Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

"'Dereliction of Duty' and being 'Absent Without Official Leave.' Which is rich, considering Lillith did, in fact, order me to take some time off to find myself." He snorts. "Why you don't like Patricia, Karie. I spoke to many other Watchmen during my time with them and at the Barracks, you know. There are a sizable chunk--a few high-rankers included--who feel the same way as me about Kayla's death. I'm starting to wonder if the root of the problem lies at the head of the Watch, not at its branches. A regime change might be in order if they keep it up."

"Perhaps just a clerical error, then, Arthur? I don't have an explanation for you, really... Patricia seemed like someone who was trying desperately to keep the cracks in this city from expanding. Were some of her choices on that night wrong? Perhaps. I'm biased, of course... I think we all are. I think what my granddaughter was doing last night was nothing short of evil. But I don't think she herself was. If I had known at the time, I would've had her taken into custody instead of killed. Perhaps we could've worked something out.

But we'll never know, will we?"

Arthur bowed his head and closed his eyes. "The sins of the past," he murmurs. He looks back up at Karie, his eyes somehow a little brighter and yet the pupils more inkily black than they had been a moment before. He reaches into his tunic with his left hand, extracting a quivering, inky orb--the Zoot's Plaything. He turns his hand, allowing the viscous fluid to splatter onto the table before reforming into its orblike form. The sticky black liquid adheres to the cloth wrapped around the wrist and palm, pulling it partly away and revealing a flash of a sickly bright yellow scar before Arthur catches it back up with his other hand, allowing the rest of the sinister ink to relinquish its grip on the gauzy fabric and congeal into its normal existence. "Is that the sort of ink you saw, Karie--Althior?" He looks back and forth between the two faces for confirmation, but can see the truth written in their eyes. "'Congratulations,' you've seen true manifestations of Chaos, of the fabric of the Void."

I sigh.

"Here is the thing, Arthur. Althior told me they were not creatures of the void, but from the Lifespark. Meaning that, perhaps, they are not traditional demons in the sense that they serve Azazot. They must have some sort of creator, in this realm... Which is troubling, to say the last. The Lifespark is quite the relic. A massive ethereal inferno, made from the collective power of the gods - It was a legend that has been passed down in necromantic communities when I was a child. From what I've observed, the ages have taken its toll on the tale, and it has faded into obscurity, nearly erased completely.

Of course, being something so powerful, anyone who touched it would've been annihilated instantly. Their mind overwhelmed, their body obliterated. Utterly destroyed, gone, basically.

But... If someone of this realm has learned how to temper the flames... It can only be a bad thing. I'm hard pressed thinking of any sorcerers that could've done it, not that I've met. Even Baba seemed more apt to simply pluck demons from the void rather then creating them. What sick, demented monster would create such cruel creatures, willing to twist and break a human like that?"

Arthur releases his breath and allows his head to slump into his hand, elbow resting on the table. He turns an impossibly tired gaze to Sorrow. "Mephisto the Hungry is one of the archdemons of Zoot, the other two being Marilith the Vengeful and Abraxas the Proud, whose favor I once held. Maybe still do--I always have been an arrogant little snotrag, and Abraxas is into that sort of thing. Anyway, the three are some of Zoot's most powerful minions in this world--but do not doubt he has many others. They were sealed in the Temple beneath our feet long, long ago, but Zed and Sycamore Zeigfried released Abraxas long ago as part of their dark necromantic rites. No offense, Sorrow, Althior," he says with a nod to the two. "Althior can tell you more about Abraxas, whom he faced in his first Quest for Heroica, and Thalion here--oh, how rude of me, Thalion, Sorrow the Assassin and Althior the Necromancer, Sorrow and Althior, Thalion Dwinlas, Sorcerer. He's a good friend of mine from my Quest for the Ji Pei. We never did find out if that automaton made it to its buyer, did we?" He chuckles. "Anyhow, Thalion here faced Mephisto in person and helped to banish him back to Zoot, and I ended up beating down a sliver of Mephisto's soul that one of the Old Gods--the Master of Regret, to be precise--decided to capture and feed to this one idiot who consumed it in a mad bid for power. I could give you more detail, entire pages out of the Pandemonicon itself, but I...try not to access those memories unless I have to." He taps his head, a sad smile on his face. "Yeah, I've got my own personal copy. It's what happens if you manage to read the whole thing through, provided you don't lose your sanity. Or Hel, if I'm the example, even if you do. Every bit of it--a never-ending series of sickening images, cants so old they were spoken almost before time itself came into being, inscriptions to powerful spells of unspeakable evil. Everything Karie spoke of, and more, every singe day, sometimes even seeping into your dreams. It's like a scar--the knowledge never leaves your mind."

