wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I have to agree with those championing Weathertop. One of my favorite parts of the book, the movie, and a great set. It doesn't hurt that I picked up extra Nazgul in an incredible LEGO store grab bag find.

The Mines of Moria, on the other hand, was my least favorite set. First, it was one of my least favorite parts of the movie trilogy, because the Cave Troll CGI didn't suspend my disbelief, it just looks too fake. I compare it to the Rancor in Return of the Jedi, which decades earlier seemed much more realistic... so to me it was a failure and I hope that some day Peter Jackson redoes the CGI for that part of the Fellowship film.

As for the set... it's a bunch of disconnected pieces, with no feeling of being inside a mountain, and worse it is 34 studs long so it can't fit on a standard baseplate even if you wanted to put it on one. The only reason I picked it up was because I got it at an incredible deal (37% off) and because I wanted the (thus far) exclusive minifigs in the set. I must admit that I had fun building it, but overall I don't like the design, while I love Weathertop.

I guess the lesson is - to each their own.

I can’t wait to get the Elrond hairpiece, so I can finally give Legolas the proper haircolor. :wink:

Proper? I don't recall his hair being mentioned as dark in the books, and he was blonde in the films... :sceptic:

A Dr. Doom fig is coming out next year. He has a dark green cape and hood, which would be way more fitting than black.

Sure, but I'd rather not wait till next year :tongue: Black is the best option atm, and and I'd rather see the hood and cape in same color.

Proper? I don't recall his hair being mentioned as dark in the books, and he was blonde in the films... :sceptic:

In the books he did have darker hair. I, having read the books many years after the films were released, can only imagine the elves of Imladris having darker hair, while the elves of Lorien and Mirkwood have lighter hair.

In the books he did have darker hair.

Or, to be exact, in the books his hair colour isn't explicitly stated, but the only mention can be taken to suggest dark hair: "Frodo looked up at the Elf standing tall above him, as he gazed into the night, seeking a mark to shoot at. His head was dark, crowned with sharp white stars that glittered in the black pools of the sky behind." Most of Legolas' kindred, Sindar, are said to be dark-haired. Then again even a blonde's head would look rather dark in the night, and we know from a mention in The Hobbit that his father had golden hair (of his mother we don't know anything, she may not have been of Sindarin blood)... So all in all, one can imagine Legolas' hair to be dark or fair according to his liking. To me Legolas has always been dark-haired (and I think Orlando Bloom would have looked considerably better with dark hair).

Edited by Haltiamieli

Or, to be exact, in the books his hair colour isn't explicitly stated, but the only mention can be taken to suggest dark hair: "Frodo looked up at the Elf standing tall above him, as he gazed into the night, seeking a mark to shoot at. His head was dark, crowned with sharp white stars that glittered in the black pools of the sky behind." Most of Legolas' kindred, Sindar, are said to be dark-haired. Then again even a blonde's head would look rather dark in the night, and we know from a mention in The Hobbit that his father had golden hair (of his mother we don't know anything, she may not have been of Sindarin blood)... So all in all, one can imagine Legolas' hair to be dark or fair according to his liking. To me Legolas has always been dark-haired (and I think Orlando Bloom would have looked considerably better with dark hair).

This makes me lol - it would be cool to see a book fan like you assemble and photograph a "Book-Canon" Fellowship (different hair colors, weapon styles, etc.)

I hear what you're saying about Weathertop, Darth Caedus, but I have to say I disagree. I think AoW is a great-looking set that just happens to be a bit overpriced. The minifig selection could have been better for that price, but the set is very recognizable as Weathertop, and the interior chamber is a great bonus for fans of the books. Very useful pieces and two fine-looking new Nazgul horses round it off as a set I definitely want, even more than Helm's Deep - which is great value but still too hefty a price tag for me.

I picked up AoW for $35 from B&N with that huge members discount back when, and I have to say the set is extremely nice at that price :classic: I would not pay $60 for it though, that is just a little too high for what I think it is worth.

As for the set... it's a bunch of disconnected pieces, with no feeling of being inside a mountain, and worse it is 34 studs long so it can't fit on a standard baseplate even if you wanted to put it on one. The only reason I picked it up was because I got it at an incredible deal (37% off) and because I wanted the (thus far) exclusive minifigs in the set. I must admit that I had fun building it, but overall I don't like the design, while I love Weathertop.

I bought a 48 x 48 gray baseplate. It looks MUCH better on it, giving it much more of a cave look. All I need now is a bunch of cheap BURPs off bricklink.

