Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

What I would love is a set with nothing but the fellowship to keep prices down.It costs way to much to get all of them. With only them the price would only be $20 :cry_happy:

What I would love is a set with nothing but the fellowship to keep prices down.It costs way to much to get all of them. With only them the price would only be $20 :cry_happy:

That will never happen though. LEGO is trying to make money and they know that people will spend what ever it takes to finish their LEGO fellowship, so from a business standpoint the best way for them to make money off these sets is to split the Fellowship up into as many sets as they can. The same will probably happen with the 13 dwarves from the hobbit.

The set with bagend looks great. I love the cozy interior design. It also has the book bilbo uses to write There and Back Again.

post-29702-13423625669654.jpg

Personally l believe that collecting 13 awsome dwarfs is even better than collecting the felloship.Thats my opinion since l like much more the hobbit than the trilogy.

I think, with the news of the Bag End set, we need to see a big exclusive Shire. The set could be based on FOTR, with the Green Dragon Inn as the main building, styled similarly to Bag End in that it seems closed from the front, but has an open back for playability. Then, the rest of the set could be Bilbo's Party. The set could have the big tent, three big tables, the barrels Bilbo makes his speech on (with maybe a feature where he can fall into a barrel, seeming like he has disappeared). Also, the big party tree with all of the lanterns could be the second big building component of the set. The figures could include Frodo in casual clothes (something different from Gandalf Arrives), Sam in casual clothes, Merry and Pippin with alternate scared faces that are blacked by the shooting of the firework, Old Bilbo, Rosie Cotton, Gandalf, and a generic male and female Hobbit.

Yeah, I would love more Hobbiton. I don’t think you need to duplicate the figures from Gandalf Arrives, though. Perhaps instead the Gaffer, Ted Sandyman, and/or Everard Proudfoot!

That's a great idea, Fives. I think LEGO could pull off a great Hobbiton set, similar in style to the Diagon Alley set.

If Lego made a set of Hobbiton, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Bilbo's birthday would be fantastic too. Either way, the set would have to include Rosie. I don't know if I'm in a minority here, but I'm going crazy wanting a Rosie minifig. (Yes, I'm a male FOL with a Friends Stormtroopers avatar, wanting a female hobbit. :laugh:) Bilbo's Birthday or Hobbiton would probably also do well to include Merry and Pippin. Having Fatty would be amazing as well! Then we could have all of the "conspirators" from the book.

Just a couple of my fantasies. :classic:

Two problems here. First off, Lego doesn't own the figure license with LotR, they own the building/construction license so even if they offered the full Fellowship they would also need to include a piece of scenery or a building.

Second of all, the full Fellowship is made up of 9 minifigs. There is no way Lego is gonna do 9 minifigs for 20 bucks, especially if they have to include some bricks to make a scene. At the very cheapest the set would be like $30-$40 and it wouldn't include much more than a small rock out cropping or something, which Lego wouldn't make. They would make a proper set and try to recreate some scene.

As for a Hobbiton set, I don't see Lego doing that for a long, long time (if ever). There still are so many more big action scenes Lego needs to do it's not even funny. The Balrog attack, Warg ambush, Ents, Fel Beast, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Smaug, Five Armies battle, etc. Plus we are getting a Bag End set very soon so the chances of them doing another Shire inspired set are that much more distant. If they were going to do the Fellowship in one set they should do a $130 Rivendell set where the Fellowship first forms.

I could see a fellowship minifigure box being a think they'd sell exclusively at some convention.

If i'm not mistaken I think lego says a lisenced minifigure costs around 3$ so the set would be somewhere over 27$

A set like this won't be at all likely uintill the sales of the first wave lotr sets dry up substantialy.

As good as getting all the minifigures in one set is. Spreading them out in sets is great so there won't be a horrible amount of duplicates (harry potter) for people that already buy several of the sets.

As for a Hobbiton set, I don't see Lego doing that for a long, long time (if ever). There still are so many more big action scenes Lego needs to do it's not even funny. The Balrog attack, Warg ambush, Ents, Fel Beast, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Smaug, Five Armies battle, etc. Plus we are getting a Bag End set very soon so the chances of them doing another Shire inspired set are that much more distant.

