So, I'm developing a custom Lego wargame to replace the Brikwars rules my gaming group has grown increasingly frustrated with. The infantile tone, the lack of support for supernatural powers and role-playing game-style stuff, etc. have all made us uncomfortable with the Brikwars ruleset. We've tried BOW, the Bricks-Only-Wargame, but the lack of flexibility was too much of a drawback. So, I'm creating a rule set that hopefully will blend a bit of both games and pull in some new stuff to create an entirely new wargame suitable for any situation, from vast armies with simple statistics to highly-detailed role-playing game adventures. I currently lack playtesters, so I'm asking this: If I came up with a simple battlefield, released a pdf of the rules, and set up a play-by-forum type of thing, would anyone here want to playtest it? If there's no interest, I'll look somewhere else, but given the popularity of the Mafia games and so on, I think there's no reason I couldn't try to set up a forum wargame.

So, I'm developing a custom Lego wargame to replace the Brikwars rules my gaming group has grown increasingly frustrated with. The infantile tone, the lack of support for supernatural powers and role-playing game-style stuff, etc. have all made us uncomfortable with the Brikwars ruleset. We've tried BOW, the Bricks-Only-Wargame, but the lack of flexibility was too much of a drawback. So, I'm creating a rule set that hopefully will blend a bit of both games and pull in some new stuff to create an entirely new wargame suitable for any situation, from vast armies with simple statistics to highly-detailed role-playing game adventures. I currently lack playtesters, so I'm asking this: If I came up with a simple battlefield, released a pdf of the rules, and set up a play-by-forum type of thing, would anyone here want to playtest it? If there's no interest, I'll look somewhere else, but given the popularity of the Mafia games and so on, I think there's no reason I couldn't try to set up a forum wargame.

Have you taken a look at the Heroica RPG ruleset? It's rather robust, and, as long as you're in a setting that allows magic, it'd port just fine to tabletop gaming. Several of the Quests have also released different supplemental rulesets, like exploration, army battles, and the like; it's an infinitely expandable system that way. :wink:

Have you taken a look at the Heroica RPG ruleset? It's rather robust, and, as long as you're in a setting that allows magic, it'd port just fine to tabletop gaming. Several of the Quests have also released different supplemental rulesets, like exploration, army battles, and the like; it's an infinitely expandable system that way. :wink:

I'm working on something that doesn't necessarily involve magic, and I also want the system to be simple to grasp- if possible, it should be possible to get the basic idea after 10 minutes of basic explanation. I will incorporate some aspects of the Heroica RPG rules into what I'm tentatively titling BORPs, but I've got a decent system already for basic combat.

I'm working on something that doesn't necessarily involve magic, and I also want the system to be simple to grasp- if possible, it should be possible to get the basic idea after 10 minutes of basic explanation. I will incorporate some aspects of the Heroica RPG rules into what I'm tentatively titling BORPs, but I've got a decent system already for basic combat.

Heroica can be leapt straight into after 5 minutes or less to read the main rules, so I'd say it's as simple as a non-computerized stat-based RPG can get. :classic:

Heroica can be leapt straight into after 5 minutes or less to read the main rules, so I'd say it's as simple as a non-computerized stat-based RPG can get. :classic:

Yes, but as an RPG, (rather than a tabletop wargame) there are two sides to playing. There's playing as a character, which, as you say is simple and easy. And then there's actually running the game as a QuestMaster, which, as anyone who's done it can tell you, is a lot more complicated and time consuming.

Playing a wargame properly means you need to know the appropriate rules in order to make informed tactical choices about movement, attack, defence and other actions. More complicated than playing Sandy's Heroica as a character, less than playing it as a QM

I'm not 100% sure that this belongs here, as there is a Games forum, but that seems to be for forum games.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a brick-based tabletop wargame- I know Brikwars exists, but it's devolved into a morass of puerile humor and the release of the next edition seems to have stalled. I've got a nice rule set I'm working on as a personal project, and I was wondering how people would be interested in a fun minifig-scale game that mixes the best bits of Brikwars and the excellent Mobile Frame Zero tabletop mech game.

I have thought about this myself. As well as being into LEGO I also collect, make and paint Warhammer 40K stuff, although I do not actually game as I find it tedious, I enjoy collectin and painting the models. When i was younger (And we are talking 30 years ago.) we had rules sets that were very fast to play and simple. These were often ones we had made up ourselves or converted from commercial ones to be fast and easy.

It has not escaped my attention that LEGO Mini-figure scale is pretty much the same as that of 25mm - 28mm models of various designs and manufacturers and that as such a LEGO City scape would be a very interesting place to hold a battle. It has pretty much everything you need, wide open streets, building most of which have interior and opening doors, windows, roof spaces etc.

I guess that the 25mm - 28mm figures could easily be replaced with mini-figures representing the same armies. Especially with the release of Custom Mini-figures which could easily substitute armored aliens or humans of various types if you wanted to keep it all LEGO.

So would I be interested? Well, yes sort of although probably more on the settings, collecting armies and vehicles rather than actually being bothered to game with it myself. But i would like to see what others get up to in this respect?

Just think, Ultramarines versus Blacktron! World Eaters versus Space Police! I'd like to see that!

I looked into the BrikWar rules quite a while ago, I'll certainly be interested to see your take on a new version!

It wouldn't be a new version of Brikwars, per se, just another wargame that tries to incorporate the good aspects of Brikwars and other games into a new play experience.