Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

Romulus signs himself, Avalanche, Alexander and Monk Pretzel up for the fields of glory.

Edited by TheBoyWonder

I enter the hall.

What an interesting quest. I have to say those Town Watch fellows seem more incompetent than I originally took them for.

I sign up for the Fields of Glory with Romulus' party.

I need to do this right?

I scan the surrounding area and am suddenly drawn to a marvelous helmet. Approaching it, I look around for it's owner.

"Ah, greetings ranger. I can't recall meeting you before. That's a lovely helmet you have there. May I ask what it's worth to you?"

I scan the surrounding area and am suddenly drawn to a marvelous helmet. Approaching it, I look around for it's owner.

"Ah, greetings ranger. I can't recall meeting you before. That's a lovely helmet you have there. May I ask what it's worth to you?"

"Ah, you should be Monk Pretzel, yes we can't meet before. This helmet..." says Alexander pointing the Duplovian helmet "I say 200 gold, you pay 300 to Fabian in the Market, what do you think?"

"Not bad, but not as good as 180 would sound."

"I think 180 gold it's fair." says Alexander giving the Duplovian helmet of the guard to Monk Pretzel and taking 180 gold from him. "Give me only a moment." he leaves the group and reaches Thalion, just entered in the Hall "Hey Thalion, what's up? Are you interested in a trip to the Fields of Glory?"

"Give me only a moment." he leaves the group and reaches Thalion, just entered in the Hall "Hey Thalion, what's up? Are you interested in a trip to the Fields of Glory?"

Having just entered the Hall, Thalion hears his name being called and turns to see a familiar face, "Alexander, my friend, how are you!? Not much, I just recently returned from quest at the Marketplace - we could have really used your help back there, I might add. Yes, I am interested in going to the Fields of Glory, very much so in fact, only not at the present time. I have heard some disturbing news recently and would like to be here for the moment - to see if I can find out something more. You remember when we were in the Hovels, and when we fought Mephisto below the city!? It seems the other two demons, who's tablets we found there, might not be gone after all..."

Having just entered the Hall, Thalion hears his name being called and turns to see a familiar face, "Alexander, my friend, how are you!? Not much, I just recently returned from quest at the Marketplace - we could have really used your help back there, I might add. Yes, I am interested in going to the Fields of Glory, very much so in fact, only not at the present time. I have heard some disturbing news recently and would like to be here for the moment - to see if I can find out something more. You remember when we were in the Hovels, and when we fought Mephisto below the city!? It seems the other two demons, who's tablets we found there, might not be gone after all..."

"I'm fine, I was in R'kilf to pacekeeping. I remember the fight against Mephisto, interesting news..."

Arthur's ears perk up at a name he'd hoped he'd never hear again. "Did someone mention Mephisto? Is he back already?!? Why won't that thing just stay banished..." He stands up and looks for the source. "Dear gods...Thalion Dwinlas, is that you? Good lord, you've changed a lot since our last Quest together! I see you followed my example for an Advanced Class." Arthur raises his shield. "I've changed a bit, too." He grins. "Come on over here, I have some friends I'd like you to meet. We were just forming a team to visit the Fields of Glory, are you interested in joining us?"

"I think 180 gold it's fair." says Alexander giving the Duplovian helmet of the guard to Monk Pretzel and taking 180 gold from him.

"Splendid then. Where are you from Master...? I hear you speaking of R'kilf, are you from there?"

I hand Alexander 180 gold and take the Duplovian Helmet.

Arthur's ears perk up at a name he'd hoped he'd never hear again. "Did someone mention Mephisto? Is he back already?!? Why won't that thing just stay banished..." He stands up and looks for the source. "Dear gods...Thalion Dwinlas, is that you? Good lord, you've changed a lot since our last Quest together! I see you followed my example for an Advanced Class." Arthur raises his shield. "I've changed a bit, too." He grins. "Come on over here, I have some friends I'd like you to meet. We were just forming a team to visit the Fields of Glory, are you interested in joining us?"

