wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Thanks for the replies! Thor is an excellent suggestion as it adds another colour variety. I'll see if I can pick some up on Bricklink. Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies! Thor is an excellent suggestion as it adds another colour variety. I'll see if I can pick some up on Bricklink. Thanks again!

Also, Thor's face is perfect for a Rohan soldier. I plan on using it for Gamling (Éomer with Thor's head), along with a bunch of random extra bearded fleshie heads for my other four extra Éomers that I'll have to make into an elite Rohan force. If you are looking for more fleshie face suggestions to give variety to your Rohan force, the latest Obi-Wan Ep. III face would look good.

Also, Thor's face is perfect for a Rohan soldier. I plan on using it for Gamling (Éomer with Thor's head), along with a bunch of random extra bearded fleshie heads for my other four extra Éomers that I'll have to make into an elite Rohan force. If you are looking for more fleshie face suggestions to give variety to your Rohan force, the latest Obi-Wan Ep. III face would look good.

Thanks!I intend to use the Elf torso (Minifigures Series 3), legs and cape for Gamling. The outfit looks very much like a rohirric member of Theoden's Royal Guard. Put Thor's head and hair onto, change the colour of the hands and you've got a nice looking Gamling. :)

For Theodred, Luke Skywalker's face and Boromir's hair could work. Theoden's son has a shaven face in the movies and looks quite young (despite his age of 41 at the time of his death). Not sure about the torso, yet.

Thanks!I intend to use the Elf torso (Minifigures Series 3), legs and cape for Gamling. The outfit looks very much like a rohirric member of Theoden's Royal Guard. Put Thor's head and hair onto, change the colour of the hands and you've got a nice looking Gamling. :)

For Theodred, Luke Skywalker's face and Boromir's hair could work. Theoden's son has a shaven face in the movies and looks quite young (despite his age of 41 at the time of his death). Not sure about the torso, yet.

I would say Aragorn's hair would more suit Théodred. His hair is darker and not that orange, from what I can remember. As for a torso, I'm pretty sure you could ask around the Minifig Customization Workshop for someone who could replicate Éomer's armor in dark green as a decal, if you aren't against using decals. Théodred's armor was greenish and looked quite similar to Éomer's.

Hmm, that makes sense... though personally, I think the Uruk-hai would be more accurate in that colour.

It would be much clearer if there was some sort of "birthing pit" included, so we know that's just mud and not actual skin.

If I remeber correctly from the earlier photos, there is a drawer on the right side that pulls out with Lurtz in it to simulate being born from the mud.

Looking at the new drawing, it looks like the drawer is still there. Too bad there isn't a third Mordor Orc hiding in it. :)

Edited by Teh Stud

In regards to the pricing I think you will find even though the AU$ is above the US$ at the mo this doesn't seem to make much difference as historically across the board Lego prices in Australia are 15 to 20% higher than those in the US, even more for a bigger set which can be double or more. Example of this new Starwars X-wing $49 Amazon US, local shop in my town $115. I can take the distance factor as we are a long way from anywhere, but my biggest gripe is on LEGO.com where it is correct me if I am wrong coming from the Lego factory. Do a price check on any large set from the US or EU, UK portal then flick over the AU one and you will see the angst all Lego lovers have down under and in NZ. It isn't just Lego its on iTunes and many other goods. The reply you get is different deals for different countries and the Aussie public have woken up to this fact and are using the internet to buy things from overseas is such large volumes that the local retail stores are feeling the pinch.

So for the prices above shave 15-20% off the smaller sets and at least $100 off Helm's Deep and you will be around the mark.

They charge more because they can. The lack of distributor/retailer competition means every one gets lazy. It's the same reason why in Canada, prices automatically go up/down 30% once you cross the border.

Some people would even go as far as to suggest that corporations charge people outside the USA higher prices to make up for smaller margins in the larger ultra competitive American market but that's just a conspiracy theory and there's no proof!

The price debate has been done to death and is only clouding up the discussion here. Please keep the discussion on topic. Thank you.

Here is a video showing some recent photos:

Go to 2:20 to see the Lord of the Rings pictures. It's nice to see the sets side-by-side. The Uruk with white hand emblem on shield and helmet looks great! I am surprised at the height of the Orc Forge which nearly reaches up the tower of the Hornburg. The two things that are not well proportioned, to my eyes, are Shelob (slightly too large) and the orc catapult (far too large).

Here is a video showing some recent photos:

Go to 2:20 to see the Lord of the Rings pictures. It's nice to see the sets side-by-side. The Uruk with white hand emblem on shield and helmet looks great! I am surprised at the height of the Orc Forge which nearly reaches up the tower of the Hornburg. The two things that are not well proportioned, to my eyes, are Shelob (slightly too large) and the orc catapult (far too large).

Wow, the LOTR sets look great together! I must say, I think that that giant troll looks excellent!