Maybe, but consider geographically their strategy so far, from the sets we know about:

SHIRE: An Unexpected Gathering, Gandalf Arrives, Frodo w/ Cooking Corner

ROHAN/ISENGARD: The Battle of Helm’s Deep, The Orc Forge, Uruk-hai Army, Uruk-hai w/ Ballista, Orthanc?

STANDALONE: The Mines of Moria, Attack on Weathertop, Shelob Attacks

You can detect a strategy at play here. There seems to be a balancing act between “the greatest hits of Middle-earth” on the one hand, and on the other hand the collectibility of a complete tableau of the two current focus regions.

Apart from Bag end all the others are speculation!

Although Wargs would be great I play LOTR Strategy battle game except with Lego it is great! Try it.

Edited by Duke of wellington

I want a set with the Eagles.

That way, I can play my own LOTR scenario where the Great Eagle speedily flies Frodo into Mordor where he just chucks it into the volcano.

One does not simply walk into Mordor. So, you fly over it.

This page debates this possibility and dates back to before the movies were even made.

http://www.sean-crist.com/personal/pages/eagles/index.html

Funny youtube vid relating to this

Edited by SheepEater

I want a set with the Eagles.

That way, I can play my own LOTR scenario where the Great Eagle speedily flies Frodo into Mordor where he just chucks it into the volcano.

One does not simply walk into Mordor. So, you fly over it.

This page debates this possibility and dates back to before the movies were even made.

http://www.sean-crist.com/personal/pages/eagles/index.html

Except for all the Fel Beast flying over Mordor, and the great eye always watching, it seems like a great plan! :tongue:

I agree about the Eagles though, I would LOVE to see a set include them. I totally dig all the fantasy creatures in LotR, which is one of the many reasons I enjoy it soo much.

Edited by Deathleech

We might get some Eagles on the upcoming hobbit sets.

Yes, the possible "Warg Attack" set seems ideal to introduce one. I could see it featuring four minifigures (2 goblins, 2 dwarves) as well as two wargs and one eagle.

MOVIE SPOILER:

I am looking very much forward to the announcement 3rd Hobbit movie. :thumbup: Peter Jackson includes a lot of stuff from the "Unfinished Tales" into the movies. And he wants with that material to create a "connection" between The Hobbit tale and LotR.

Woha, but what from that material could LEGO "transform" into LEGO sets?

=============== Before The Hobbit ===============

An awful lot of this backstory is already confirmed to be in, judging by casting announcements and other official released info. It will be told in flashback scenes.

- Looking for Mithril, The Dwarves delve too greedily and too deep:

Balrog appears in Moria and kicks out all the Dwarves. Moria then becomes populated with Sauron's creatures.

Hmmm, why not?

I would love to see LEGO Draves warriors from Moria against some orcs.

Here is also a nice opportunity to include the Balrog. :thumbup:

- The Moria refugee Dwarves move North and found new kingdoms there:

-- Thrain I and his people found the Dwarf kingdom of Erebor under the Lonely Mountain. He discovers The Arkenstone there.

-- Thorin I and his people move to the Grey Mountains. This region is swarming with Dragons of various types (e.g. Cold Drakes), and the dragons make war on the Dwarves. The Dwarves abandon the Grey Mountains.

I like the former dragons from the LEGO Vikings line. Here is a lot of stuff for army building sets and other playable battle sets with real LEGO Dwarf warriors with emblems on shields or flags. (For example a Battle Pack with Dwarf soldiers of the Grey Mountains)

- The Grey Mountain refugees either move to the Iron Hills, or go to Erebor.

- Erebor subsequently prospers and Smaug The Golden hears of this and decides he wants a piece of it - Smaug comes to Erebor and kicks the Dwarves out, and destroys the city of Dale for good measure.

- The Dwarven King Thror passes the ring of Durin's line - one of Sauron's Seven Rings that were gifted to the Dwarves - to his son Thrain II.

