Hey all,

I have no experience with NXT stuff, and a friend of a friend asked some questions about NXT and PF compatibility. I thought I would ask the pros on this site.

If I want to control a NXT with a PF remote, then I want to use the MINDSTORMS® NXT IR Receiver , correct?

If I want to control a PF motor with a NXT, then I want to use the Infrared Link Sensor, as well as a PF receiver, correct?

So, I guess the main question I have is this: can the Infrared Link Sensor receive signals from a PF controller? I get the impression that it is just a transmitter, but I'm not sure. Also, is the NXT IR Receiver made by HiTechnic as well?

Thanks!

Daniel

On the HiTechnic website, there is a "New IR RC Kart Sample Model" in which "The IR RC Kart uses a IR Receiver Sensor to make it controllable with a LEGO Power Functions remote." This is reiterated at the top of this HiTechnic webpage. The IR RC Kart uses the NXT motors.

IRRCKartAni.gif

If you want to control a Power Functions motor with an NXT, you need an 8528 "Converter Cables for LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT" connected to an 8886 "LEGO® Power Functions Extension Wire". One end of the 8528 Converter Cable plugs into the NXT brick; the other end connects to the FLAT end of the 8886 PF Extension Wire. Finally, the other end of the 8886 PF Extension Wire connects onto your PF motor. :classic:

8528-0000-XX-12-1.jpg8886-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

OR... you can use a PF mate from mindsensors, to control up to 8 PF motors (using 4 IR receivers), using only one sensor port

PFMater3w300.jpg

Thank you!

That one has a more reasonable price than "Infrared Link Sensor" on bricklink (with minimum order and shipping costs making it quite expensive).

I somehow have gotten the impression that the "Infrared Link Sensor" can only control 3 channels. Or was it something with the software maybe? I will be using Lejos, not lego standard software. If that is true (and I really don't know) it means that this PFmate is even better.

Does anyone know the range of the Mindsensors PFMate? Their website's FAQ mentions that it can be up to 75 cms, but I would prefer to get some real-world feedback on this number before making a purchase.

I just bought the HiTechnics model and I am quite disappointed by the IR range (or lack thereof), considering that they are promoting the sensor as being able to be used with RC and PF train sets.