crossmr

OM3302 Anti-air and Humvee - Oxford Review

Name: OM3302

Theme: Military

Pieces: 494

Price: 33600 won ($28.49 USD)

Minifigs: 8

Time: About 1.5 hours

This is the second set in Oxford's 4 new military sets. This is an anti-air vehicle and humvee combined. It's another fantastic set, and it really shows Oxford improving their sets, despite already making some great military sets.

Box

imgp2413f.jpg

The Box is high quality like all Oxford boxes. A tray inside and lots of images on the front and back showing off the set. The back all the various moving parts on the set.

Instructions

Clear as usual, this one is not made like other books. Normally you'd turn the book sideways to read the instructions but this one has them oriented like a normal book.

Pieces

Many, even for the price. This is bigger than the helicopter in turns of count, but the helicopter had a lot of large blocks to make up the tail section. A few good things in this. Nice wheels and tracks. Big windshield. Lots of smooth flats, several rotating pieces and 4 doors. A good hinge, but we'll get to that. I didn't grab a pic, but the time I got them debagged, they were everywhere.

Minifigs

8 in this one, I'm hoping they'll make something even more awesome that'll have 10 in it like their big NCM0872 set with the 5 vehicles in it.

They have the standard new weapons and old weapons, 2 sprues of new weapons, plus tool sprues. Lots of accessories in this. In fact more than you could actually put on them, so that's pretty cool. 5 helmets, 2 pilot helmets, 1 beret in this pack. Lots of great new faces including 1 female. She's the humvee driver.

Construction

Nothing jumps out at me at being overly difficult or unusual. Lots of structural reinforcement in the tank, so it's very solid. I found it easy to roll through this build. The pieces seemed to be sorted with some kind of logic, I can't explain it, but I had a pretty easy time of laying my hands on the pieces while I was building.

imgp2414.jpg

imgp2415l.jpg

imgp2416.jpg

imgp2420.jpg

imgp2421j.jpg

imgp2422f.jpg

Finished models

Both of these are pretty great. The Humvee is a good size that scales well with other things. It also has a tow joint. What's it for? Well it just happens to fit the gun from the Helicopter set. Kind of a strange way to set it up but if you get both you get increased playability here. The anti-aircraft has the top built so that you can easily pop it off to get at the troop transport. It is not loose at all though. it feel solid and it won't just pop off while you're playing with it. The humvee can hold up to 5 people at once, including some gear stowed in the back, the AA/troop transport can fit 3 full geared people (with backpacks) and 2 drivers for 5 as well.

imgp2417t.jpg

imgp2418k.jpg

imgp2419i.jpg

imgp2423.jpg

imgp2424e.jpg

imgp2425b.jpg

imgp2426.jpg

imgp2427p.jpg

imgp2428p.jpg

imgp2429.jpg

imgp2430r.jpg

imgp2431.jpg

imgp2432d.jpg

imgp2434.jpg

imgp2435i.jpg

imgp2436r.jpg

imgp2437s.jpg

imgp2438i.jpg

imgp2439p.jpg

imgp2440.jpg

The last one is just to provide some scale. Humvee falls between the jeep and tank, the AA is similar sized to to the tank, but a little taller.

Conclusion

Another great set.

Minifigs - 10/10 the new figures are great. Nice faces, lots of accessories, and 8 for this low low price.

Parts - 9/10 Good Oxford quality, nothing missing, pieces solid, good clutch. -1 for not including the trailer joint in the box

Playability - 7/10 It's an AA and a Humvee, the two don't exactly compliment each other fully, but they do join an existing military theme very well in general. There are a lot of options in terms of loading things up, so it's still very good.

Design - 8/10 I'm not crazy about the turret on the AA. It's good, but I feel it could be just a tad better. I've not yet checked to see which real life vehicle it is based on.

Price - 9/10 Nearly 500 pieces, 8 minifigures for that price? It's hard to do better.

Total - 43/50 You probably won't be disappointed with this, but given the choice, I'd probably pick the chopper over this one.

Need more pictures/info, just ask~

Edited by crossmr

Again, these are really well designed sets, and I might pick one up if I come across any. BTW, how do you get these for so cheap? I can only find these on ebay for very high prices.

Thanks 'crossmr' for this review and I must say, beats Mega Bloks any day ! :laugh:

Quite impressive designs, well thought out and looks high quality.....hence my statement about MB ! :wink:

Brick On Review On 'crossmr' ! :wink:

That looks great! I'd like to get some of these. :classic:

EDIT: I can't seem to find where I can buy these.

Edited by Nightshroud99

Again, these are really well designed sets, and I might pick one up if I come across any. BTW, how do you get these for so cheap? I can only find these on ebay for very high prices.

I live in Korea. The prices you see are what people actually pay in-country for this. So you can see how much the Ebay guy is ripping people off. I've got someone testing a way to buy them directly from Korea right now, you'll pay these prices, plus a small international shipping fee. If it works fine, I'll post details on how to buy them directly.

I live in Korea. The prices you see are what people actually pay in-country for this. So you can see how much the Ebay guy is ripping people off. I've got someone testing a way to buy them directly from Korea right now, you'll pay these prices, plus a small international shipping fee. If it works fine, I'll post details on how to buy them directly.

That is awesome, thanks for that.

Thes Humvee in this set looks great, not really a fan of tanks, so I can't comment on that one. The new faces ane weapons look really good too.

Thanks for the review crossmr

Thanks for this review, well done. I haven't heard of Oxford before and now I have and since I'm into military models this is good news.

I guess the AA tank is a Bradley light tank...

Would you know the specific variant designation?