- Thror, possibly half-crazed from the ring's influence visits Moria, only to be sadistically killed by the resident orcs there. The Dwarves hear of this and all hell breaks loose, leading to...

- The War of the Dwarves and Orcs, culminating in the Battle of Azanulbizar at Moria, which involves and sets up a lot of the major players in The Hobbit, including the named Orc enemies. Thorin II (Thorin Oakenshield) comes of age here in battle at Nanduhirion and gains his surname.

LEGO could for example create for the Battle of Azanulbizar follow minifigures:

- King Thror with golden armor, golden ax, dark blue targe with moria emblem, golden helmet with dark blue hackle

- Orc-king Azog with chrome black armor, spiked mace and black ax, chrome black helmet (crown moulded)

- Náin with dark grey armor and dark grey helmet with black hackle

- Frerin with bronze armor, bronze helmet (two wings moulded) and lance with banner of Durin

- Dáin II Ironfoot with bronze armor (gravure: lettering of Durin), bronze helmet (two dragon tooths), axe and horn

- Thorin II Oakenshield with dark grey armor (gravure: lettering of Durin), dark grey helmet with dark blue hackle,

- Corruption of Thrain II by the ring of Durin's line -(note, not the One Ring) and his capture and imprisonment in Sauron's fortress of Dol Guldur. Sauron takes back the ring of Durin's line.

- Gandalf sneaks into Dol Guldur and discovers Sauron is there. He finds a really messed up Thrain II and recieves the Key of Erebor. Thrain dies.

Sauron's Fortress of Dol Guldur is a must have! Mayby in a size of Helm's Deep with lesser walls but more caves and towers

- First White Council meeting. (This consists of the Wizards, and some uber-Elves like Galadriel and Glorfindel). They talk about the "Sauron problem", but Saruman overrules the decision to attack Dol Guldur. (Saruman secretly wants the One Ring himself and goes searching for it).

- Gandalf randomly bumps into Thorin in the pub (in Bree), they get talking and decide it's in both of their interests to start a quest to deal with Smaug; Thorin wants his gold back, Gandalf wants Smaug dead.

LEGO could put these minifigures in a conformable Rivendell set. :thumbup:

=============== During The Hobbit ===============

This is absolutely confirmed to be in.

- Second White Council meeting. Saruman agrees to attack Dol Guldur this time (because he thinks it will distract Sauron from searching for the One Ring).

- Sauron's fortress of Dol Guldur is attacked by the White Council - Sauron is defeated and buggers off (to Mordor, as it happens).

- After the Battle of Five Armies, Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes king.

I would like to see a small LEGO set (Gandalf's carriage size) where Bard is crowned to be a king.

=============== After The Hobbit (but before LotR) ===============

After this point we start moving into "Bridge Film" territory. This might only be seen in the film if we end up with a post-Shire sequence, which is very possible. How long it will be though, is anyone's guess.

- Gollum starts searching for the One Ring. Is captured and tortured in Mordor.

- Sauron openly declares himself; rebuilds Barad-Dur.

- Saruman moves into Isengard and fortifies it, but gets ensnared and corrupted by Sauron when he looks into the Orthanc-stone.

- Nazgul are sent to reclaim Dol Guldur. It is now commanded by Khamûl the Black Easterling.

- Frodo is born. His parents are killed in a freak boating accident and Bilbo adopts him.

- Balin starts a quest with a bunch of Dwarves to retake Moria. (one reason for the quest is that Balin thinks the ring of Durin's line ended up here when Thror died at Azanulbizar) The quest fails and they all die in Moria (surprise).

I would love to see the Orthanc-stone in lighting style.

=============== During LotR ======================================

War breaks out all over the Northern Kingdoms. It's possible that Khamûl the Easterling would be commanding the Enemy forces from Dol Guldur.

This is unlikely to be seen in the film because it takes place right in the thick of The War of the Ring (overlapping with RotK).

- Lorien is attacked by the Enemy.

- Dale and Erebor are attacked by the Enemy.

