CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

What you have described is my point: It is lame to lump a 'super hero' theme together. Super heros are a different beast than most properties and I hope TLG gets that. I think it will/would make them a lot of money. It would be awesome if they were holding back news for some pleasant surprises...more sets and some bigger sets, namely.

The thing to remember is that the Superheroes theme isn't even 2 years old yet. When Star Wars came out in 1999 it only had 15 sets. The whole Superheroes theme had 12, which is pretty good considering all the other licence themes LEGO has. No other new licence themes have 12 sets a year. This to me shows that LEGO is treating this theme as a long term investment. The only concern I have is the amount of MCU sets on the Marvel side. I can think of at least 3 sets that could be cut out to make room for others.

What you have described is my point: It is lame to lump a 'super hero' theme together. Super heros are a different beast than most properties and I hope TLG gets that. I think it will/would make them a lot of money. It would be awesome if they were holding back news for some pleasant surprises...more sets and some bigger sets, namely.

I am totally with you. I would LOVE if they were separate. I'm more of a Marvel fan and would eat up more sets over what DC is producing.

I wish LEGO gave away actual comic books with their sets. That would be an awesome incentive or like a sneak peak of an upcoming comic- 10 pages or so.

Or even a LEGO variant cover. Marvel and DC do so many variants of covers I don't see why they don't do LEGO ones.

Probably because most of the sets revolve around a cartoon or movie. They'd have to make a st based on the contents of a comic, and considering most are 4-5 issues long, could be a bit problematic.

Hasbro have lucked out with the Transformers Spotlight books, highlighting one character in one issue that they can package in with character designs not seen in another medium.

I certainly hope they increase the number of sets next year. With all the MCU stuff its slowly pushing the X-men and Spider-man stuff out. In the next 2 years we have Thor: the dark world, Captain America: the winter solider and Guardians of the galaxy. Hopefully they all don't get 3 sets each as that's 9 sets. Looking at the this year and last years that's 3/4 of the whole superheroes wave.

Well, I think next year is going to be interesting. I have done the math(It's very simple and I making sound complex) and we got 6 DC sets and 6 Marvel sets last year. So far this year, we have 6 DC sets and 5 Marvel sets. Now knowing this information though, I think lego will have a sixith marvel set released at sometime this year, most likely based off of Thor 2.

Considering this 6 sets each for DC and Marvel, here's what I think we can expect to see next year...

DC sets:

4 Batman Sets

1 Flash Set

1 Green Lantern Set

Marvel Sets:

3 Captain America: The Winter Soilder Sets

2 Guardians of the Galaxy Sets

1 Lego Exclusive Ultimate Spider Man Set

I really don't know though these ideas are just considering the 6 sets for Marvel and DC a year theory I have created. Hopefully though when the contract between Lego, Marvel and DC a new one will be written that allows lego to make more sets to promote the line.

Edited by North Lego Star

Well, I think next year is going to be interesting. I have done the math(It's very simple and I making sound complex) and we got 6 DC sets and 6 Marvel sets last year. So far this year, we have 6 DC sets and 5 Marvel sets. Now knowing this information though, I think lego will have a sixith marvel set released at sometime this year, most likely based off of Thor 2.

Considering this 6 sets each for DC and Marvel, here's what I think we can expect to see next year...

DC sets:

4 Batman Sets

1 Flash Set

1 Green Lantern Set

Marvel Sets:

3 Captain America: The Winter Soilder Sets

2 Guardians of the Galaxy Sets

1 Ultimate Spider Man Set

I really don't know though these ideas are just considering the 6 sets for Marvel and DC a year theory I have created. Hopefully though when the contract between Lego, Marvel and DC a new one will be written that allows lego to make more sets to promote the line.

I don't think the amount of sets would be set out in the contract.

However I see next year more like this for Marvel:

2 Captain America sets

2 Guardians of the galaxy

1 Ultimate Spider-man

1 X-men set S@H exclusive (Like Arkham this year. Most likely X-mansion).

That way they cover all the Marvel Franchises that are having movies next year ( Cap, ASM 2, GG and DOFP).

Just like they are ready for this year Iron man, Wolverine (last years Chopper showdown will still be on shelves) and most likely Thor.

I think another thing to consider is that certain superheroes might lend themselves a lot better to TLG's plans than others. Iron Man, for instance, is relatively family-friendly and is all about building. Thor is safely in a fantasy real. Captain America is somewhat limited due to his nationalistic overtones (not a bad thing, but still a market consideration), and his rogues' galleries tend to be excessively repugnant figures- sadistic scientists, neo-Nazis, etc. that might not play well with TLG's target audience. Certain superheroes, like the Punisher or, to a more limited extent, Captain America again, might not work so well due to their realistic nature: it would be entirely possible for there to be an actual Punisher, and his actions would be upsetting to most parents.

A very valed point my friend, Winter Solider sets where what Im excited for next year

and it would be disipointing not to get them.Will have to see how Lego plays this out.

A very valed point my friend, Winter Solider sets where what Im excited for next year

and it would be disipointing not to get them.Will have to see how Lego plays this out.

Although I look forward to possible Thor 2 sets. I'm most excited for CA: WS sets, it'd be a real shame if we didn't get at least one set. And as far as Nazis, Indiana Jones had Nazis and Russians!