I hear what you're saying about Weathertop, Darth Caedus, but I have to say I disagree. I think AoW is a great-looking set that just happens to be a bit overpriced. The minifig selection could have been better for that price, but the set is very recognizable as Weathertop, and the interior chamber is a great bonus for fans of the books. Very useful pieces and two fine-looking new Nazgul horses round it off as a set I definitely want, even more than Helm's Deep - which is great value but still too hefty a price tag for me.

Just watch eBay and Amazon - the latter discounted HD to 97 bucks the other day, and it could drop there again. I got mine on the former, a random $99 buy-it-now that just had a bashed up box. And people are saying some Walmarts have it for $84.

And people are saying some Walmarts have it for $84.

Wow, I haven't seen a single LOTR set at either of the closest Wal-Marts, and other places have them on discount already?

Wow, I haven't seen a single LOTR set at either of the closest Wal-Marts, and other places have them on discount already?

They have them at mine, but for MSRP. The theory is it's some kind of glitch or lumping in with the other LEGO clearances Walmart has going - 30% off all POTC, for instance.

Just finished building 9470 Shelob Attacks. And, while people showed praise for Shelob, I just didn't believe it(after building Aragog from last year :wacko:). She really is a great looking spider, and her webbing is genius! Well done TLG, well done.

Just got Helms Deep and Mines of Moria today. Bought them on Amazon. Can't wait to build them, but I guess I have only time for one set today and the other has to wait for next week.

And: I can't wait to get the other sets.

I'm sure the LOTR sets should appear in Wal-mart soon, but I guess it just varies between different stores. :wink:

Just a question: wouldn't it be better to have a seperate lotr sub forum? So people like who don't care for lotr would not need to filter the historic themes out. Well thinking of it, since the lotr moc's flooded the historic themes forum I actually don't really follow it anymore, even though it used to be my favorite one.

Just a question: wouldn't it be better to have a seperate lotr sub forum? So people like who don't care for lotr would not need to filter the historic themes out. Well thinking of it, since the lotr moc's flooded the historic themes forum I actually don't really follow it anymore, even though it used to be my favorite one.

I disagree.

There has been Lego LOTR creations for more than a decade, and they've always been posted on Castle related forums (this is true for Lugnet.com as well). Regardless of the existence of an official Lego theme. If the admins created a separate forum should they have to move all of those old LOTR topics from the 2000s as well?

The Lego Castle theme, over the years and at least since 1992, has had sets with, castles, knights, siege engines, lots of medieval weapons&armor, wizards, dragons, dwarves, orcs, trolls. So do LOTR/The Hobbit. If it was up to me I'd rename the forum simply "Castle/Sword & Sorcery" and dump the western, vikings or bronze age stuff in another historical forum.

Edited by SheepEater

An alternate solution would be to somehow separate fantasy from reality. I just find it confusing that I have to search for real world models in the same forum were all the fantasy stuff is. I named lotr because it's now trendy and 90% seems to be from this theme.

There is too big of a gap between a Roman Legionnaire and Frodo Baggins.

I'm sure the mods have discussed it and made what they think is the best decision, I like it here personally.

I ordered Helm's Deep eight days ago and it's still not here! GAH! I hate waiting on the mail. :hmpf_bad:

An alternate solution would be to somehow separate fantasy from reality.

BTW, I only started liking Castle BECAUSE of Lotr - prior to that I was only into Technic/City/Trains.

Your solution might not please classic castle fans who've been following the theme for decades, to have their theme split into 2 forums (So the realistic medieval Kingdoms would be on a different forum than the fantasy era Castle 2007-2009.)

Well yeah, I really shouldn't force this. Since I am for sure the minority I just either skip the forum completely or try to filter out the few things I care for out of 1000 lotr posts.

f.e.: I almost missed Roman Temple because it got lost between the hobbits.

Enough from me now :classic:

Well yeah, I really shouldn't force this. Since I am for sure the minority I just either skip the forum completely or try to filter out the few things I care for out of 1000 lotr posts.

f.e.: I almost missed Roman Temple because it got lost between the hobbits.

Enough from me now :classic:

Considering that MOC was posted near the end of January, approximately four months before the LoTR sets came out, your example is a major fail. Just sayin'...

Edited by Edmond Dantes

I bought a 48 x 48 gray baseplate. It looks MUCH better on it, giving it much more of a cave look. All I need now is a bunch of cheap BURPs off bricklink.

What are BURPs?

What are BURPs?

Big Ugly Rock Piece (according to Google, anyway) :)