Hello everyone,

The GBC (Great Ball Contraption) is one of the main reasons I get into Technic. I just love the whole concept of it. I have built my own using zamor spheres, which are a dime a dozen.

Recently I moved to the US, which means I have the oppurtunity this year to participate in a real GBC display. To my dismay, however, the prices of the soccer and basketballs have dramatically increased, and I can't find any for less than $1 a ball! This is insane!

Is there anything I can do? How do you guys get your GBC balls?

Thanks,

sqiddster

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I did just want to say welcome!

That is a really nice GBC module you have made. Do you have any videos of it? :thumbup:

Do you plan on attending any of the LEGO conventions here in the US? There are usually some nice GBC layouts at the conventions.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Thanks, I hadn't seen that topic.

It really is a pity though. The GBC standard was created in 2005... I wonder how hard it would be to change that standard?

If not, beads would be a somewhat suitable replacement. I worry about weight differences, however!

@dhc6twinotter, there is a link to the youtube vid in the flickr description. The reason I am conforming to real GBC standards is because I can come to BrickFair this year! I am very excited, have a number of module ideas, but my main problem is the insane prices for the balls! The organizer for the event was nice enough to mail me a handful, but the module I am working on is huge, and will be able to lay out a grid of balls in a color pattern! This requires a huge amount of balls (hee hee).

Hmm....

You can support the GBC balls project in cuusoo: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7753

:thumbup: In Hispalug we make with member donations a GBC balls vault of the community for the gbc displays, each gbc builder keep a little number of balls to test modules, but in the events we use the balls from the LUG vault :classic:

You can support the GBC balls project in cuusoo: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7753

:thumbup: In Hispalug we make with member donations a GBC balls vault of the community for the gbc displays, each gbc builder keep a little number of balls to test modules, but in the events we use the balls from the LUG vault :classic:

Parda, you are very fortunate to have access to so many balls! Too bad I don't live in Europe...

Hmm. It really is a shame.

In all honesty, I have doubts about that Cuusoo project. It is a great idea, and I wish it would work, but the way it is going it seems the only projects getting through are those with references to popular culture, like the minecraft set.

It really is a pity though. The GBC standard was created in 2005... I wonder how hard it would be to change that standard?

Well, yes the standard could be changed. But that may cause other problems. It could be tough to go to an event, and make sure everyone is using the "same standard".

One idea would be for your new module to combine soccer balls with Zamor Spheres, process both types of ball, and separate them out at the end.

Steve

Well, yes the standard could be changed. But that may cause other problems. It could be tough to go to an event, and make sure everyone is using the "same standard".

One idea would be for your new module to combine soccer balls with Zamor Spheres, process both types of ball, and separate them out at the end.

Steve

Wow, an honor to hear from the creator of the standard!

Making my module process zamor spheres as well would be a nightmare, seeing that it is already processing a stream of orange/white balls!

I am afraid the lack of these balls are going to be a pressing problem in the coming years... Bricklink is even running out of them!

I have heard complaints from organizers stating that they have an ever-present lack of balls.

Something is going to have to be done. I wonder what we could do. It is really tough, considering all of the existing modules, as you said.

I've designed at least two modules that can work with both kinds of balls:

The ROD

5271766658_5c4efb4f3d_z.jpg

5271768132_a90d068eb2_z.jpg

Ant the 1-2-3

cimg1091f.jpg

This is only 1/3 of the complete module, see the video to watch it working:

I would simply get the substitute, inexpensive 14mm balls in bulk, and keep those Great Ball Contraptions (GBCs) running! See this Eurobricks topic about "LEGO GBC Balls vs Round Plastic 14 mm Collar Beads made in China". People are fascinated with the GBC MECHANISM, not the characteristics of the balls themselves. Who cares if the balls are not genuine Lego parts? The CONTRAPTION is the special thing people want to see. I don't understand why one would starve their GBC (from lack of balls) just to stay 100% Lego. One could argue that the balls are "expendible" (just like the old Lego rubber bands that nobody uses anymore). Yes, it would be nice if Lego Cuusoo got the 10,000 votes and TLG started producing the GBC balls again, but I wouldn't let that stop you from enjoying your hobby.

normal_bolas1c.jpgnormal_bolas4.jpgnormal_bolas3.jpg

Yeah, I came with this problem of lack of balls when i first started to build my modules.

The cheapest way to find is that that I proposed time ago (In 3 languages, english at the end)

LEGO GBC Balls vs Plastic Collar Beads

but I think the best way is support it by cuusoo. I have to say that balls are almost the same except that they are finest polished and they may have more tolerancy than LEGO balls. But they worth for such cheap price.