Although I look forward to possible Thor 2 sets. I'm most excited for CA: WS sets, it'd be a real shame if we didn't get at least one set. And as far as Nazis, Indiana Jones had Nazis and Russians!

They were never called Nazis in the sets or video games. There was never any nazi flags or emblems in the sets. Plus the soldiers were simply called German soldiers.

It shouldn't be a problem as the Red skull is more linked to Hydra than Nazis, even in the film he says he doesn't care about Hitlers vision.

In the comics Hydra and the Skull have been linked to so many different groups (Nazis, Communists and terrorists). I'm sure there's a way LEGO can get around the problem, just call them Hydra soldiers, give them Hydra logos and it would be fine.

They were never called Nazis in the sets or video games. There was never any nazi flags or emblems in the sets. Plus the soldiers were simply called German soldiers.

It shouldn't be a problem as the Red skull is more linked to Hydra than Nazis, even in the film he says he doesn't care about Hitlers vision.

In the comics Hydra and the Skull have been linked to so many different groups (Nazis, Communists and terrorists). I'm sure there's a way LEGO can get around the problem, just call them Hydra soldiers, give them Hydra logos and it would be fine.

Hydra destroyed the Nazis in the MCU and took over their role in the second world war. There is no problem, just make all the Nazis belong to Hydra and everything is fine.

If anything there is a bigger problem in that they do the next movie as a political thriller and it is questionable how this would translate into sets. The later Harry Potter books went in the direction where there was little action to work with which led to declining sets, cancellation of the line and a revival in time for the last movie where they mostly only reissued sets.

Well, you also have to consider that not everyone buys Super Hero themed sets, so maybe TLG is releasing the number of sets they feel comfortable with so as to not turn buyers away from their other product lines. I love many themes, so if they started releasing more of just one theme, then I probably would cut out another theme and I would assume many others may do the same. It may or may not be in the contract about how many sets they can release each year and maybe it isn't equal between the two, but maybe TLG is trying to keep it a level playing field and releasing what they feel will sell the best at any given time. Even though Marvel has a lot more source material right now and DC is struggling with the Justice League idea, it doesn't always translate to LEGO deciding to favor with one company over the other.

I am more than okay with how many they've released so far and what we have received.

The whole Superheroes theme had 12, which is pretty good considering all the other licence themes LEGO has. No other new licence themes have 12 sets a year. This to me shows that LEGO is treating this theme as a long term investment.

LOTR/Hobbit had 12 last year (but only four scheduled for the summer so far :cry3: ). I agree that the superheroes sets have a lot more staying potential, simply because they will always have movies coming out, but I don't think that is represented by the size of the line.

Thanks for the video :thumbup: The fig looks nice, but not nice enough for me to buy the video for it. I really like the head though!

Thanks for the video link! So is the LEGO Batman movie like the Padawan Menace movie that came with young Han Solo?

Edited by The_Creator

I think we are missing some crucial elements to how Lego calculates the number of sets for given themes. We look at the Superhero type sets as 6 and 6 Marvel and DC. We forget that TLG may view the total "Superhero" type licensed lines as 6 + 6 + 6, as TMNT is technically a similar comic type superhero property. At 18 sets total it is not too far removed from a theme like SW. (And let's not forget SW has been Legos profit point for a decade. I assume if Superhero's hits that point by Avengers 2 we will see more.)

I think we are missing some crucial elements to how Lego calculates the number of sets for given themes. We look at the Superhero type sets as 6 and 6 Marvel and DC. We forget that TLG may view the total "Superhero" type licensed lines as 6 + 6 + 6, as TMNT is technically a similar comic type superhero property. At 18 sets total it is not too far removed from a theme like SW. (And let's not forget SW has been Legos profit point for a decade. I assume if Superhero's hits that point by Avengers 2 we will see more.)

I highly doubt that TMNT is included under Superheroes. Although the Turtles originated in comics, the sets are based off the new Animated series. Second if they were included under the Superheroes banner they would have it written on the box. I see TMNT as a replacement for Spongebob as they both, come under the Nick banner.

I highly doubt that TMNT is included under Superheroes. Although the Turtles originated in comics, the sets are based off the new Animated series. Second if they were included under the Superheroes banner they would have it written on the box. I see TMNT as a replacement for Spongebob as they both, come under the Nick banner.

You are missing the point. Marketing does not necessarily go by what is written on the box. They are apportioning shelf space based on target audiences and play roles. While TMNT is not considered a Marvel or DC "Superhero" set, it is playing in the same general area. Close enough that it may very easily be allotted shelf space in at least an informal pool with the comic book themes. The number of TMNT sets on the shelf will be calculated against and have an impact on the number of DC and Marvel sets. Just as much of what we consider the "Action" themes will share a pool of shelf space. While 6 and 6 sets for DC and Marvel feels low to us, If you consider TMNT as part of the more over reaching play theme (which the marketing people will) it comes out as 18-20 sets putting little costumed crime fighters from cartoons in kids hands, which is on par with a moderate year for Star Wars sets.

Just curious, It their a 100% official UK release date for the ultimate showown? As I would like to include it in my big order for 2x VIP points. :)

Just curious, It their a 100% official UK release date for the ultimate showown? As I would like to include it in my big order for 2x VIP points. :)

I'm guessing next week. I was at the MK LEGO store yesterday and they had all the Iron man 3 sets. I picked up the Mansion and Sea port battle.