Thalion looks around and spots another familiar face, "Master Arthur!? Yes it is me." He takes of his hood, and smiles widely. "Actually, I haven't changed the bit, we elves are like that - quick to adapt but very slow to change." He chuckles. "Aye, I did follow your example indeed, but I have to say, you did change quite a bit - with all that shiny, new equipment. Lead the way, I am always glad to meet new, fellow heroes." He turned, "Alexander, my friend, I'll see you later."

"Aye, I did follow your example indeed,

"Follow his example? If it's all the same, he strikes me more as having knight qualities while you have the qualities of an...er...slinker, if you know what I mean."

"Follow his example? If it's all the same, he strikes me more as having knight qualities while you have the qualities of an...er...slinker, if you know what I mean."

"Actually, it is not all the same; as master Arthur wasn't always a "knight in shining armor", if you know what I mean. When we first met, he was a slinker too - whatever that might be..." Thalion replies with a smile.

Thalion looks around and spots another familiar face, "Master Arthur!? Yes it is me." He takes of his hood, and smiles widely. "Actually, I haven't changed the bit, we elves are like that - quick to adapt but very slow to change." He chuckles. "Aye, I did follow your example indeed, but I have to say, you did change quite a bit - with all that shiny, new equipment. Lead the way, I am always glad to meet new, fellow heroes." He turned, "Alexander, my friend, I'll see you later."

"I hope we will have the occasion to quest together in the next future, Thalion." says smiling Alexander.

"Splendid then. Where are you from Master...? I hear you speaking of R'kilf, are you from there?"

I hand Alexander 180 gold and take the Duplovian Helmet.

"No, I'm not from R'kilf, I was here with fellow heroes, Master Arthur, Lady Nerwen and Lord Boomingham, to make a peacekeeping mission, a mission we accomplished with good result."

Karie watches as another fellow walked over and sat down, pulling his hood off.

"Hehe, I can relate to owning a hood. Must get pretty stuffy under all that, eh? Name's Karie. And typically I've got a cat with me, but I figure she's sitting at home doing cat related activities."

She holds her hand out.

"So, you three that just sat down, what's new? Anything of interest? Arthur, I know you've been off for awhile, so how about telling me of your daring exploits?"

"So, you three that just sat down, what's new? Anything of interest? Arthur, I know you've been off for awhile, so how about telling me of your daring exploits?"

"Well, there's not much more to say. Quest in R'klif only lasted a few days, but thanks to the Veterans and their time-glitches, we ended up missing for nearly five months. I come back home, ready for work and a well-earned promotion I'd heard was coming my way, only to find Patricia had fired me." He rolls his eyes. "Ended up going out to Bric'bay for a couple of days. From the sound of things, I'd just missed Lord Knyghton--Sir Leofard said he had some business to attend to in Eubric. Anyway, he gave me this--" Arthur pulls his off his coat-of-arms, revealing an elegant red shirt furred collar, fastened with a brooch bearing the head of a lion. "--and told me that next time Luke was around to patch us up, he'd teach me to become a Skirmisher in their ranks." Arthur leaves the armor beside him, relishing the temporary freedom from the heavy, constricting metal. "It's nice to know that some people will appreciate what you've done for them--unlike some people in this town." Arthur shakes his head.

Edited by Flipz

Scheherazade was opening a window to let the cool winter breeze into the Hall when a rooster flew in from it.

heroicafog-rockytherooster.jpg

"Cock-a-doodle-doo! [i come bearing the names of the next party of heroes to venture into the Fields of Glory!]"

Chosen participants to Unlimited Quest: Fields of Glory:

~Avalanche, Level 8 Barbarian (Dragonfire)

~Romulus Dean, Level 21 2/3 Raider (TheBoyWonder) *Party Leader*

~Alexander Vandangant, Level 19 Hunter (Wedge09)

~Monk Pretzel, Level 23 1/3 Paladin (Palathadric)

QM Note: Sorry, Flipz & co, but I decided to take the less experienced party into the Fields this time for that very reason - they are less experienced.

Karie shakes her head.

"Even when the watch does have someone useful, they go off and fire them. Typical.

Not much happened to me. Demons, being badgered and berated by heroes, more demons, except with the Syndicate this time, the usual. You ever met Dyric and Thothwick? Idiots, the two of them... Thothwick in particular. He's the most two faced, pretentious, self righteous..."

