Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

"But this isn't just some fling, is it?"

Apparently I lied about the "last question" bit.

"No, Sorrow. I'm set on this. If this was some fling, I wouldn't want him not knowing about the Harvester until today."

She sighed.

"I told Octavyn, one of the other higher ups, to withhold the information on the Harvester being replicated until... well... today. So that last night we could actually enjoy it. I care about Masson. And I know what would happened if I acted like this was some fling."

She turned away. She couldn't bear to hear what Sorrow had to say.

"You can go ahead and say I disappointed you. It's not like I've already been told that a million times before."

I cradle my forehead in my hands, and draw a deep breath. With a sigh i draw myself up, and continue.

"Well... Not neccasairly. here's the thing, Karie. Betraying your party nearly got you killed, and I hope you never do something like that ever again. its too dangerous, too unhonorable. But you didn't do it out of greed, evil desire, or anything sinister... You did it because you felt you wanted to do something good. To help avenge your sister. To help someone you cared about, maybe even loved, at the time.

And if you do love him, Karie? I can't sya that you didn't do the right thing. You weren't one hundred percent correct in it - and I swear to Helvetia, I will not be this benevolent if you pull that stunt again - but you did what you thought was best, and in the end, nothing terrible truly happened.

So if you love him, Karie? You have my blessings."

I turn to Arthur.

"What do you think of Masson, Arthur?"

I turn to Arthur.

"What do you think of Masson, Arthur?"

"Honestly? He's made his mistakes, a string of ill-conceived decisions, actually. But not nearly as many as, say, you or me. He's young--and I mean that in spirit, he's probably a year or two older than me, if anything. But he's somehow managed to walk past some of the worst of the world despite its attempts to drag him down into it. He's innocent, if a bit naïve for it, but that means he's dedicated--if he believes in something, he'll go for it whole-heartedly. In this case, that means Karie. You couldn't ask for someone more devoted to her than he is. If that doesn't make for good 'significant other' material, I don't know what does."

I cradle my forehead in my hands, and draw a deep breath. With a sigh i draw myself up, and continue.

"Well... Not neccasairly. here's the thing, Karie. Betraying your party nearly got you killed, and I hope you never do something like that ever again. its too dangerous, too unhonorable. But you didn't do it out of greed, evil desire, or anything sinister... You did it because you felt you wanted to do something good. To help avenge your sister. To help someone you cared about, maybe even loved, at the time.

And if you do love him, Karie? I can't say that you didn't do the right thing. You weren't one hundred percent correct in it - and I swear to Helvetia, I will not be this benevolent if you pull that stunt again - but you did what you thought was best, and in the end, nothing terrible truly happened.

So if you love him, Karie? You have my blessings."

Karie looked back at Sorrow, sort of confused.

"That's it?"

Karie takes in a deep breath, exhaling, she gets up, brushing herself off.

"I expected this to go horribly to be honest, something along the lines of you disowning me, or something. Well... thanks for understanding, um... grandpa."

She awkwardly, yet affectionately hugs Sorrow, squeezing him.

The fain creak of a joint slipping out of its socket can be heard as Karie wraps my arms around me. Hopefully nobody noticed...

"Make no mistake, I don't approve of the action... But what is done is done, and it is not like you did it for sinister intentions. Yelling at you, although it would be slightly... cathartic... would not change a single thing. Just.... don't even think about pulling something like that again. You nearly got yourself killed, and you made more enemies then friends, I suspect.

Just... sorry for all the questions about what's between you and Masson. But the betrayal is no laughing matter...

...Nor is the fact I might very damn well have a son in-law before long.

Ehm... Your family isn't super religious, right? They wouldn't try to slay me or anything?"

Edited by Endgame

"Thanks for at least listening. I know far too many people who would have sent me off before even getting a chance to explain myself."

She lets Sorrow out of her grip.

"No, not that I'm aware of. My adoptive father often prays to Mercuito, what being a contract merchant and all. Why you ask?"

"No problem..."

