Steverd

First Bulk Buy - 6211, 45lbs and

Just got my first bulk buy.

$150 (US) for 43 pounds.

Found Lego 6211 Book 1 and Book 2.

I'm hoping the pieces for it are in this container.

Plus over 65 minifigures. WAIT did I just see a SPIDERMAN in there?

Not too smelly, but definitely a smell of fabreeze.

I'm actually looking forwards to sorting. As a new collector I need

to develop a storage/sorting system. How about about 20 Rubbermaid/sterilite containers?

Local Walmart has them for $1.00 each. I'm sure I am under estimating what I need.

Thoughts please!

lego-1.jpg

lego-2.jpg

lego-3.jpg

Wow, it would be like Christmas going through that big tub (and from the photos, it looks like it is in good condition). Oh my goodness all the treasures it would be hiding.

Have fun sorting it.

I'm actually looking forwards to sorting. As a new collector I need

to develop a storage/sorting system. How about about 20 Rubbermaid/sterilite containers?

Local Walmart has them for $1.00 each. I'm sure I am under estimating what I need.

Thoughts please!

So I just bought 20 of the 6 quart plastic boxes and order a Stack-On DS-39 39 Drawer Storage Cabinet from Amazon to see how they work.

It seems like I saw many people using those on the storage thread here.

I imagine I would need a few more of these also, but just ordered one to see how big they truly are.

Steve

What a great looking bulk lot. At a glance I see some figs from my "want" list.

I don't like the shoebox-style $1 tubs. I like the Sterilite locking/stacking tubs in different sizes. Be sure to check out the storage thread as it has a lot of useful ideas and opinions on sorting and storage.

So I just bought 20 of the 6 quart plastic boxes and order a Stack-On DS-39 39 Drawer Storage Cabinet from Amazon to see how they work.

It seems like I saw many people using those on the storage thread here.

I imagine I would need a few more of these also, but just ordered one to see how big they truly are.

Steve

How to sort this lot really depends on how serious you are about buying more bulk lots in the future. The sorting stuff you've got is probably adequate for the lot you bought, but will be inadequate if you plan to buy more lots or buy lots on a regular basis. I have been buying bulk lots and selling individual sets mad fom those lots for almost 6 years, and can say from experience, it would be a lot easier to include excess storage/sorting capacity where you are now than it is to expand later. I started off with about what you've described buying (less the stack on drawer cabinet) and, in the intervening years, have expanded to where now I have 16 Akro-Mils drawer cabinets (total of around 350 drawers), 16 large Plano tackle boxes, 20 small Plano tackle boxes, 16 x-large Plano tackle boxes, 35 12"x7" plastic bins, and 40 6"x18" cardboard bins. I'm not saying that you need to buy that much storage, but there is no way I ever thought when I was starting out that I would end up with such a large amount of storage and it would have paid to plan ahead.

Holly Canolies! That is awesome! Please post a picture of your new drawer and storage setup if you can. I looked up the drawer on Amazon it looks like one of those hardware nuts and bolts drawers. I'll have to go back and reference the storage threads for a complete solutions.

I bought these Sterelite Storage Drawers from target. They are stackable & come in a few colors. Single 3 drawer units sell at the store for about $12 US, or 6 online for $50 US. I made labels in photoshop for them. But my niece had a sleep over with her friend and they decided to make a bed sheet tent and the drawers got knocked down, and everything got shoved back in at random. So I need to resort everything. I don't know if this will be the longterm solution of choice, to just keep buying these drawers, but it's all I can afford right now. When I get some time I'll do my research on the popular topic of Lego sorting.

Here's a pic of our start at Lego sorting.

LegoStorageSteriliteDrawer.jpg

(IF anyone wants a copy of the Lables I made in Photoshop here's a link. I spent way too much time making them. I can also provide the Photoshop file if you want to make your own or modify them. I spent hours on it. Complete with guide lines, organized files in folders, etc.

THANKS - Love your labels, do you have more?

Steverd

(IF anyone wants a copy of the Lables I made in Photoshop here's a link. I spent way too much time making them. I can also provide the Photoshop file if you want to make your own or modify them. I spent hours on it. Complete with guide lines, organized files in folders, etc.

Heh, in my experience , the presence of a set's instructions in the bulk make it less likely you will find the set in it.

I wouldn't worry though, the minifigs alone justify the price. I myself would be more excited about the exo-force robots than spidey though.

Heh, in my experience , the presence of a set's instructions in the bulk make it less likely you will find the set in it.

I wouldn't worry though, the minifigs alone justify the price. I myself would be more excited about the exo-force robots than spidey though.

Arghh Really?, Any theories of why that would be?

So many strange parts, I have so much to learn.

Steve