They do look great together, indeed! :)

Edit: I cannot post pictures, so please follow the links if you want to see them. The first shows a model of the move version of the Hornburg while the second is the previously seen LEGO version of "The Battle of Helm's Deep" and "Uruk-hai Army" combined.

Another thing I just noticed is the compatibility between the Uruk-hai Army and Battle of Helm's Deep Set. Of course, the wall pieces fit together, but the way they do is quite interesting.

Looking at the following picture, it appears that the Uruk-hai Army wall piece and it's tower-like outcropping belongs close to the Hornburg while the piece with the drain is further in the middle.

helms-deep-sml2.jpg?w=630

Looking at the LEGO set in the following picture, it is easy to exchange the wall pieces. Simply remove the 2x1 brick (onto of Eomer in the picture) and the wall piece fits into the same spot where the drain wall piece is. Similary, twist the 2x1 piece on the Uruk-hai army wall adjacent to the flag and it will connect perfectly with the drain wall piece after exchanging sites. Very confusing, but I hope it makes sense. :) I'd even consider buying a second Uruk-hai army and have one wall piece left and one right of the drain. On the outside of the drain piece, the 2x1 piece can be moved one stud over and will connect a wall piece on its left side. I'd just need to get rid of the outcropping on the outer, second piece and make it flat, so it will be (from left to right): modified, flat Uruk-hai Army wall, drain wall piece, unmodified Uruk-hai army wall piece.

http://brick.jamescook.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/lego_the_lord_of_the_rings_9474_the_battle_of_helms_deep_set.jpg

Four of the sets are in-stock again at Toysrus.com in the US. I went ahead and ordered 1 of each. I am really excited about these sets. Usually I think about setting a side some money for the summer release sets, but never actually do it. I'm glad this time I did, though the money didn't get me as far as I had wanted due to the mark up at Toys R us. I might wait a while on Helms deep, but I'm still jumping on the Weather top set whenever I see it available.

Four of the sets are in-stock again at Toysrus.com in the US. I went ahead and ordered 1 of each. I am really excited about these sets. Usually I think about setting a side some money for the summer release sets, but never actually do it. I'm glad this time I did, though the money didn't get me as far as I had wanted due to the mark up at Toys R us. I might wait a while on Helms deep, but I'm still jumping on the Weather top set whenever I see it available.

When you get them, could you make reviews? :wub:

A few pages ago some of you guys were debating about some mocs not being at the correct scale. I do believe this one is (and if not, it sure comes very close) Link

And I sure hope the sets hit Holland soon! Can't wait to see them in person!

A few pages ago some of you guys were debating about some mocs not being at the correct scale. I do believe this one is (and if not, it sure comes very close) Link

That is ... impressive. *oh2*

Umm...I just ordered Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks from TRU. Does anyone know if they were pre-order or not? Cuz if they are pre order im gonna cancel the order. and wait till june for lower prices.

Umm...I just ordered Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks from TRU. Does anyone know if they were pre-order or not? Cuz if they are pre order im gonna cancel the order. and wait till june for lower prices.

It says on the site that the sets are in stock for shipping and in stores, so yeah, you should be getting them soon. If I didn't live in Canada, I would order these sets in a heartbeat, but I just can't justify the shipping fees.

Looking at the images again I just realized that Legolas and Haldir have the newer, bigger longbow (the one that came with the Elf CMF) while the Rohan soldier in the Uruk-hai Army set only comes with the old, smaller bow.. Only elves get the longbows? I thought LEGO were replacing the old bow with the newer longbow, but I guess not.

So. Tempted. To. Order. Shelob. Must. Resist.

I think I'm just going to wait. :cry_sad:

Seriously, please review the sets once you get them. :sweet:

It was me who was saying none of them have been minifig scale... was true untill yesterday when that was uploaded!

My fiancé was very disappointed none of the female characters are available in sets. While I understand that none of the scenes depicted have them, Helms Deep could have featured Éowyn.

While I understand that none of the scenes depicted have them, Helms Deep could have featured Éowyn.

It wouldn't've made much sense, she wasn't fighting at all.

I'm disappointed by the absence of Eowyn but agree that there would be other, more fitting figures, to add to Helm's Deep. I'm sure we'll see Eowyn with the next wave (2013). I hope for Edoras or the battle of the Witch King with Eowyn, King Theoden and Merry.

At least Eowyn has a couple options in what sets she can appear in such as Edoras, Pellennor Fields, Dunharrow, the Glitterring Caves or the warg ambush.

Arwen and Galadriel are much more limited.

At least Eowyn has a couple options in what sets she can appear in such as Edoras, Pellennor Fields, Dunharrow, the Glitterring Caves or the warg ambush.

Arwen and Galadriel are much more limited.

Arwen will be in the Rivendell set I know we'll get.