Scheherazade was opening a window to let the cool winter breeze into the Hall when a rooster flew in from it.

heroicafog-rockytherooster.jpg

"Cock-a-doodle-doo! [i come bearing the names of the next party of heroes to venture into the Fields of Glory!]"

Chosen participants to Unlimited Quest: Fields of Glory:

Not Karie's crew

Karie tosses a hard candy at the rooster, looking bored.

"Well, best we get cozy, I got a feeling we'll be here awhile. I'm up for a game of cards or dice if anyone's got anything? Anyone up for hot apple cider? The hard variety, of course?"

Edited by Kintobor

Romulus notices the chicken come in with their names.

"Tool up, get your weapons ready. We are going to the fields."

"Well, there's not much more to say. Quest in R'klif only lasted a few days, but thanks to the Veterans and their time-glitches, we ended up missing for nearly five months. I come back home, ready for work and a well-earned promotion I'd heard was coming my way, only to find Patricia had fired me." He rolls his eyes. "Ended up going out to Bric'bay for a couple of days. From the sound of things, I'd just missed Lord Knyghton--Sir Leofard said he had some business to attend to in Eubric. Anyway, he gave me this--" Arthur pulls his off his coat-of-arms, revealing an elegant red shirt furred collar, fastened with a brooch bearing the head of a lion. "--and told me that next time Luke was around to patch us up, he'd teach me to become a Skirmisher in their ranks." Arthur leaves the armor beside him, relishing the temporary freedom from the heavy, constricting metal. "It's nice to know that some people will appreciate what you've done for them--unlike some people in this town." Arthur shakes his head.

I open my eyes wide and put down my glass.

"You? Fired? Was there any mention of why, Arthur? You helped them take down Dozenhands, for Helvetia's sake..."

Not much happened to me. Demons, being badgered and berated by heroes, more demons, except with the Syndicate this time, the usual.

"Demons - nasty things. Did they seem to be working for Mephisto or the like? I believe Althior told me about them once... Eyeballcloids, right?"

Karie watches as another fellow walked over and sat down, pulling his hood off.

"Hehe, I can relate to owning a hood. Must get pretty stuffy under all that, eh? Name's Karie. And typically I've got a cat with me, but I figure she's sitting at home doing cat related activities."

She holds her hand out.

Thalion shakes Karie's hand, "Thalion Dwinlas, a pleasure to meet you. And speaking of animals, up until recently I had a turtle with me, until I found his home, so I can relate to that.", he says with a smile and a wink.

"You? Fired? Was there any mention of why, Arthur? You helped them take down Dozenhands, for Helvetia's sake..."

"Demons - nasty things. Did they seem to be working for Mephisto or the like? I believe Althior told me about them once... Eyeballcloids, right?"

"Most likely for reason's why I don't like them."

Karie takes a swig of her juice before continuing.

"No, I have no clue who this Mephisto is. What's he, some arch demon or something?

But whatever this Mephisto is, I'm not as scared about him as these Oculoids. They can read people's minds, and use there darkest secrets against them. They did a good number on me... without using any weapons. They can suck the souls out of people and change their appearance once they've done so, as well as possess them. Me and Althior though, we did them in for now. Although, their still around. My last quest solidified that.

It's been nagging at me since yesterday. The thought of what they did under the lighthouse. They were taking people, abducting them... and turning them into... these things. Similar to them, yet like slaves. Killing machines. They went through at least five others before... they perfected the only one left alive after... I'm sorry, I can't go on. I think I'll be sick if I do. Bottom line, they're out there, and these laboratories are too. I almost kept me up last night."

Karie slumps a bit, obviously worried, she begins to take a few of the candies and stuffs them in her mouth.

Thalion shakes Karie's hand, "Thalion Dwinlas, a pleasure to meet you. And speaking of animals, up until recently I had a turtle with me, until I found his home, so I can relate to that.", he says with a smile and a wink.

Karie stops eating and turns to Thailon. She giggles, swallowing her food.

"Well, aren't you a charmer? I'm already taken, if that was your intention."

