CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

For the black gate set 6 minifigs and a molded eagle and (new) molded troll is a little much as well, although I think a troll will be almost a given since they are at both the battle and to open the gate, making them more important.

I heard some where that the Black Gate set will cost $80-$90, so 7 minifigs isn't a stretch, although you're probably correct about the fact that they'll most likely only include one molded creature.

I heard some where that the Black Gate set will cost $80-$90, so 7 minifigs isn't a stretch, although you're probably correct about the fact that they'll most likely only include one molded creature.

Where did you hear about these prices? Because that would be pretty interesting for us too speculate when we know the price for the various sets like Wizard duel $20 or $80 for instance, means with or without orthanc.

I didnt care much for Azog in the movie cause of the lackluster CG work, but He can looks quite good as a minifigure. Quick general sketch I did for myself. no face..

8ziibd.png

I like that Azog design. I really hope that we get him as a minifig for the next film.

There's a scene which blends the book's Carrock and Eagles' Eyrie. In the book the Eyrie is the nest at the eastern edge of the Misty Mountains, the Carrock is an island of rock in the Anduin a little way to the esat of the Eyrie. An eyrie is a name for an eagle's nest, so allowing for the perils of translation, a set called Eagle's Nest could reflect a scene from the film. And eagles are too big a part of both the Hobbit and LOTR not to eventually end up as a set. So for my part, I'm hopeful we'll get one.

Well the eagles flew off at the end of the movie, that's where I'm getting my reasoning.

Azog would make a great minifig!

Agreed. I really wish he got him instead of Yazneg in Atttack of the Wargs.

The Black Gate will be huge set,like Helm's deep I believe,and I really want to cost as much as possible,because that means that it will be better. I wish to get: Aragorn in gondorian armor,Gandalf the white,Mouth of Sauron,Olog-hai,2x Mordor orcs warriors,Gondorias soldiers,and Rohan or Rohirrim soldier (but in some different printings and helmet desighn) eagle is not so much important to get in this set,because they are showing a lot of times in the movies (include the hobbit) but this is only chance to get Aragorn in gondorian printings,Mouth of Sauron and Olog-hai

Well the eagles flew off at the end of the movie, that's where I'm getting my reasoning.

Paraphrasing a different series, "They'll be back!" . You might well be right. But I hope not!

The Black Gate will be huge set,like Helm's deep I believe,and I really want to cost as much as possible,because that means that it will be better. I wish to get: Aragorn in gondorian armor,Gandalf the white,Mouth of Sauron,Olog-hai,2x Mordor orcs warriors,Gondorias soldiers,and Rohan or Rohirrim soldier (but in some different printings and helmet desighn) eagle is not so much important to get in this set,because they are showing a lot of times in the movies (include the hobbit) but this is only chance to get Aragorn in gondorian printings,Mouth of Sauron and Olog-hai

TBH I would rather they didn't include Gandalf the white as there are many more opportunities to have him in other sets, I would prefer another army builder, Rohan or Gondor soldier, or an Orc if it is different to the Orc forge ones.

I'd love to see one Rohan Soldier, one Gondor Soldier, the Mouth of Sauron (no other way to get it) and three Mordor Orcs in the Black Gate battle. A battlepack is all I need out of this set.

Does anybody know WHEN the new sets will be released? Spring or summer?

I'd love to see one Rohan Soldier, one Gondor Soldier, the Mouth of Sauron (no other way to get it) and three Mordor Orcs in the Black Gate battle. A battlepack is all I need out of this set.

Does anybody know WHEN the new sets will be released? Spring or summer?

March :)

If it's March, then I wonder why we haven't got a full list (or any pictures for that matter) yet...

Looks like TLG is really doing well keeping their stuff under wraps, especially nowadays... what a shame.

Yes under wraps but why so much secrecy for only LOTR?

Also it seems with the sets there are at least two incarnations which we want. Black Gate as battle pack and small or huge set with lots going on but expensive for minifigs. Orthanc as huge tower or just a small throne/palantir room set. Rivendell as a small section or a larger area with bridge and connecting rooms. It is agonizing without any details, far too much possibilities and in the end many of us will be disappointed that their version won't be the one represented in model form.

Edited by Mahtion

Hm....March seems like an unusual time to get a new wave. Does that mean that we won't see another Middle-earth wave until the next Hobbit one (likely December 2013)?

Hm....March seems like an unusual time to get a new wave. Does that mean that we won't see another Middle-earth wave until the next Hobbit one (likely December 2013)?

Not likely March, but probably May or June, like the first LOTR wave. And unless they do a special Fall exclusive, then yeah, next years The Hobbit wave will be the third official wave.

Yes under wraps but why so much secrecy for only LOTR?

Also it seems with the sets there are at least two incarnations which we want. Black Gate as battle pack and small or huge set with lots going on but expensive for minifigs. Orthanc as huge tower or just a small throne/palantir room set. Rivendell as a small section or a larger area with bridge and connecting rooms. It is agonizing without any details, far too much possibilities and in the end many of us will be disappointed that their version won't be the one represented in model form.