"And that's all Chaos is, in a way. A series of scars, torn in reality itself to commemorate the enormous transgressions Chaos-users commit against it. Chaos is all about scars, actually, and those marked can never truly escape it." He hesitates, then slowly removes Hans' bandage from his left hand, revealing the horrid marks of his attempt to drain Guffington's Spire of its Chaos. "I got this trying to strengthen myself by draining the power of the Spire of Chaos that Guffington Manor is built around. A lot of the great buildings in this city are built around the Doors to Chaos, you know--they were kept open, just barely, by the Old Gods, allowing the Chaotic power to feed the people around them, elevating them to greatness...and thus, the Houses were born." Arthur's hand twitches and shudders, and he quickly re-wraps it before digging into his pack for his Overkill Gloves and slipping them on. "For my trouble, I got that scar, a mental chat with the three Archdemons from the Temple, and mental scarring to last a lifetime. I'm told I began speaking with a traditional Zootist undertone for a bit, though it was barely perceptible to me."

Arthur sighs heavily. "Long story short, Sorrow, they're bad news, and I once sided with them. If they're back, and if someone's trying to harness them, then it's my job to pay for my sins by facing them--to the end if I have to, and beyond. I have no doubt I'll be drawn into the Void upon my destruction--maybe it's time I took a look into the old rites, see if my spirit can last long enough to make a difference from the other side." To most, Arthur's non-use of the word 'death' might seem normal, but something in his phrasing struck Althior and Sorrow, with their experiences of necromancy, as a little odd.

I place a hand on Arthur's shoulder.

"Arthur. You are a human being, and I say that with the highest regards. When you are human, memories crumble. When you are human, scars fade. Eventually, you'll be able to escape all that, to be able to live without all that baggage.

Hopefully it is sometime soon.

But... What, exactly, do you mean by "destruction"?""

Edited by Endgame

Four Score, and Seven Years ago...

"Well, he's definitely not tolerant of me. Seems as if whether or not I'm on the party's side or not, I'm a screw up." Karie sighs. "God... this whole thing's getting to me when it really shouldn't. They were both tight lipped about... what was that you talked about? Yeah, they wouldn't tell me a word about this Wren character when I quested with them, said "it wasn't of my concern." Wasn't of my concern alright... Who's "Baba"? Nothing good, for sure. I've never encounter Atramor, neither. He's a hero, though?"

Karie scoffs. "Patricia? It's obvious, isn't it? She's both judge, jury, and executioner. Kayla had every right to stand trial. But no. That cold heart %itch did her in, defenceless, and on the ground... The rest of the watch I have no qualms with, but until she's either dead or gone, I do not associate with them, Arthur. You are the sole exception, you know that. I want Ulric dead too, but I refuse to assist the watch. You know what happened, Arthur. You also know why I detest Lawrence."

Karie stares at the black, inky mass, almost speechless. "My god... it's almost... uncanny... Arthur... where did you get that? These Oculoids claimed to be made by some fire, some Life Spark. They're demons alright, but not typical ones. Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma, call it what you will... knowing myself, I'm not done with these cretins."

Karie frowns. "Your a... Zootist? Is that what you meant... back you know where? When you said you'd been down a path you regretted taking? Arthur..." She turned to Sorrow. She'd probably have to answer for this.

"I... know what you mean. I've got enough scars to last me a life time. Enough run ins with demons and half baked psychos to cover me for a lifetime. I've got physical scars, I've got mental scars. I feel... weak at times, since I allow them to get ahold of me, but now, I got this." She holds up the Paper Doll, "I can never be hexed again. It's almost... liberating knowing that. Scars heal Arthur. Some of mine have."

Lab rat.

"If it's Oculoid hunting, I want in. I have a score to settle with those filthy vermin. They're the worst kind of creature: born out of hate and malice. I may be known as a "witch", but I want to change this stereotype that all witch's are a bunch of vagabonds and ne'er-do-wells." Karie punches her fists together, attempting to show she was more courageous than she really was.

Our forefathers...

"Which... grandaughter are we speaking about here? I was at home with Masson. Doing absolutely nothing. At all." Karie's face turns royal flush red.

"See, that's troubling me too. These one eyed, octo-freaks must serve someone, but who? Whoever, or whatever it is, it's nothing good." Karie pilfers a glass of hot apple cider, sipping it.

"Look at me, Arthur. I'm a walking, talking pile of luggage. I'm still here. Somehow." She pondered for a minute. She really had screwed up a lot these past few months, hadn't she?

I shake my head.

"Gah, sorry, Karie, I misspoke. I was referring to "that" night at the theatre and your sister Kayla, not last night and you."

I give a sly smile.

"Oh, sure, sure. I've been celibate for the last four centuries, but don't think you can delude me into not realizing what you two were up to last night. Hey, your life, and there is nothing wrong with it, anyway."

I chuckle.

"What, do you think I'd ask about more grandkids without some basis?

