F0NIX

WIP: Brick building

This is a Work in Progress.

It is a model after a real building in my home town Tromsø. It is a brick building built of LEGO bricks (duh) :)

It started a few years back after building Ishavskatedralen and Polaria (two iconic and very well known buildings in my town). I then wanted a more complex building to make a model of and selected an old cinema Verdensteateret. After that I was looking around in my town for new inspirations or building to make models after. After some photographing and looking around I desided to build two residenc building in Kirkegårdsvegen. Both these and Verdensteateret is drawn and built by the same arcitects. Verdensteateret was built in 1915, not sure exactly when these other building was created but it was a few years after.

I have already built Kirkegårdsvegen 14 and this is a thread about the last creation, Kirkegårdsvegen 16.

Have now finished about 99% of the facades. Not happy about how the roof came out, have to redo that.

I'm waiting for some white 1x1 plates for the windows and some jumper plates so the windows can be half into the walls. The doors should be white not black.

And ofcourse I have to build the ground floor and some gardens and lawn outside.

I may also rebuild the house so that it is 2 studs longer and making the roof above the curved veranda on the east facade not so steep. It should probably be more like the other.

6039401492_f7194b707f_m.jpg 6038851853_bff7de3545_m.jpg 6038852251_99640585fe_m.jpg 6039402568_fe63253f5c_m.jpg

You find more pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/f0nix/sets/72157627108342525/with/6031670654/

Hope you like it.

And please comment and give me some hints and tips on how to do the roof better (and no, I do not want to make it out of slope bricks) or other improvement you see needs to be done.

Edited by F0NIX

OMG!! initially i thought it was one of those miniature buildings that you can buy in souvenir shops!

Your MOC is so nice, it looks unreal! :thumbup:

I've been eyeing the jugend facades in my home town

and I like the way the arched window with assymetrical

frames look in lego.

PS. Can't you just look at some starwar sets for roof/wing parts.

I've been eyeing the jugend facades in my home town

and I like the way the arched window with assymetrical

frames look in lego.

PS. Can't you just look at some starwar sets for roof/wing parts.

Well, I have tried every combination of wings I have and I can't find any that have the correct angle. The closest is 45 degree.

But I figure that if I first make the main roof and then let the smaller parts go into the main roof. It will probably look better on the outside. And THEN i can use the wings on the inside to make a nicer transition.

Incredible build, and extremely faithful to the source material!

I wish I had some good advice for the roof, but I don't. :sad: I do agree that it would look best to build out the larger section of the roof and let everything else bump into it. Can't wait to see the final!

Wow! What a very yummy looking building! :classic:

You've treated this building and style incredibly well; one of the most realistic MOCs I've seen of this type. This style of architecture (in this example and others I've seen) seems like a very transitional style; very modern but also very traditional, and very pleasing.

I particularly like the way you did the bonnet/jerkinhead gables. What really caught my eye at first was the smaller cross gable with the larger window with smaller mullions around it (a staircase light, perhaps?). The eyebrow and gothic gables are also very well done and caught my eye right away.

You've done a stunning job translating this building to Lego; well done. :classic::thumbup:

Edited by Norrington

I very much like the combination of colours of the brickwork. Instantly recognisable as a brick and mortar building.

Thanx for all the comments!

I can also add that I used some time to think through this project in my head and planned the main features of the building: windows, the stripes and the brickwork. I was looking carfully on the photos I have taken of the real building to see the details. And my main focus is not the scale but the overall proportions of the model, and then the scale had to be whatever the proportions and main features demanded. That is why this building is slightly larger in scale than the Kirkegårdsvegen 14 building I built before this.

Next step was to find the correct mixture of color for the brickwalls. As you probably have seen in the Flickr folder there is some color-test there. And I settled on this mixture: 60% Dark Orange, 15% Reddish Brown, 15% Dark Tan and 10% Dark Red. And that was the closest I could get to the real thing.

I put this mix of about 4000 1x2 plates in a big box and mixed them well. When building I try to NOT look into the box when selecting a brick, so it should be as random as possible.

I actually startet building this model on a very strange part: 2th floor north facade windows and the round corner in 1th floor and built out from there :)

Cool looking house 'F0NIX', I hope there is going to be an interior ? :wink:

Brick On 'F0NIX' ! :grin:

Thanx!

The initial plans was to have interior in the building. You can probably see the vertical split on two of the facades. This was made so it should be possible to open the building in two parts to show of the interior.

But it seems it can take some time before the interior is finished. I'm almost out of parts after these three huge LEGO-buildings :)

Incredible MOC, very realistic, especially since it looks similar to some houses here in England. I would like to see an interior :classic:

The last finishing touches on the outside of this building is now finished.

I have not made any interior yet, but will start with it now.

Here is some pictures of the house after the final small details on the outside was added.

I am not so sure about the chimneys, I may find another way to attach them or remake them.

6132759413_40cef2f5f8_m.jpg 6133308460_78c010f864_m.jpg 6133307764_fa983d2255_m.jpg 6133308460_78c010f864_m.jpg 6133309162_072a548ae5_m.jpg 6132762995_dcb37f7975_m.jpg 6132763763_ebf551412e_m.jpg 6133311406_5100f5c00d_m.jpg

And here is a last picture that show how the splitt is on this house. Here I have chosen a vertical splitt to be able to show of the interior. It makes it a little more complicated to build the interior though. But it will be easier to show of the interior while on display on events. Another reason for vertical splitt is that it was hard to find a natural place to splitt the building horizontal, as the white horizontal lines does not go completly around all sides of the building.

6133312248_792c7d8b1a_m.jpg

Hope you like it. Enjoy!

Oh, now please say you are still putting in an interior ? :wink:

That interlocking feature....just simply AWESOME.....Brick On 'F0NIX' ! :grin:

Oh, now please say you are still putting in an interior ? :wink:

That interlocking feature....just simply AWESOME.....Brick On 'F0NIX' ! :grin:

Thank you!

Yes, I will put in an interior too.

I forgot to mention that the baluster on the windows are made out of the leftover on a LEGO sticker sheet. So it IS made of LEGO parts only :)