kyphur

Just made the plunge into LEGO Trains!

Well, my 5 double crossovers arrived this week!

You just drove up the price! (cheapest one now is $59.99) (aargh!).

I used this cable to connect the 9v Train Motor to the PF IR Receiver.

So that it matches I was able to use the decorative side pieces for the 9v Train Motor in Light Grey just like is shown in the instructions for the Super Chief Set except I added the above referenced cable.

snip

Thank you very much, nice pictures! And it runs fine on the plastic track? That is a neat trick :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you very much, nice pictures! And it runs fine on the plastic track? That is a neat trick :thumbup::thumbup:

No problems at all on the plastic track. I've run it over switches, double crossovers, joint Plastic & 9v Track, joint Plastic & ME-Models Track, joint 9v & Me-Models Track.

No problems at all on the plastic track. I've run it over switches, double crossovers, joint Plastic & 9v Track, joint Plastic & ME-Models Track, joint 9v & Me-Models Track.

That is very cool, thank you for sharing this information :classic:

I just completed a deal that will add all of this to my Trains Inventory:

10001-1 Metroliner (Missing MiniFigs, Accessories & Platform)

4511-1 High Speed Train (Missing MiniFigs, Accessories & Platform)

10157-1 High Speed Train Car (Missing MiniFigs & Accessories)

10170-1 TXX Intermodal Double-stack Car

RC Switch Set (1 ea left & right)

RC Curve Track (x35)

RC Straight Track (X14)

4548-1 Transformer and Speed Regulator

Both trains will get converted to PF. Metroliner will get a PF Train Motor since it's boogies and under-carriage hardware are black it will blend in fine. The High Speed Train will get the same treatment I gave my Santa Fe Super Chief. I'll hold on to the Metroliner's 9v train motor, it may be used to convert my BNSF Engine in the same manner as the Super Chief & High Speed Train.

As I'm buying parts on BL I'll pick-up the 16 missing MiniFigs and parts to build the two platforms.

Here is my current Track Inventory:

9volt Track

------------

154 - Curve

178 - Straight

5 - Switch Left

5 - Switch Right

RC/PF Track

------------

127 - Curve

46 - Straight

6 - Switch Left

6 - Switch Right

7 - Double Crossover

64 - Flexible

ME-Models Rail

---------------

8 - Straight

2 - Straight Double

4 - Straight Half

Edited by kyphur

how did you get so much 9v, it is expensive nowadays

Yep, the trick is buying/trading for large lots of it. Most was acquired in just 3 deals!

Yep, the trick is buying/trading for large lots of it. Most was acquired in just 3 deals!

That is great and also true, I hold off on discontinued sets until I find a good deal.

how did you get so much 9v, it is expensive nowadays

No Joke, spent 600 bucks on a large lot last month but it was worth every penny of it

Here is my current Track Inventory:

9V...

PF...

What do you end up using the most? 9V or PF?

What do you end up using the most? 9V or PF?

PF for sure...

I only use the 9v if I don't have enough Plastic & ME Tracks. I have a total of 5 9v Train Motors but they will all be used with PF Receivers & PF to 9v Cables so I don't need to use 9v track.

I like things to look the same and the Double Crossovers are only RC/PF Plastic Track so that's what I prefer to be visible when I can start putting down my layout (after we move in 2 months). Now if I can figure-out a way to pick-up power from metal rails to charge the PF Battery pack then each loop will have a stretch of charging track somewhere in the back and even then I'd prefer to use ME Track over LEGO 9v Track.

PF for sure...

I only use the 9v if I don't have enough Plastic & ME Tracks. I have a total of 5 9v Train Motors but they will all be used with PF Receivers & PF to 9v Cables so I don't need to use 9v track.

If you run all your trains as PF trains, wouldn't it make sense then to sell the 9V stuff and buy all PF stuff?