Karie frowns. "Your a... Zootist? Is that what you meant... back you know where? When you said you'd been down a path you regretted taking? Arthur..." She turned to Sorrow. She'd probably have to answer for this.

"Dare I ask, or would you rather I let this one drop?"

Edited by Endgame

I shake my head.

"Gah, sorry, Karie, I misspoke. I was referring to "that" night at the theatre and your sister Kayla, not last night and you."

I give a sly smile.

"Oh, sure, sure. I've been celibate for the last four centuries, but don't think you can delude me into not realizing what you two were up to last night. Hey, your life, and there is nothing wrong with it, anyway."

I chuckle.

"What, do you think I'd ask about more grandkids without some basis?

Karie's face turns redder. She tries saying something, but nothing comes out. She finally spits something out.

"No comment."

She slides down her chair slightly.

"Dare I ask, or would you rather I let this one drop?"

She turns to Arthur, still slacking in her chair, looking back at Sorrow with a worried look. He needed to know, but not in the less crowded than usual hall.

"Really... I'd prefer to talk about this in private later. Arthur, you, uh... mind being there too?"

Karie's face turns redder. She tries saying something, but nothing comes out. She finally spits something out.

"No comment."

She turns to Arthur, still slacking in her chair, looking back at Sorrow with a worried look. He needed to know, but not in the less crowded than usual hall.

"Really... I'd prefer to talk about this in private later. Arthur, you, uh... mind being there too?"

I give an awkward cough.

"Erm. Sorry. Didn't realize the subject was that... You know. I guess ancestors humiliating their descendants unintentionally is borderline cosmic law..."

I raise an eyebrow.

"Just how much does this concern me, you two?"

I raise an eyebrow.

"Just how much does this concern me, you two?"

Karie gives a half hearted chuckle. "Well, you are my only living relative, and at this point I'd prefer to tell you this before it leaks itself, hehe... ha."

Oh god, I'm so dead.

I sigh.

"Here is the thing, Arthur. Althior told me they were not creatures of the void, but from the Lifespark. Meaning that, perhaps, they are not traditional demons in the sense that they serve Azazot. They must have some sort of creator, in this realm... Which is troubling, to say the last. The Lifespark is quite the relic. A massive ethereal inferno, made from the collective power of the gods - It was a legend that has been passed down in necromantic communities when I was a child. From what I've observed, the ages have taken its toll on the tale, and it has faded into obscurity, nearly erased completely.

Of course, being something so powerful, anyone who touched it would've been annihilated instantly. Their mind overwhelmed, their body obliterated. Utterly destroyed, gone, basically.

But... If someone of this realm has learned how to temper the flames... It can only be a bad thing. I'm hard pressed thinking of any sorcerers that could've done it, not that I've met. Even Baba seemed more apt to simply pluck demons from the void rather then creating them. What sick, demented monster would create such cruel creatures, willing to twist and break a human like that?"

"Doesn't matter. They're still creatures of Chaos--all life is inherently Chaotic to some degree or another, and from what Karie's implied of their abilities, they seem to be so more than most. I haven't heard of a 'Lifespark' as such, but it sounds like a powerful Chaoric artifact, and if tempered with some of the more powerful aspects of Orderly magic, it could likely produce chaotic organisms that would be under their creator's control--essentially Chaos Beasts with an extraordinary amount of free will. They can occur naturally, actually--one of the best men I ever knew was such a being of Chaos, though he took human form and fought alongside us against Wren. He served the Balance." Arthur mused to himself. "I can't possibly think of anyone that evil and that accomplished in Orderly magic who wouldn't just resort to planetwide Hexing, or some other form of simple mind control, rather than engaging in such a complex scheme. Maybe...nah. There's this being--well. Nah. I'm beginning to doubt he's even real. And even if he is...well, I don't think his influence could extend back to this realm enough to cast the spells he'd need to cast. He'd need a vessel--someone connected to the Spirit Pools, and preferably someone he'd already marked. Wish I could talk to Vipera, or to Ella Septrine--they know more about it than I, could probably tell us if there was anyone nearby who'd fit the criteria." He shakes his head. "Then again, last time I tried to guess the big Chaotic villain's plan, I decided she was right and tried to worship her. Thank gods that didn't last."

"Well, he's definitely not tolerant of me. Seems as if whether or not I'm on the party's side or not, I'm a screw up." Karie sighs. "God... this whole thing's getting to me when it really shouldn't. They were both tight lipped about... what was that you talked about? Yeah, they wouldn't tell me a word about this Wren character when I quested with them, said "it wasn't of my concern." Wasn't of my concern alright... Who's "Baba"? Nothing good, for sure. I've never encounter Atramor, neither. He's a hero, though?"

"Wasn't of your--like hell it wasn't of your concern! You live with the damned Temple underneath your feet, and the murderous backstabber Atramor is a member of Heroica who could turn on you or abandon you in a Quest any moment! I think that's officially in 'need to know' territory!"