Yeah I wish we could see at least something like the the price list, or amount of minifigures to give us some indication.

Does anybody remember when we found out the specific sets of the first wave of lotr last year? I know we got the final confirmation announcement in december I believe but I don't think we actually saw set specifics and pictures until after whichever toyfair is in january. New York toy fair maybe? Again I haven't looked at posts or anything for proof of this, im just speculating on when I remember finding out.

Personally these are the sets I hope for. I think there will be 7-8. These aren't in any order

Betrayal of isengard-$ 60-100$- tower, palantir, with eagle (I know this will most likely not happen but if I picked a set to put one in it would be this one) , saruman, gandalf and some orcs. I wish we could get a grima but as this would mainly depict the scene of gandalf and sarumans battle and gandalfs escape I don't see grima fitting in.

Bridge of kazad dum (sp? ) - 30$-50$ gandalf, and a brixkbuilt balriog. I don't really know if this will have any great scenery or not but a breaking bridge would be cool.

Treebeard encounter - 30$-40$- merry, pippin, the orc that chases them into fangorn (i cant remember his name but it may be a generic orc also) and a brick built treebeard. Not sure if anything else will be included.

Battle at the black gate 60$-100$- gandalf the white, aragorn in gondorian armor, mouth of sauron, one mordor orc, one gondor soldier, one roman soldier and hopefully some horses. Im thinking the gate will be something like the size of the doors of the moria set with towers on each size. I really hope they make the wall big enough so that it has two doors that open and the ability to place figs on the tops of the doors like the movies.

Corsair ship ambush- 100$-150$ sweet pirate ship with aragorn, gimili, legolas, king of the dead, 2x or 3x oathbreakers, 2-3 corsairs, some sort of captain or leader of the corsair or orcs

Rivendell - 40$-80$- im not sure exactly what this will come out as.

Now these are the sets I want, I understand the prices I mentioned are large ranges but on most of them it depends on what scenery is included with them. Im not sure exactly what legos pricepoints they try to hit. I really hope we see some pictures soon though. Alright im done. #end rant

Most likely for sets based off reality more than expectations or wants.

Corsair will be largest set at around 900-1100 pieces (the Helms Deep) with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Undead King, Oathbreaker, 2 corsairs (maybe 3). There is the huge sleek ship with a cave where the Trio left the Path of the Dead. Play feature will be the cave will reveal the King of the Dead with a switch.

Black Gate is the Mines of Moria of this wave and has around 700-800 pieces with Aragorn in Gondor attire on Brego, Gandalf on Shadowfax, Mouth of Sauron, Gondor soldier, Mordor Orc (x2)

No troll we get 3 horses and no rohan soldiers, basic Moria gate style with the gate towers used instead of a backdrop like in Mines of Moria. I think we saw something pretty close in the LOTR lego game. Play feature will be opening gates and idk a wall or tower collapsing.

Third largest set is exclusive like Weathertop and it is Council of Elrond. Has around 400-500 pieces with Robed Elrond, Aragorn Rivdendell print or Legolas Robes, Arwen?, Gimli, Gloin, maybe Lindir? It will look a lot like the set piece from the game maybe with some mountain details below the council chamber and a waterfall. Play feature will be Gimli breaking the axe on the ring with altar.

Fourth largest set will be like Orc Forge, this will be the Bridge of Khazad-dum Around 300 pieces will have Gandalf, brick built Balrog like in game and the bridge will break apart.

Fifthlargest set will be Wizard Battle and like Uruk-Hai army set around 250 pieces featuring Saruman and Gandalf with Palantir room and balcony, just a piece of Orthanc. Play feature glowing Palantir orb.

Sixth largest set around 220 pieces will be Treebeard brick built like Shelob and have Merry and Pippin. Not much else but will be equivalent to Shelob attacks in size and price. Play feature Treebeard himself.

Seventh largest set will be Ringwraith with Frodo around the size (100 pieces) and price of Gandalf arrives with just a Ringwraith on horse, Frodo alone with a small bridge. Either that or maybe Arwen with Asfaloth but that is pushing it. The set would have been called Ford of Bruinen or Arwen's stand but that's not the case.

Edited by Mahtion

Any chance we will get another castle-like set similar to Helm's Deep?

Well we get a boat and a sorta castle out of black gate and possibly another round structure for council of Elrond. Maybe in the Hobbit wave we will get a Dol Guldur or Mirkwood Palace to satisfy Castle cravings.

I had an idea for the black gate, TLG could make it a bit like the helms deep wall except taller, so they would release the main set, and an army builder, so if you wanted to expand the length of the gate, you could. The builder set would come something like 2 orcs and 1 gondor, and one rohan soldier, it would be around £20

Just found this image of the in game Mouth of sauron, the helmet and printing look good, this could be the actual design for the one in the set (black gate).

MouthofSauron.jpg

Edited by sup2yous