I cough before answering.

"Ehrm... Just... Think nothing of it. It's just that relationships just moved a lot faster back when I was still presentable - as in, engagement after one week of meeting faster - and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get..."

I cut myself off.

"Erm. Sorry. Just rambling about the "good ol' days"."

Edited by Endgame

Karie rubs her shoulder.

"No, I understand.

I personally don't know if I had any "good ol' days", really. Then again, who am I to talk, I'm only 22!"

She chuckles. But there was truth to what she said. She never had any truly excellent days. Only bittersweet ones.

"Enjoy your midlife crisis, then, because that's next up on the agenda... Then again, mine was more of a tenthlife crisis.

And consisted of my flesh peeling off."

"Ew." Karie remarks. She sort of forgot her only living relative was undead.

"Well, um, I think that wraps this up. Do you guys want to go back into the hall? I think the other guys need someone to talk to. It's gotten awfully quiet."

"Lead the way then, Karie. Maybe we could finally talk about something that isn't world-ending demons or harrowing romance..."

"Actually, I wouldn't mind a quick round in the Arena, Karie. Unless you don't want to, of course."

Karie's mind pulls itself back to the fight with Sarge. It had left her doubting her own strength. The fool did down a nostrum though.

"Well, alright. If you really want a round in the arena Flipz, I can. So long as we agree no consumables! Last time the idiot I was with downed a nostrum and I literally wound up beaten in about a minute. Sheesh, talk about cheap! I'll see you in a bit, Sorrow."

She waves Sorrow off, and walks with Arthur to the arena, looking through her equipment.

"I can agree to that. Heck, I'll even lend you my Scrolls and Lens--I'm trying not to be so reliant on them, and I need to see if I can handle enemies who can incapacitate me that way anyway."

Karie returns to the hall, feeling as if she was hit by a cart. She'd only been knocked out once on a quest, but even then it wasn't even anything serious: her emergency essence brought right back up. She felt sore, and her head felt dizzy.

"You know, I really hate getting knocked out."

She sits down with a wet cloth and places it on her head. She turns to Arthur, grinning.

"So, you curious about the whole newt transformation scroll? If your willing to listen I'll tell you about my less than spectacular adventure about it."

Karie returns to the hall, feeling as if she was hit by a cart. She'd only been knocked out once on a quest, but even then it wasn't even anything serious: her emergency essence brought right back up. She felt sore, and her head felt dizzy.

"You know, I really hate getting knocked out."

She sits down with a wet cloth and places it on her head. She turns to Arthur, grinning.

"So, you curious about the whole newt transformation scroll? If your willing to listen I'll tell you about my less than spectacular adventure about it."

"I'm all ears."

I notice the pair walk back in.

"Back from the arena, Karie, Arthur?"

I absentmindedly look out the window, seeing the snow descend slowly onto the city. I give a slight smile, as invisible as always.

"Any Grogmas plans?"

"I'm all ears."

"Well then, prepare yourself. Things are about to get weird.

I was with a party, my second quest out and about in Brendenton. I just so happened to be Party Leader, and we were tasked with finding the source of a leak of information involving some monopoly in Brendenton's cloth industry, as well as stopping the news from getting out. So, the city was in full riot mode, due to the information being passed, and we were moving to the docks to catch a treacherous woman named Fleur. No need to worry about her, she's in the company of Davy Jones! Anyways, she had bought all the cloth for dirt cheap, and was the cause for the leak getting out, so we raced to the docks, and came across this man on our way, some sorcerer or what not with the ability to turn people into newts. Well, guess who gets hit."

She points to herself, looking embarrassed and slightly amused.

"Worse off, my clothes didn't come with me. In one heap lay my clothes in the street. Anyways, we beat the idiot up, and as he hits the ground, I begin to turn back: without my clothes on! So I duck into an alley, and low and behold, floating in the breeze is this."

She holds up the Scroll of Newtity.

"Still don't think it was worth being turned into a newt to get though."