"Baba--better known nowadays as 'Barbariccia Dellamore'--was the Witch of Kalakita Bog on one of Thothwick's earlier Quests. I know a few of the other Heroes who went with him, but I doubt you would--most of 'em are the quiet sort, and I haven't seem them in the Hall since you joined, with the exception of Thormanil, who seems to be out on a Quest right now. I might have seen Cinna leaving as well, but I'm not sure--we've sort of lost touch over time. Anyway, they were on a mission to save Zelda Zeigfried from an ailment brought on by Abraxas, but one of the children, Bluto stowed away and joined them. Baba...well, she tricked the party and forced them to leave him with her. Bluto hadn't been heard from again until the Foundation Day Ball, accompanying Baba, who's now used her magic to enchant the heads of the Houses to remain in conflict with each other--just when it looked like they might have been starting to get along. My feeble words weren't enough to reverse the enchantment. She's a monster--and I have no doubt we'll have to go through her to kill Ulric."

"Wren...she's..." He shakes his head. "Another time, maybe. It's a...complicated...story, and it deserves a proper telling. She was...simultaneously ally and enemy, pawn and player, kin, rival, and most dangerous foe. Out of all of us who faced her, I think our relationship was one of the more...complex. We had a lot of respect for each other...fitting, since we were both monsters, both...well..."

Karie stares at the black, inky mass, almost speechless. "My god... it's almost... uncanny... Arthur... where did you get that? These Oculoids claimed to be made by some fire, some Life Spark. They're demons alright, but not typical ones. Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma, call it what you will... knowing myself, I'm not done with these cretins."

"It's a Zoot's Plaything. It's...well, it's got a few uses. All of which bind it to its owner, to the point where it's impossible to get rid of it, but I haven't done that yet. It can be transformed into an unusually faithful weapon, for example, among several other things. Mostly, though, I keep it around as a reminder. Of who I once was, of the mistakes I made. Of the people I got killed."

"Not...exactly. And certainly not anymore. I've turned away from that path--at least, as much as one actually can turn from it. Maybe Sorrow can tell you sometime about the cult of extremist Helvetia-worshippers known as the Cold Circle. I once knew a man who left their number...even with his sacrifices, as he could tell you, it never really leaves you. Not completely. Some things...some things can stain a soul for life. Chaos is one of those things."

I place a hand on Arthur's shoulder.

"Arthur. You are a human being, and I say that with the highest regards. When you are human, memories crumble. When you are human, scars fade. Eventually, you'll be able to escape all that, to be able to live without all that baggage.

Hopefully it is sometime soon.

But... What, exactly, do you mean by "destruction"?""

"I... know what you mean. I've got enough scars to last me a life time. Enough run ins with demons and half baked psychos to cover me for a lifetime. I've got physical scars, I've got mental scars. I feel... weak at times, since I allow them to get ahold of me, but now, I got this." She holds up the Paper Doll, "I can never be hexed again. It's almost... liberating knowing that. Scars heal Arthur. Some of mine have."

Lab rat.

Screw it. Might as well say it. "Actually...that's not entirely true, Sorrow. Not anymore."

"I never told you about my homeland, did I? We were--generations ago, mind you--an ancient culture, bound to the rituals and service of Zoot. I won't say we were the first to worship Zoot, but we were definitely one of the oldest. Many years back, though, we decided to rebel, purging Zoot and all things related to him from our society. Our Temple of Zoot was sealed, and all knowledge of Chaos was forbidden. That was when we took our current name--Zut'tau'ri, 'Zoot's Rebels'. But Chaos, being as it is, never truly left us. We tend to live longer, resist disease, and survive disaster better than the average human, and we tend to be cunning and keen-witted. We also experience an abnormally strong pull toward power--even though on the surface we shun it."

"It's minor things, really. A residual amount of pure Chaos--like what's in that Plaything--running through our veins. But it's still Chaos."

"When I was little--really little, before the scandal with Valentine, before Dad disappeared on his trip, mind you--some friends and I found our way into the Temple. That's when I got the knowledge of Zoot burned into my mind, from our local copy of the Pandemonicon. And I was imbued with another layer of Chaos--the layer that keeps my memory pristine. Oh, I forget minor things from time to time, but it's a lot better than most--and some things, my blackest days, my worst experiences, get preserved in the most crisp, pristine detail. And they never go away."

"Then I pulled my little stunt with the Spire at Guffington Manor. I drew that Chaos into myself--imbued myself with yet another layer. I have the favor of an archdemon--it takes a special breed of stupid to impress the Archdemon of Pride. But that's not the worst part."