- Thranduil's Realm (Mirkwood) is attacked by the Enemy.

- The good guys win and Dol Guldur is completely blown the gently caress up by Galadriel's magic.

And here we have again a lot of possibilities for Battle Packs and Army Building Sets.

Yep,

LEGO has with this theme more stuff than 20 waves....

But I am also excided of the upcoming sets based of the Hobbit tale. :sweet:

Edited by Elander

I'll expect that we'll see a Balrog with an un-hatted Gandalf (I would really appreciate that) in the next wave of LOTR sets. Probably (and hopefully) a set with a Gandalf the White, if LEGO knows what they're doing. Maybe some ents, too. It may be too out of scale, but possibly, if LEGO saw that LOTR and the Hobbit were popular enough themes, and assuming they haven't cancelled the line, we might, in, say, two or three years, see a UCS minifig-scale Helm's Deep set. This would both please and annoy me, cause although it would be awesome, I've already wasted my money on the system scale one.XD I would also really like to see an oiliphant set with caped Legolas. Hope that happens.

Edited by lotryay

The titles of the trilogy are reported by Theonering.net to be

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG

THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES

So no Lost Tales stuff in there, but we can expect a buttload of Dwarves - Thorin's company and Iron Hills alike, meaning, Billy Connolly minifig. Almost guarantees a Laketown set of some kind.

SPOILER ALARM at the Games Workshop Hobbit proclamation for the first Hobbit film. :thumbup:

Damn, LEGO please release a collectable Minifigure Series for the Hobbit and the Unfinished Tales like this list (for Winter 2012/13) by Games Worshop: :blush:

DWARVES Sets:

Dwarves: Kili & Fili & Longbeard Archers

Dwarves: Bombur with Kettle

Dwarves: Drogo Baggins & The Tavern Maid

Dwarves: Dáin & Iron Hill Berserkers

Dwarves: King Thráin & Longbeard Vanguard

Dwarves: Young Thorin & Longbeard Mattockguard

Dwarves: King Thrór

Dwarves: Dragon Mithril Company of Dwarves

Dwarves: Dáin Ironfoot & Iron Hill Boar Riders

Dwarves: Dís, Mother of Kili and Fili

Dwarves: Gimli (Stubble)

Dwarves: Samwise Gamgee (Red Book)

WARGS Sets:

Wargs: Dire Warg

Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves

Wargs: Feral Wolf Pack

Wargs: The Werebeast

Wargs: Lagdush & Orc Wolfcloak Warriors

Wargs: Narzug & Orc Warg-Riders

Wargs: Dol Guldur Orc Overlords

Wargs: Orc Chieftain on Warg

Wargs: Orc Wolfbone Shaman

DOL GULDUR Sets:

Dol Guldur: Leaping Spiders / Shiverfang Spiders

Dol Guldur: Spiderlings

Dol Guldur: The Willowhags

Dol Guldur: Bloodwraiths

Dol Guldur: Gwethil

Dol Guldur: The Necromancer / Flesh Avatar

Dol Guldur: Narzug & Orc Summoner Coven

Dol Guldur: Tomb Wights

Dol Guldur: Mounted Tomb Wights

Dol Guldur: Saruman & The Ringwraiths

Dol Guldur: Vampire Bat Swarms

SILVAN ELVES Sets:

Silvan Elves: Legolas & Mirkwood Fire Archers

Silvan Elves: Mirkwood Warhost

Silvan Elves: King Thranduil (Battle Garb)

Silvan Elves: Tauriel (Mounted)

Silvan Elves: Castellan Amroth

WHITE COUNCIL Sets:

White Council: Mounted Rivendell Nobles

White Council: Lindir the Harper

White Council: Arwen & Estel

White Council: Galadriel (Barrel)

White Council: Radagast with Roäc & Swoop

White Council: Galadriel (Water Steed)