I bite my lip as Karie describes the horrid creatures, and what they were doing. What was Heroica against...? Things were starting to look bleaker than ever... I turn to Arthur.

"That's... That's horrible, Karie.

I'm guessing you are more well versed in the knowledge of demons than I - I haven't fought any. Mind reading, shape changing, cruelty towards humans... Ringing any bells?"

Edited by Endgame

Avalanche looks rather puzzled at the sight of the rooster, then realises what he is saying, "Alright! I'll be there as soon as I can!" He rushes out of the Hall, eager to face whatever challenges were in store for him.

Karie shakes her head.

"Even when the watch does have someone useful, they go off and fire them. Typical.

Not much happened to me. Demons, being badgered and berated by heroes, more demons, except with the Syndicate this time, the usual. You ever met Dyric and Thothwick? Idiots, the two of them... Thothwick in particular. He's the most two faced, pretentious, self righteous..."

Arthur raises an eyebrow. "Really? Dyric's one of the most tolerant and respectful people I know--Hel, he befriended me back when I considered myself a rival to Zoot himself, and from what I've heard he was one of the only ones suggesting the party not leave me to die while I was unconscious. And Thothwick...well, I'm not sure what to think of him. At first I thought he was a judgemental prick, what with his self-righteous attitude towards Witches and all...but then I saw what evils Witches can wreak. I will never, ever forgive Atramor for killing our friends down in the Temple of Zoot, nor for leaving Triad to die, and I'm told he murdered other innocents in Dastan, including taking arms against another party of Heroes and blowing up most of his own troops in his mad assault on the others. And that's not even counting Baba brainwashing the leaders of the Houses to do her bidding..." Arthur shrugs. He seems not to have noticed Karie's new class. "I don't know if his witch hunt is exactly the best thing, but I know he's got reason for it--and he's definitely not heartless. When many of us, Heroes and allies alike, lay on the floor of the temple beneath this Hall, he was the only one who bothered to check to see if I was still alive." He pauses to consider. "Then again, it was his advice that led me to want to join the Watch..." He shrugs, not sure himself what his feelings were about the Metasimian.

"Most likely for reason's why I don't like them."

"'Dereliction of Duty' and being 'Absent Without Official Leave.' Which is rich, considering Lillith did, in fact, order me to take some time off to find myself." He snorts. "Why you don't like Patricia, Karie. I spoke to many other Watchmen during my time with them and at the Barracks, you know. There are a sizable chunk--a few high-rankers included--who feel the same way as me about Kayla's death. I'm starting to wonder if the root of the problem lies at the head of the Watch, not at its branches. A regime change might be in order if they keep it up."

Karie takes a swig of her juice before continuing.

"No, I have no clue who this Mephisto is. What's he, some arch demon or something?

But whatever this Mephisto is, I'm not as scared about him as these Oculoids. They can read people's minds, and use there darkest secrets against them. They did a good number on me... without using any weapons. They can suck the souls out of people and change their appearance once they've done so, as well as possess them. Me and Althior though, we did them in for now. Although, their still around. My last quest solidified that.

It's been nagging at me since yesterday. The thought of what they did under the lighthouse. They were taking people, abducting them... and turning them into... these things. Similar to them, yet like slaves. Killing machines. They went through at least five others before... they perfected the only one left alive after... I'm sorry, I can't go on. I think I'll be sick if I do. Bottom line, they're out there, and these laboratories are too. I almost kept me up last night."

Karie slumps a bit, obviously worried, she begins to take a few of the candies and stuffs them in her mouth.

[/color]

I bite my lip as Karie describes the horrid creatures, and what they were doing. What was Heroica against...? Things were starting to look bleaker than ever... I turn to Arthur.

"That's... That's horrible, Karie.

I'm guessing you are more well versed in the knowledge of demons than I - I haven't fought any. Mind reading, shape changing, cruelty towards humans... Ringing any bells?"