"That night, last Grogmas? I had given up the protection of the Veterans of Heroica. I became the Scarecrow of Sorrow, member of the Court of Demons. In that moment, I became vulnerable to every single curse Chaos could lay upon me...and lay them down it did. I was vulnerable, and between the Spire, the Chaos Beasts, the Temple, the goddess Wren..."

"I'd wager I'm at least a third Chaos now. Probably more; it tends to corrupt what it touches, and I ended up speaking rather glowingly of it in R'klif during a philosophical argument with Boomingham and Nerwen. Chaos...doesn't die. It consumes and destroys, and in the end is torn from this world back to the Void from which it came, leaving an echo, a scar in its wake. But that process is never natural. It is always violent, and always painful. Dying? I can be destroyed in battle, sure. But I'm not sure if there's enough human left--especially on the inside--to consider it death. And as far as old age or decay? Nothing. Chaos can survive for aeons. The Chaos Beast created at the dawn of time will 'live' to witness the end of it, so long as no one took the sword to it. I'm effectively immortal--and I have to live with the memories and failures of all that time."

"So now you know why I carry so much regret for what I've done. Because not only did I do it, but I will have to carry the burden of it forever. And nothing, save the end of my existence, can end that. And if it means stopping these Oculoids and their master, I'm willing to give up even that relief--even if I end up bleeding the same ink as those we're slaying."

"If it's Oculoid hunting, I want in. I have a score to settle with those filthy vermin. They're the worst kind of creature: born out of hate and malice. I may be known as a "witch", but I want to change this stereotype that all witch's are a bunch of vagabonds and ne'er-do-wells." Karie punches her fists together, attempting to show she was more courageous than she really was.

"Heh. You remind me of Dyric when you act tough like that." He smiles, the expression, for once, genuine.

"See, that's troubling me too. These one eyed, octo-freaks must serve someone, but who? Whoever, or whatever it is, it's nothing good." Karie pilfers a glass of hot apple cider, sipping it.

"Look at me, Arthur. I'm a walking, talking pile of luggage. I'm still here. Somehow." She pondered for a minute. She really had screwed up a lot these past few months, hadn't she?

"Oh, I don't doubt people like us can stick around, keep living. It's just really, really hard."

"No comment."

"Always." He nods to Althior and Thalion. "Please, let's speak more later. I'm sure the two of you have more questions of me--and I'm sure Sorrow would appreciate the two of you bringing him up to speed on your own encounters with Zoot's archdemons. If I may take my leave..." Arthur stands up, bows, and unsummons his chair, waiting for Karie and Sorrow to rise from theirs.

Maybe...nah. There's this being--well. Nah. I'm beginning to doubt he's even real. And even if he is...well, I don't think his influence could extend back to this realm enough to cast the spells he'd need to cast. He'd need a vessel--someone connected to the Spirit Pools, and preferably someone he'd already marked.

"Anything you know would be much appreciated, Arthur..."

"Baba--better known nowadays as 'Barbariccia Dellamore'--was the Witch of Kalakita Bog on one of Thothwick's earlier Quests. I know a few of the other Heroes who went with him, but I doubt you would--most of 'em are the quiet sort, and I haven't seem them in the Hall since you joined, with the exception of Thormanil, who seems to be out on a Quest right now. I might have seen Cinna leaving as well, but I'm not sure--we've sort of lost touch over time. Anyway, they were on a mission to save Zelda Zeigfried from an ailment brought on by Abraxas, but one of the children, Bluto stowed away and joined them. Baba...well, she tricked the party and forced them to leave him with her. Bluto hadn't been heard from again until the Foundation Day Ball, accompanying Baba, who's now used her magic to enchant the heads of the Houses to remain in conflict with each other--just when it looked like they might have been starting to get along. My feeble words weren't enough to reverse the enchantment. She's a monster--and I have no doubt we'll have to go through her to kill Ulric."

I snort.

"Damn her, and damn what she did the houses. Although I wouldn't be surprised if shes trying to pull the strings behind the Wolfgang, too... It'll be "interesting" to see how this whole Ulric and Baba thing climaxes."

"It's a Zoot's Plaything. It's...well, it's got a few uses. All of which bind it to its owner, to the point where it's impossible to get rid of it, but I haven't done that yet. It can be transformed into an unusually faithful weapon, for example, among several other things. Mostly, though, I keep it around as a reminder. Of who I once was, of the mistakes I made. Of the people I got killed."

"Not...exactly. And certainly not anymore. I've turned away from that path--at least, as much as one actually can turn from it. Maybe Sorrow can tell you sometime about the cult of extremist Helvetia-worshippers known as the Cold Circle. I once knew a man who left their number...even with his sacrifices, as he could tell you, it never really leaves you. Not completely. Some things...some things can stain a soul for life. Chaos is one of those things."

"Nasty bunch, they are."

I look down at my bloodied and bruised hand, glass still impaled into what little flesh I have left.