A 9V motor costs a lot more than a PF motor. Moreover, the PF train motor is a bit more efficient than the 9V train motor, and will probably last longer too (I've had one or two broken 9V motors, but I haven't heard reports of broken PF motors, so PF motors may be sturdier than 9V motors). All combined, even if you have 9V motors, it's more economical to sell them and to use PF motors in your PF trains.

The 9v Motors are coming with the sets, I'm not seekibg them out.

I've thought about selling off all the 9v and just might but gor now the PF Motors are on back order for 3 months so the 9v conversion fills the gap.

I've thought about selling off all the 9v and just might but gor now the PF Motors are on back order for 3 months so the 9v conversion fills the gap.

Yes that is a very long back order, must mean Trains are selling well :thumbup:

I just secured my first 2 Santa Fe Cars! 1 of each set currently built as Dining Car & Baggage Car.

And I have nw secured my second copy of 10025-1! Just need 2 more 10022-1 to complete my Super Chief!

And I have nw secured my second copy of 10025-1! Just need 2 more 10022-1 to complete my Super Chief!

Just remember that the 10022 is more expensive than the 10025 on the aftermarket, you really only need the roof parts and trans-clear macaronis, the rest of the parts are fairly common. You can get a 10025 and turn it into a 10022 fairly easily.

You can get a 10025 and turn it into a 10022 fairly easily.

That's good to know, I'll have to compare the inventory of the 2 sets and just might go that route.

That's good to know, I'll have to compare the inventory of the 2 sets and just might go that route.

Kyphur, how many extra pieces did you need to convert the 2nd set of Passenger Train into coaches for your 1st Passenger Train?

I am planning to do the same but lack the pieces.

Kyphur, how many extra pieces did you need to convert the 2nd set of Passenger Train into coaches for your 1st Passenger Train?

I am planning to do the same but lack the pieces.

You're asking about 7938 right?

First you need to understand that I only built the 2 powered Locomotives, not the unpowered trailing "Dummy" Locos which were 1/2 Passenger car also.

For the second Loco I replaced the IR Receiver with 3 red 2 x 4 bricks, 1 black 2 x 4 plate and 1 black 2 x 2 brick with curved top. I didn't install the battery and I used a brick built boogy in place of the PF Train Motor. So I now had 2 identical looking Locomotives (well one had clear headlights and the other red) except one wasn't powered and the 2 stock Passenger Cars.

From the parts for the 2 Dummy Trailing Locos I was able to build my 3rd Passenger Car per the instructions by adding these parts:

4 - Brick 1 x 2 with Grille dark bluish grey

1 - Tile 2 x 2 Round with MF Vent pattern light bluish grey

1 - Plate 2 x 2 light bluish grey

So now my Passenger Train looks like it has identical Locos at either end and 3 identical cars in the middle.

Thanks Kyphur.

So for your entire train set, you only use one actual powered locomotive to pull the train with an unpowered locomotive at the end?

Does that give your train the power it needs to move?

Thanks Kyphur.

So for your entire train set, you only use one actual powered locomotive to pull the train with an unpowered locomotive at the end?

Does that give your train the power it needs to move?

It has power to spare, the whole thing is pretty light.

Plus I was able to use the PF components in one of my Maersk engines!

It has power to spare, the whole thing is pretty light.

Plus I was able to use the PF components in one of my Maersk engines!

I was planning to do the same. LOL it's funny how you started back into Lego as I started in Star Wars then switched to Trains too. I'll go grab the other Passenger Train set tonight.

Was there a way we could add another coach to the whole set up using the remaining pieces from the 2nd dummy locomotive?

That would mean you have 4 coaches and 2 locomotives instead of 3 coaches and 2 locomotives.

Was there a way we could add another coach to the whole set up using the remaining pieces from the 2nd dummy locomotive?

That would mean you have 4 coaches and 2 locomotives instead of 3 coaches and 2 locomotives.

Nope, not nearly enough parts but I'm happy with 3 cars.