Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

Emerald Night Tender Problem?

OK, I have put together my Emerald Night and Power Functions. It is all fine and goes along nicely, no problems with wheels locking or anything. However I am having a problem with the tender becoming derailed on the curve into the points.

It is OK on normal curves, straights even that fleixi stuff. It goes through the straight of the point, it will turn from straight and branch off of the points OK. But when it is coming from the branch of the point back onto the main through track it becomes derailed. Not the engine just the tender.

I've taken it apart and checked it but to be honest there is nothing really wrong that I can see. I was wondering if it is because the tender is quite a bit thinner than the engine and maybe I should try bulking it out to seven studs wide or something. Has anyone else encountered this problem only I could not find any mention of it? I think the only thing I have different is that I am using a normal battery box rather than the rechargable one, but I assume they are the same size and roughly the same mass?

Any advice appreciated.

I have that problem when the PF cable doesn't have enough slack or gets caught on a minifig in the cab. Make sure the cable isn't twisted or stuck on anything. Also try going over the problem area at very low speed and watching exactly what's happening.

Edited by TheBrickster
Unnecessary quote of entire topic

A few people have noted that the newer style magnets sometimes don't hold so well, possibly because the internal magnet hasn't quite spun into the right position. Sometimes just giving them a strong tap helps, otherwise just try swapping the magnet piece on the tender with one from the carriage and see if that helps.

I had the same problem and as others have pointed out it was the cable. I had tried to make the cable as neat and unobtrusive as possible but the result was it didn't have enough give

OK, I have put together my Emerald Night and Power Functions. It is all fine and goes along nicely, no problems with wheels locking or anything. However I am having a problem with the tender becoming derailed on the curve into the points.

Is the underside of the tender built correctly? There is a piece between the two trucks, and there is just enough room for the trucks to turn. Check if it is built right so that the trucks can turn enough.

(it is more likely that the cable is the problem though).

I have that problem when the PF cable doesn't have enough slack or gets caught on a minifig in the cab. Make sure the cable isn't twisted or stuck on anything. Also try going over the problem area at very low speed and watching exactly what's happening.

I've never had an issue but it seems that soc399's advice would be the solution. I have mine set up so that there is plenty of slack between the loco and tender. There really isn't a great way to hide the cable.