She crosses her arms, feeling slightly ashamed of herself.

I notice the pair walk back in.

"Back from the arena, Karie, Arthur?"

I absentmindedly look out the window, seeing the snow descend slowly onto the city. I give a slight smile, as invisible as always.

"Any Grogmas plans?"

"Yeah, got beaten up. Again."

She removes the wet cloth from her head, leaving a bare patch of pasty skin visible, not that Karie notices.

"Nope, nothing as of yet. Though I expect we'll be here in the hall for it. Not that it really matters. I sort of like this laid back feeling. I've been rushed about so much lately it's nice to sit back."

She smiles back to the group, pulling a bottle of Falana Wine and pouring herself a glass, taking in the welcomingly familiar taste.

"Nope, nothing as of yet. Though I expect we'll be here in the hall for it. Not that it really matters. I sort of like this laid back feeling. I've been rushed about so much lately it's nice to sit back."

"Days past in this blasted all like nobody's business. Veterans need to give their artifacts an overhaul or something..."

I take a sip of my water.

"Hm, agreed. I always just liked to kick back with what little friends and family I had during the season instead of doing anything huge. You people doing anything of the sort."

I close my eyes for a moment, trying to recall something.

"I... I think Grogmas day is my birthday. I can't remember the specifics anymore - hell, I forgot my real last name."

"Days past in this blasted all like nobody's business. Veterans need to give their artifacts an overhaul or something..."

I take a sip of my water.

"Hm, agreed. I always just liked to kick back with what little friends and family I had during the season instead of doing anything huge. You people doing anything of the sort."

I close my eyes for a moment, trying to recall something.

"I... I think Grogmas day is my birthday. I can't remember the specifics anymore - hell, I forgot my real last name."

"Eh, I'm not complaining. It's either be bored in here or get shot at, stabbed at, cursed, poisoned, petrified, and turned into a newt out there. I think we're indulging in the lesser of two evils."

She sprouts a cocky grin. However it soon withers.

Karie stays quiet during Sorrow's talk of Grogmas. She had memories of the holidays. Particularly with Cliff.

Karie swishes about her wine.

"That's no reason to get upset. If you'd like, I'll put aside some of my Syndicate paycheque to a cake or something and we can hold a little party. I got nothing in mind for gifts, but hey, you'll be in good company at least!" She smiles, but there's a lingering sorrow behind it, as if something was bugging her.

I chuckle.

"Oh, no, no, its fine. I don't need to be reminded how old I am. And besides - during all of this death and reanimation business, I don't even know what to consider my birthday anymore. I may be dead wrong, for all I know. No need for a cake or anyhtig like that, Karie. Does the Syndicate pay well?"

I take another ginger sip. Something was bugging Karie.

"...Everything alright?"

A letter suddenly poofs into existence above my head, adorned in both pink and festive green.

"That time of the year again."

I rwead through Heckz's words with a warm smile...

Until I reach the words "Ether Core", along with the enclosed gift.

I take a deep breath, before letting out my frustration in a rapid string of unintelligble syllables - in reality, Necromancer cant.

"Xre'travithelkcufnigdammyhwdsoetiskcufnighapenperveyheladdmedkcufingyerakcufkcufkcuf!"

I inahle deepy, and look at Arthur and Karie.

"Erm, sorry."

Such good intentions, too... He doesn't know the story, though. I can't fault him.

Heckz waves and smiles at Sorrow, hoping he liked his gift. After a few minutes he realized he didn't. One of the only times I write letters that aren't death threats for calling me ugly and he doesn't like his gift? How rude. Maybe I'll just send him another gift.

Heckz got Avalanche's Smoke Bomb and took it.

I take a sip, yet another deep breath, and regain my composure.

"Erm Yes. Really sorry about that little outburst... None of you could understand what I was saying though, right? The expletives are better left unsaid, really.

So, back before I had a momentary fit of fury. Heh, no need to remind me that I'm an old man getting older, Karie - you work hard for your paycheck, keep it. Everything alright, though?"