In the last line of models, they wrote on the back of the box what real life vehicle it was modelled after, but this time they haven't done that. . I assumed it was an AA tank due to the radar and things on it.

It vaguely reminds me of the Tunguska M1, or PGZ95 but with troop transport

Edited by crossmr

Would you know the specific variant designation?

In the last line of models, they wrote on the back of the box what real life vehicle it was modelled after, but this time they haven't done that. . I assumed it was an AA tank due to the radar and things on it.

It vaguely reminds me of the Tunguska M1, or PGZ95 but with troop transport

To me, it's based on an M2 Bradley Light tank, but doesn't fit any existing variation of it. The M2 is a light tank with troops transport capability and was the replacement to the old an trustable M113 (which did have an AA variant. The chasis resembles that of the M2 ( in proportion and in having a back latch for troops to get out, though in the Bradley it opens downwards and not sideways), but the turret doesn't fit at all with it (the M2 never had an AA variation. Also, after seign pics of the PGZ95 it could also be one of those, but they seem to have a lower profile... Most probably it's just a mix of all of them!!!!

To me, it's based on an M2 Bradley Light tank, but doesn't fit any existing variation of it. The M2 is a light tank with troops transport capability and was the replacement to the old an trustable M113 (which did have an AA variant. The chasis resembles that of the M2 ( in proportion and in having a back latch for troops to get out, though in the Bradley it opens downwards and not sideways), but the turret doesn't fit at all with it (the M2 never had an AA variation. Also, after seign pics of the PGZ95 it could also be one of those, but they seem to have a lower profile... Most probably it's just a mix of all of them!!!!

I assume it is a real tank. I'm not a tank expert, but to date, Oxford has been basing all their sets on real vehicles, ones used by the Korean military, though they may have increased the profile to add the infantry transport and increase playability.

Ah, I think it's a K30 Biho.

Yup, I'm checking some pictures on google. it's got a back door on it:

http://images.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=707&q=K30+Biho&gbv=2&oq=K30+Biho&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=468l468l0l776l1l1l0l0l0l0l209l209l2-1l1l0

Edited by crossmr

So good! I wish LEGO made this.

Crossmr, is Oxford's quality standard?

Their quality is right around the top. Good clutch, good plastic. I haven't had any sets come apart unusually, or any pieces break. It feels solid, no smell.

The colour doesn't seem to fade either, and of all the sets I've purchases, I haven't noticed any inconsistency across them. If you want to buy something that isn't lego, I'd recommend this. I'm quite happy with all my purchases, and they do work very well with real lego. Hopefully after I get my new apartment in a month or so, there will be some more room, so I'll try and pick up a little Lego to go with it.

The only thing I wish oxford did was sell some bulk pieces. I'd like to get some bigger bricks to do some MOC bases and things, but the only choices I have are to buy vehicle sets and use those pieces. But most vehicles don't have a lot of of big bricks in them, just a lot of flats and things as they're built up.

The tail section of the chopper has a decent amount of big bricks in though. The new chopper + the new howitzer tank (I'll put up the review for that today) might give you enough pieces to do a nice MOC outpost or something like that. I should try contacting them to see if there is anyway I could order some bulk bricks in that colour.

For an idea of my perspective this is my Oxford military collection:

imgp2495w.th.jpg

Edited by crossmr

Nice review, and a really decent set... Looks like there is finally a clone brand that can just about match LEGO quality (well, since the demise of Tyco Bricks). My only beef with this set would have been that the mobile AA could use "more dakka", but since it's based on a real vehicle (and looks just like the original, I might add), its current "dakka" must be sufficient (although if I got this set, I might have to replace the current twin guns with a vulcan cannon or twin miniguns :D).

The figures look pretty decent for a clone brand, too, although I'm not a huge fan of the legs... It looks like you might be able to mod the torsos to take LEGO legs, though, and I may have to see about swiping their idea for an 8-wide Humvee. ;)

I do really like the roof-mounted TOW and the other weapons. Thanks for the review (I've been going through your other reviews, and may have to see about ordering some of their castle sets... I definitely could use some Korean stuff, but I'll probably do some mix and matching with Brick TW accessories.)

there's a vendor on ebay that is selling oxford at reasonable prices..this very set is available with shipping to u.s. for around $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA-Korea-Littlejupiter-Oxford-OM3302-Military-Building-Toys-Blocks-Bricks-/330626361050

while other vendors are still selling the same thing for around $80 or more

korean vendors are now starting to emerge with great prices on sets and shipping..watch this vendor and other threads about picking up oxford stuff affordably. as an oxford-zombie that was willing to pay ridiculous prices for just about any set, this is a great day.

..jg

So I checked out my Oxford OM3302 set and box and couldn't come up with the type of vehicle, which, isn't too surprising since I can't read Korean. None the less, I came up with this:k-30.jpg

The caption reads thus: "K-30, called "BIHO system", self-propelled 30 mm twin-gun system"

Another picture:k30_biho_l1.jpg

It's caption: "Doosan K-30 Biho twin 30mm self-propelled anti-aircraft gun"

So I checked out my Oxford OM3302 set and box and couldn't come up with the type of vehicle, which, isn't too surprising since I can't read Korean. None the less, I came up with this:

The caption reads thus: "K-30, called "BIHO system", self-propelled 30 mm twin-gun system"

Another picture:

It's caption: "Doosan K-30 Biho twin 30mm self-propelled anti-aircraft gun"

Yes, you're right. I posted it in another thread, and forgot to re-post it here for some reason. The box wouldn't help you because unlike previous series Oxford didn't list the actual real vehicle on the back of the box.