lorax

Just some city buildings I have built

Hi,

Here are a couple of buildings that I have built for a street scene. (Originally for a lego train display for the BLTG group).

6271574412_58d1a7f00e.jpg

Lego Street by tikitikitembo, on Flickr

I have just done a rebuild of my blue and tan building, but I am still not happy with it. I can't put my finger on what I dislike about it though (it is my third rebuild). So I would love some feedback on this building (what could make it better).

6271615718_844da3cf74.jpg

rebuild by tikitikitembo, on Flickr

Two of the buildings are furnished inside, including the above building (shown here in an earlier version of this building). The fireplace lights up, as does the bottom level of the building.

5983003543_f2a6044fd0.jpg

Lego MOC - pet store living area 2 by tikitikitembo, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. :sweet:

Edit to add: Someone was glad when I finished taking photos so she could play :laugh:

6271256889_394ab78190.jpg

Mama build, Abi play by tikitikitembo, on Flickr

Edited by lorax

Wonderful buildings 'lorax' and that last photo is so cute....thank you for sharing, is your little girl a chip of the old block or brick as the case maybe eh ? :sweet:

As a parent myself I love it when my son says to me 'Dad, what have you made me this time ?' :sweet:

I can't see a problem with your blue and tan structure, Brick On anyway 'lorax' ! :classic:

Wonderful buildings 'lorax' and that last photo is so cute....thank you for sharing, is your little girl a chip of the old block or brick as the case maybe eh ? :sweet:

As a parent myself I love it when my son says to me 'Dad, what have you made me this time ?' :sweet:

I can't see a problem with your blue and tan structure, Brick On anyway 'lorax' ! :classic:

Thanks Lightning Tiger. My daughter is crazy about Lego (I think she got the crazy from me :laugh:

These are all quite nice, and I think make a great street when put together. Despite using a lot of bright colors, I don't think that overall composition is too much - you've blended in a fair amount of the more neutral colors to even things out.

While the buildings themselves are very nice, what really stands out to me is the use of colours. The red and blue works wonderfully well together, and I agree with LT that there's nothing obviously wrong with your tan and blue building. But I know the feeling that there's something wrong with it, you just can't decide on what it is - it's very annoying :) normally, in my case, it's the roof that's wrong. Maybe that's it? :)

They all look nice! I like the roof on the corner building especially.

As for the tan house, I think the middle story/floor looks a bit plain... even something small like window flower boxes would spice it up a bit! This is something I struggle with too-- I don't like the look of something, but not sure why. Sometimes you just get tired of fiddling with them.

Thank you all for the feedback. Slovakiasteph, I agree, I think it might be the middle level, flower boxes sounds like a really good idea to break it up a little.

I really like colour, but I don't always know how to make them work well together.

I am thinking of doing a substantial rebuild, keeping the other buildings in mind (so have some consistent street frontage and maybe make the roofs work a little better beside each other.

Very good buildings, the colours of these fit in with one another very well. :thumbup:

For the tan house, you should include a small, thin line of blue (as in 1 plate thick) across the floor, similar to the dark tan line through the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Grand Emmporium, #10211.

Hi lorax

I struggle with buildings myself, but for what it's worth I'll leave my suggestion.

I think the blue and tan building has too much going on, and the embellishments compete with each other. I'm inclined to think that if the third story was not set back, and styled more like the second it might look a bit more consistent. Perhaps a small balcony jutting out from the door, if you wanted more interest than a repeat of the second.

The blue ground floor works well, as a contrast to the rest of the building.