I believe we could be 10000 fans of GBC, builders or just "viewers"

GBC Balls Reedition - バックGBCボール!

Showing our modules in events we'll show to the world hoy fun GBC is!

Thanks for support it!!

Edited by Blastem

Yeah, I came with this problem of lack of balls when i first started to build my modules.

The cheapest way to find is that that I proposed time ago (In 3 languages, english at the end)

LEGO GBC Balls vs Plastic Collar Beads

but I think the best way is support it by cuusoo. I have to say that balls are almost the same except that they are finest polished and they may have more tolerancy than LEGO balls. But they worth for such cheap price.

I believe we could be 10000 fans of GBC, builders or just "viewers"

GBC Balls Reedition - バックGBCボール!

Showing our modules in events we'll show to the world hoy fun GBC is!

Thanks for support it!!

Well, I certainly have more of an open mind about using other ball alternatives. However, I didn't see in your blog any link to where I can buy some. Any link?

I supported the cuusoo project, but as I said before, I have serious doubts about the feasibility of it succeeding, especially when you look at what lego is looking for - set ideas, not parts pack.

A better bet would be a 'GBC starter module' or something like that.

I have not posted any link of stores because of i have found it in ebay, and I don't know about stores policies on Eurobricks... :sceptic:

If you search "Round Smooth Plastic Beads 14mm" you have many stores and types to choose... with many prices, You could have more different if you search "14 mm Round Beads". I pay less than 3€ for 100x of it. :)

Anyway I asked some moulding companies for a large quantity but it only worths when you buy more than 100000 balls... too much for a single user, even for a community ^^

I suppose for about 5 euros you can have a large bunch of it on ebay.

Edited by Blastem

I have not posted any link of stores because of i have found it in ebay, and I don't know about stores policies on Eurobricks... :sceptic:

If you search "Round Smooth Plastic Beads 14mm" you have many stores and types to choose... with many prices, You could have more different if you search "14 mm Round Beads". I pay less than 3€ for 100x of it. :)

Anyway I asked some moulding companies for a large quantity but it only worths when you buy more than 100000 balls... too much for a single user, even for a community ^^

I suppose for about 5 euros you can have a large bunch of it on ebay.

Oh wow, found the exact ones you mentioned in your blog post!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-New-Round-Orange-Smooth-Plastic-Beads-14mm-110678-/220776067969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3367477381#ht_4850wt_1095

Available in many colors! I suppose I shall buy orange and white ;)

Before I buy, I have a few questions about them...

Does the weight difference play any part in their performance?

IMPORTANT: How are the moulding tolerances? i.e. do they all fit within 2 studs and roll nicely?

What about the small hole, does that impact rolling?

I am color sensing, how close is the color of the orange one to the basketball?

Many thanks for all your help! You saved me a large investment, that is for sure.

EDIT: I just saw my profile on the left... Thank you very much, evil moderators XD

That is gold.

Edited by sqiddster

Does the weight difference play any part in their performance?

IMPORTANT: How are the moulding tolerances? i.e. do they all fit within 2 studs and roll nicely?

What about the small hole, does that impact rolling?

I am color sensing, how close is the color of the orange one to the basketball?

Many thanks for all your help! You saved me a large investment, that is for sure.

I have noted some balls have little less diameter than LEGO's (no more than 0.3 mm measured with caliper), but when they move I haven´t noticed any difference. (neither 3 friends of me who has used)

I suppose this is because the moulding quality... these are simple "beads" for aesthetic purposes.

Weight are the same... no so much dfference because they are so small.

The bead orange is darker but shinier... not much but it could interfere with color sensor. I haven't tried yet. The only problem is that hole could be read as "black". The great differente is that LEGO's are mate and China's are "shine" :sadnew:

Anyway, It is always interesting get 30 balls for trying with genuine lego balls your modules in case you go to an event :wink:

So happy save money to GBC fans. Now you have to show your GBC modules to the world! :sweet:

Edited by Blastem

I have noted some balls have little less diameter than LEGO's, but when they move I haven´t noticed any difference. (neither 3 friends of me who has used)

I suppose this is because the moulding quality... these are simple "beads" for aesthetic purposes.

Weight are the same... no so much dfference because they are so small.

The bead orange is brighter... not much but it could interfere with color sensor. I haven't tried yet. The only problem is that hole could be read as "black". The great differente is that LEGO's are mate and China's are "bright" :sadnew:

Anyway, It is always interesting get 30 balls for trying with genuine lego balls your modules in case you go to an event :wink:

So happy save money to GBC fans. Now you have to show your GBC modules to the world! :sweet:

OK, thanks. I suppose I could buy a handful of basketballs just to test the color sensor - at real GBC events I won't have to worry.

Thanks again, there is a great community here!