Arthur bowed his head and closed his eyes. "The sins of the past," he murmurs. He looks back up at Karie, his eyes somehow a little brighter and yet the pupils more inkily black than they had been a moment before. He reaches into his tunic with his left hand, extracting a quivering, inky orb--the Zoot's Plaything. He turns his hand, allowing the viscous fluid to splatter onto the table before reforming into its orblike form. The sticky black liquid adheres to the cloth wrapped around the wrist and palm, pulling it partly away and revealing a flash of a sickly bright yellow scar before Arthur catches it back up with his other hand, allowing the rest of the sinister ink to relinquish its grip on the gauzy fabric and congeal into its normal existence. "Is that the sort of ink you saw, Karie--Althior?" He looks back and forth between the two faces for confirmation, but can see the truth written in their eyes. "'Congratulations,' you've seen true manifestations of Chaos, of the fabric of the Void."

Arthur releases his breath and allows his head to slump into his hand, elbow resting on the table. He turns an impossibly tired gaze to Sorrow. "Mephisto the Hungry is one of the archdemons of Zoot, the other two being Marilith the Vengeful and Abraxas the Proud, whose favor I once held. Maybe still do--I always have been an arrogant little snotrag, and Abraxas is into that sort of thing. Anyway, the three are some of Zoot's most powerful minions in this world--but do not doubt he has many others. They were sealed in the Temple beneath our feet long, long ago, but Zed and Sycamore Zeigfried released Abraxas long ago as part of their dark necromantic rites. No offense, Sorrow, Althior," he says with a nod to the two. "Althior can tell you more about Abraxas, whom he faced in his first Quest for Heroica, and Thalion here--oh, how rude of me, Thalion, Sorrow the Assassin and Althior the Necromancer, Sorrow and Althior, Thalion Dwinlas, Sorcerer. He's a good friend of mine from my Quest for the Ji Pei. We never did find out if that automaton made it to its buyer, did we?" He chuckles. "Anyhow, Thalion here faced Mephisto in person and helped to banish him back to Zoot, and I ended up beating down a sliver of Mephisto's soul that one of the Old Gods--the Master of Regret, to be precise--decided to capture and feed to this one idiot who consumed it in a mad bid for power. I could give you more detail, entire pages out of the Pandemonicon itself, but I...try not to access those memories unless I have to." He taps his head, a sad smile on his face. "Yeah, I've got my own personal copy. It's what happens if you manage to read the whole thing through, provided you don't lose your sanity. Or Hel, if I'm the example, even if you do. Every bit of it--a never-ending series of sickening images, cants so old they were spoken almost before time itself came into being, inscriptions to powerful spells of unspeakable evil. Everything Karie spoke of, and more, every singe day, sometimes even seeping into your dreams. It's like a scar--the knowledge never leaves your mind."

"And that's all Chaos is, in a way. A series of scars, torn in reality itself to commemorate the enormous transgressions Chaos-users commit against it. Chaos is all about scars, actually, and those marked can never truly escape it." He hesitates, then slowly removes Hans' bandage from his left hand, revealing the horrid marks of his attempt to drain Guffington's Spire of its Chaos. "I got this trying to strengthen myself by draining the power of the Spire of Chaos that Guffington Manor is built around. A lot of the great buildings in this city are built around the Doors to Chaos, you know--they were kept open, just barely, by the Old Gods, allowing the Chaotic power to feed the people around them, elevating them to greatness...and thus, the Houses were born." Arthur's hand twitches and shudders, and he quickly re-wraps it before digging into his pack for his Overkill Gloves and slipping them on. "For my trouble, I got that scar, a mental chat with the three Archdemons from the Temple, and mental scarring to last a lifetime. I'm told I began speaking with a traditional Zootist undertone for a bit, though it was barely perceptible to me."

Arthur sighs heavily. "Long story short, Sorrow, they're bad news, and I once sided with them. If they're back, and if someone's trying to harness them, then it's my job to pay for my sins by facing them--to the end if I have to, and beyond. I have no doubt I'll be drawn into the Void upon my destruction--maybe it's time I took a look into the old rites, see if my spirit can last long enough to make a difference from the other side." To most, Arthur's non-use of the word 'death' might seem normal, but something in his phrasing struck Althior and Sorrow, with their experiences of necromancy, as a little odd.

Edited by Flipz