"Though, I suppose, I fit their mission statement well enough. In a roundabout way, anyway. This is penance, not worship, rest assured."

Screw it. Might as well say it. "Actually...that's not entirely true, Sorrow. Not anymore."

I can only look wide-eyed at the young man I thought I knew. What did he do to himself...? Have to think of something to say...

"I'm... unsure how to respond to that, Arthur. I suspect you are more human then you think you are, though. Nothing can last in chaos's grip forever - not even chaos itself. Not even you.

I'm... on my way out of this world as well, I suspect. Few more years left in me."

"Always." He nods to Althior and Thalion. "Please, let's speak more later. I'm sure the two of you have more questions of me--and I'm sure Sorrow would appreciate the two of you bringing him up to speed on your own encounters with Zoot's archdemons. If I may take my leave..." Arthur stands up, bows, and unsummons his chair, waiting for Karie and Sorrow to rise from theirs.

I rise up as well.

"Lead the way, and do try not to devastate me too much."

Karie's mind begins to boggle with information. Arthur, not human? What? And what's this talk of a Barbariccia Dellamore?

"Ugh, I should have been at the Ball, for multiple reasons. Instead I was in some stupid town trying to get this old man his cloth monopoly. I could've stopped... so much...

Arthur, look, I don't care if your not human by the textbook definition, you're human in my mind. You're more human than those demonic octopi, that's for sure. You're a caring guy, and you're one of the smartest men I know. If you're not human, then neither I am." Karie rubs Arthur's shoulder.

"Let's... let's just get this over with."

Karie rises from her chair, and blows Thailon a kiss. She walks out of the bar, hoping the others will follow, and into a secluded section of the Hall: portraits of past heroes hung on it's walls. She wasn't look forward to this. Not at all.

"This looks as good a place as any, I guess."

"Let's... let's just get this over with."

Karie rises from her chair, and blows Thailon a kiss. She walks out of the bar, hoping the others will follow, and into a secluded section of the Hall: portraits of past heroes hung on it's walls. She wasn't look forward to this. Not at all.

"This looks as good a place as any, I guess."

I lean against the wall, careful not to knock down any portraits of the accomplished heroes.

"So. What would you like to tell me?"

Althior sits quietly, simply listening to the heroes converse over the ink creatures. He sits, and waits, and waits. He watches as the three stand up and leave him to himself at the table. He couldn't help but think of that eye. That one eye of the Oculoid's that would torture him for the rest of his life. This one, pure essence of evil exiting inside of hid memory, and it seemed that none cared about his account. The Necromancer sat back, signaling to Scheherazade for another drink. He stared intently at the cracks in the table, for he had nothing better to do. He sat back, taking a slow sip of his drink, then sighed. He was to be trapped here for a long while, it seemed.

Karie twiddles her thumbs, looking rather guilty. She at least hoped Arthur would be here for protection, incase anything awful happened.

"Well, this doesn't entirely have to do with you, but it does have to do with me, and I figured that now is as good a time as any, seeing as how Arthur's here."

She took a deep breath, and prepared herself for what she was about to say.

"You see, Masson and me... I wound up falling in love when... oh god, I'll make this simple: I betrayed the party back when I first met Masson. Sort of. Me and Octavyn staged a kidnap, I went to see Masson, Masson said I could join the Syndicate and I did, since I couldn't join the Watch to get at Ulric since Patricia killed my sister but Ulric got her into his bed and other stuff so I thought my best option was to join the Syndicate, I got beaten up by my party in a fight, then I rejoined my party, then I talked Masson out of getting himself killed and using the Harvester and he broke the blasted device, and that's why I'm with the Syndicate and dating Masson."

Karie panted, obviously making what could have been very simple very long and very long winded.

"There, it's out! Give me your worst. I sort of deserve it. Arthur already knows, he talked me out of fighting him and the rest of my crew."

I try to remain as neutral as possible, trying to get the full story before I actually respond. Still, I can't hide my surprise.

"So... Allow me to get the order of events perfectly straight here, Karie, and tell me if I'm wrong or not. You're hired to stop Masson, staged a kidnapping with Masson's friend, fell in love with Masson, joined him, nearly got yourself killed by your own party, and then talked Masson out of what you think would've effectively been suicide, and are now going steady, still working for him.

Am I right, or do I have the order of events wrong here?"

Edited by Endgame

"Well, the falling in love bit was over a period of time. It wasn't love at first sight, mind you, but... I realized that the man was willing to commit himself to me. And I eventually warmed up to him.

So yeah, you got the just of it."

Karie sits down against the wall, looking crestfallen.

"And what, exactly, did he do to get Heroica's attention?"

I asked her if she was dating Ulric - was this man an equivalent?

