Motor's, 7 MISB

The only thing I don't have is room to build a layout....... :cry_sad:

Welcome Bricks n Bolts. I love those "vintage" trains. Among your collection, I've always liked that little yellow boxcar from 7735. To me, it brings back those memories of looking at early German LEGO Train catalogues, long before I owned a train. I wish I could say I owned any of the 12V trains. Hope you continue to enjoy Train Tech.

Grogall: you've been a long standing member of EB and I've really enjoyed all your pictures of new sets over the years. Thanks for sharing them with us. I'm glad you finally visited here and shared your collection with us. You need a little bitmap picture of your collection because you've certainly got a nice collection. I can certainly understand your limites space for a layout. I have the same problem myself. I really think it's neat that you have multiples of all the great sets - in fact, that's a lot! :thumbup: I own only one of most of them, but still feel lucky to have them.

Hope you both enjoy our EB LEGO Train community. Happy Holidays! :classic:

Hello all,

I've read this forum for quite a while, and...

So far I built mostly trains around the area I live ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/66636161@N00/sets/72157627295916854/...

Looking forward to become a bit more active here.

Thank you all and play well!

Steffen

I really love your Albtalbahn S1 - nice colours - truly realistic.

The nose is a bit unusual - is this how the real tram nose is done?

Edited by harnbak

Hi all,

My name is James Powell. LUGNET #202, if that means much...

I've been around the lego train world since near the beginning of real things happening- I think 1998 was the first show that I attended. Not a lot else to tell- I have two sons (one 6, one 2), and are an active member of VICLUG (Victoria, BC). I've got a lot of 9V trains, my history with lego trains goes back to 7710, which I got as a child, and 7722. (4.5V gray era). No 12V, or Monorail (monorail is a "D" word around here...as in Divorce!). I also have a fairly extensive OO scale layout, and 3 3.5" gauge live steam railway engines.

Here from recommendations (I think, from TBB)

James

Hi James. Welcome to Train Tech and to EB. It's nice to see a long-standing member of the LEGO Train community join us. Sounds like you've been collecting LEGO Trains for some time. I hope you enjoy the forum and feel free to share pictures of your trains/MOCs any time. :thumbup:

Hello forum users,

First sorry for my bad English. As a precaution, I only write short sentences, and use the Google translator.

My name is Udo and I live in Germany, and I am over fifty years old.

For several months, I've got my enthusiasm for the Lego trains-rediscovered.

Unfortunately, (English is not my mother tongue), I still do not understand all the functions here in the forum.

But I can tell you many interesting articles, great MOCs, have several times already, as read by visitors.

267260_123167741113084_100002595774308_137544_3324617_n.jpg

262215_105908249505700_100002595774308_48202_4786601_n.jpg

271190_106490516114140_100002595774308_54973_6675821_n.jpg

263030_106490629447462_100002595774308_54976_1144732_n.jpg

269990_106490782780780_100002595774308_54981_7741910_n.jpg

261530_106490802780778_5186611_n.jpg

262195_106490892780769_100002595774308_54985_458948_n.jpg

268205_106490922780766_100002595774308_54986_1664128_n.jpg

The result of my tinkering can see it here

Sincerely, Udo