White Council: The War Council

White Council: Galadriel & Lórien Drumhooves

White Council: Chief Aravir & Dúnedain Rangers

White Council: Dúnedain Runecaster

White Council: Elrond & Rivendell Spearguard

White Council: Elros & Rivendell Outriders

White Council: Radagast's Chariot / Spellfire Cart

White Council: Cirdan the Shipwright

MOUNTAIN ORCS Set:

Mountain Orcs: Azog & Orc Needlers

Mountain Orcs: Azog (Wounded)

Mountain Orcs: Bolg & Great Goblin Bodyguard

Mountain Orcs: Armoured Hill-Trolls / Frenzied Trolls

Mountain Orcs: Orc Stone Thrower

MEN OF ESGAROTH Sets:

Men of Esgaroth: King Girion

Men of Esgaroth: Fram the Watchman

Men of Esgaroth: The Master of Lake-Town

Men of Esgaroth: Bard & Greystreak Bowmen

Men of Esgaroth: Bain & Quickstrings Gang / Trout Guild Militia

Men of Esgaroth: Alfrid & Loyal Town Guard

Men of Esgaroth: Garf & Footsoldiers of the Dale

GREY MOUNTAIN DRAGONS Sets:

Grey Mountain Dragons: Fire-wyrms

Grey Mountain Dragons: Braga & Goldscale Worshippers

Grey Mountain Dragons: Venomblade Assassin

Grey Mountain Dragons: Goldscale Priest

Grey Mountain Dragons: Bofur on Cold-Drake

Grey Mountain Dragons: Dragon Thrall

Grey Mountain Dragons: Money Bags & Hired Knives

Grey Mountain Dragons: Fell Hatchlings

BEORNINGS Sets:

Beornings: Woodmen Healer

Beornings: Fair Daughter

Beornings: Meneldor & Swiftbeak Flock

Beornings: Gorm & Woodmen Axethrowers / Skin-Changers

Beornings: Whisperbark / Gnarlfir

Beornings: Black Bear Pack

Beornings: Enraged Beorn

Beornings: Grimbeorn (Greataxe)

...I am happy!

These characters in LEGO style would be amazing! :sweet:

Edited by Elander

I want a set "Bridge of Khazad-Dûm" with a Balrog and Gandalf fighting. It would be a great extension for the Moria set already available. But I guess that has already been mentioned. I guess I just have to design my own Balrog until then.

Lego started one year too late with these sets. They should have started last year and release a second wave of LotR this year. So they can start releasing The Hobbit sets at the end of this or at the beginning of next year. So they have possibly 2 Tolkien set lines running next year. Which would also be great.

I mean, there is so much stuff and scenes in LotR that demand to be made a Lego set. But we will see what the future brings. The Hobbit will take several years until the last film is released. Lots of time to release new sets.

I hope for a lot of battle packs (as it seems 2011/2012 is the year of SW battle packs) to increase army size easily.

Here are some suggestions:

Moria Goblin Battle pack

4 Moria Goblins, 2 with bows and 2 with swords (in both hands)

As a piece of scenery: a pilar of Moria's mine

Helm's Deep defender Battle pack

1 Elven archer, 2 Gondorian soldiers with shield and sword, 1 Rohan Rider on a horse

As a piece of scenery: a piece of wall

Helm's Deep attack Battle pack

4 Uruk-Hai, 2 with spears and 2 with swords

As a piece of scenery: a ladder and a ram

I could also imagine some exclusive sets and Large sets that everyone wishes for:

Gandalf vs the Balrog. I hope they do that helms deep battle pack :sweet:

Bilbo vs Smaug

Treebeard with Merry and Pippin

Isengard, Gandalf vs Saruman

Eowyn vs Witchking on a Fellbeast

Rivendel, incl. Elrond, Arwen and Galadriel

Etc. Etc.

More idea's to come later :cry_happy: let the battle begin

i hope they do that battle pack for helms deep Edited by Theduke

Do you guys remember the really old Harry Potter sets, the ones that all attached together to make the main castle huge? I want a Minas Tirith like that, one main set that would be like $150-$200, and other little sets that all attach on, such as the library where Gandalf does his research on the ring, the beacon tower, etc.

Edited by Evan D