"Well, he wasn't getting Heroica's attention as much as it was the Watch's. He was trying to reform Wolfgang members, using this device called the Harvester: it could remove senses, but it could also make the more lethal Wolfgang members no longer members of the Wolfgang, turning them to his side. I'd rather see them with the Syndicate than with Ulric, and most of the men weren't actually converted in that manner. Many joined on their own. That and they did try to flush one Watch Member of his previous encounter with them. But they're not evil! The Syndicate's goal is to bring the Wolfgang down and bring peace to the city. The Harvester is gone: crushed, smashed to pieces. Well... no... that's a lie."

Karie looks worryingly at the two.

"The Oculoids... somehow managed to peer through Masson's head. They have the Harvester design.

It was the one thing that kept me from him, the one thing that I told him if he didn't destroy it, we couldn't be together. And I thought it was gone. And now it's back. I fear that damn thing with a passion. It haunts my dreams, his nephew who used it on me on my first quest, he haunts my dreams. He was so close to using me as..."

Karie goes quiet. She simply looks out into nothing, curling herself up.

"The Harvester...that...thing is back?" Arthur bows his head. "This is bad, bad, bad...okay, let me tell you about The Regret."

"Last Grogmas, just before we went out to fight Wren, I had a...well, a vision. I guess I should point out that I've had them since I was small, but for the most part they left me as I grew up. Until Dastan, when my mind was temporarily bound to that of several other Heroes with the aid of a Dragon named Vipera...until I helped rescue Princess Ella Septrine of Dastan, a potent seer thanks to her connection with the Spirit Pools. I...don't really know much about them, other than they seem to be a sort of magic far deeper than Ether could ever be, allowing one to see things in visions beyond any other method known to humankind. Anyway, it's Grogmas Eve, and I have a vision. At first it took the form of my father, but that was just an illusion--it morphed into this...giant, scorpion-like creature. From what I've heard from other Heroes, it was some form of Progg. He called himself 'The Regret'--we monologued at each other for a bit, and then we fought. I was brimming with Chaos energy at the time, and when he told me I had a connection to the Spirit Pools...well, it was a strange fight to say the least. He was clearly a master of Orderly arts, and we were equally matched--until he suddenly increased his power and snapped the connection. Later on, while Sorrow and I were fighting Baba's minion, he appeared to me again, and set me and two apparitions against..well, I'm not sure what they were, but they looked like the beverages Portia sells in the Marketplace and fought like hell. I still don't understand the purpose of that one, nor his goal, but...he's been menacing my dreams ever since. I've never seen him in the flesh, and I was beginning to doubt he was real, but...I don't know. I just don't know."

"I can't imagine their being only one, though. There's probably more than one, I guarantee there's more than one... Arthur, I don't know why you're telling us about this Regret. I think I remember someone talking about Proggs, but what does he have to do with the Harvester?"

"I can't imagine their being only one, though. There's probably more than one, I guarantee there's more than one... Arthur, I don't know why you're telling us about this Regret. I think I remember someone talking about Proggs, but what does he have to do with the Harvester?"

"Not so much the Harvester, Karie...but with you."

"Yes, the Regret was able to break into my mind without a second thought, like it was nothing, and yes he'd have the magic necessary to temper this 'Lifespark.' But more importantly..." He stares into Karie's eyes. "Karie, have you ever had particularly bad dreams as a child? More than mere nightmares--the sort of dream where you somehow know there's a sliver of something real behind them?" He looks nervously to Sorrow; he wasn't going to like this bit. "Stealing the Harvester designs might not have been purely for its ability...it could also have been done to reinforce the scars, both mental and physical, it's left on you. If you have ties to the Spirit Pools as well, Karie...it's likely you're a target. That he's counting on you to fight them. And maybe me as well." He pauses, then stands up. "I'll be right back."

Barely a few minutes pass before Arthur returns bearing two large volumes. "Have either of you two seen Byblos lately?" he asks, turning through pages at a rapid rate. "He didn't answer when I called. Anyway, I wanted you to see for yourselves what happens to the vessel in a Chaotic ritual." He opens the book to a particular page and slides it over before opening and paging through the other--this one more slowly, carefully. "You deserve to know the sort of thing you could be up against." He raises the book, the Quest record of the battle for Luosh, to hide his face. His own betrayal of his party was just a few pages further in. Would they be able to look past it, when they saw the truth? Could they? Should they? He didn't know. All he knew was that he couldn't fail them again--fail them as he did Passion, and Hans, and Gnash, and all the others. He had to protect them, and, this time, he would stand loyally by their side, if they would have him...or sacrifice himself, if necessary, if they would not.

Karie reads on in disgust. Was she capable of turning into... that?

"Arthur, you're loosing me. Either that, or I have a terrible memory, which I already know I do. Just what are these Spirit Pools, Arthur? You know I have little recollection of my childhood? I don't remember if I did have any nightmares that could have been real. Yeah, I've had nightmares, tons, but I can't really recall any that seemed real."

Karie's mind wandered off into the moments she got hexed. All three of them. She wound up meeting him. The Emcee in each. It was just a hallucinogenic reaction though, right?

"Well, he wasn't getting Heroica's attention as much as it was the Watch's. He was trying to reform Wolfgang members, using this device called the Harvester: it could remove senses, but it could also make the more lethal Wolfgang members no longer members of the Wolfgang, turning them to his side. I'd rather see them with the Syndicate than with Ulric, and most of the men weren't actually converted in that manner. Many joined on their own. That and they did try to flush one Watch Member of his previous encounter with them. But they're not evil! The Syndicate's goal is to bring the Wolfgang down and bring peace to the city. The Harvester is gone: crushed, smashed to pieces. Well... no... that's a lie."

I follow the conversation worryingly, listening to karie and Arthur's grim triade.

"Okay, let us back up here a second... Back to why I was here.

How much of a commitment are we talking here, Karie? Weeks? Months? Years?"

I take the questbook out of Arthur's hand, and skim to The Regret's section in it; his massive battle with the heroes, nearly massacring them. I raise my eyebrows as he not only spelled out his genocidal goals, but even managed to devour a guardian angel. he killed one of Ennoc's own children?!

"...According to what is here, you two, this... "Regret"... is shooting for entire human extinction. Sound familiar to either of you two? Either way, I doubt he has time to waste on you two - and I'm not saying that as an insult. If he was trying to get rid of the entire infestation, why focus on only two ants? if anything, he is merely using you as a plaything, Arthur... A tool of amusement."

Karie reads on in disgust. Was she capable of turning into... that?

"Arthur, you're loosing me. Either that, or I have a terrible memory, which I already know I do. Just what are these Spirit Pools, Arthur? You know I have little recollection of my childhood? I don't remember if I did have any nightmares that could have been real. Yeah, I've had nightmares, tons, but I can't really recall any that seemed real."

Karie's mind wandered off into the moments she got hexed. All three of them. She wound up meeting him. The Emcee in each. It was just a hallucinogenic reaction though, right?

"That's the thing...I don't really know. I do know they represent a deep spiritual connection to things beyond this world...and they make you a valuable target for those who want to twist magic to their own ends. Vipera could use it to telepathically connect minds...Ella saw the future...and Passion...well, he was an Old God, so I don't know if he counts, but he could sense the presence and movement of beings of great power. More than that, though...well, it seems like it's a magnet for trouble. A great power...with a great ability to get hurt." Arthur looks on with concern.

"I wish we could go to Dastan, speak to Ella and Vipera. They could tell us for sure."

"...According to what is here, you two, this... "Regret"... is shooting for entire human extinction. Sound familiar to either of you two? Either way, I doubt he has time to waste on you two - and I'm not saying that as an insult. If he was trying to get rid of the entire infestation, why focus on only two ants? if anything, he is merely using you as a plaything, Arthur... A tool of amusement."

"Even so, it's a weakness, and it's one he'd exploit in a heartbeat. Why risk being delayed or defeated when he can lure in opponents he can wipe out with the slightest of ease?"

I follow the conversation worryingly, listening to karie and Arthur's grim triade.

"Okay, let us back up here a second... Back to why I was here.

How much of a commitment are we talking here, Karie? Weeks? Months? Years?"

"Well it was over the period of a day... and a half... I think..."

Karie twirls her finger around her bangs nervously.

"That's the thing...I don't really know. I do know they represent a deep spiritual connection to things beyond this world...and they make you a valuable target for those who want to twist magic to their own ends. Vipera could use it to telepathically connect minds...Ella saw the future...and Passion...well, he was an Old God, so I don't know if he counts, but he could sense the presence and movement of beings of great power. More than that, though...well, it seems like it's a magnet for trouble. A great power...with a great ability to get hurt." Arthur looks on with concern.

"I wish we could go to Dastan, speak to Ella and Vipera. They could tell us for sure."

"Even so, it's a weakness, and it's one he'd exploit in a heartbeat. Why risk being delayed or defeated when he can lure in opponents he can wipe out with the slightest of ease?"

"Oh great, I could be have some crazy spirit connection and not know it. This is just perfect. Now I've got more things to add to my list of things that are out to kill me. I'm surprised only one opponent I've come across has actually been knocked off. Sunk with her own stupid cloth..." Karie crossed her arms. This debate had gone from being about her betrayal of her party to how she could be some important spire of... poolness. Or something.

Edited by Kintobor

I sigh.

"Okay, last question, promise, before I give my ultimatum. How serious are you two about the relationship?"

"Well, you're the one who apparently knows what happened last night. Answers you're question, doesn't it?

And in case we're on separate tracks, we had sex last night. Just making sure."

Karie looked away from Sorrow. She secured herself for the potential storm.