Sign in to follow this  

Iv sourced as some of ye know a 8868 air tech claw truck,I'm a while looking ,and this is the first one to pop up in my country in years,ideally I'd like to buy one with a box but this one has no box,it is in good condition and has printed instructions in colour too.

I'm just curious to know how people feel about buying rare sets without there box,the model is only €60.00 which is not expensive in my eyes.

I really wanted this set for years and this is my opportunity I think even without the box.I'm picking it up in 2 days!

What's people's comments on this?

Also has anyone ever heard of a brand new unopened 8868 in the last few years,that would be great.

Screw the box...I only find them a necessity if you can get it along with the set. What's more important is that you can actually find a rare gem like that for a bargain. LEGO sets were meant to be built and played with, so your objective should be to do just that.

Of course If I stumbled upon a MISB 8868 I would never open it. In recent years I've been getting a MISB specimen then either buying another set or a used one to have as the display model.

Who cares about the box at that kind of a price.

And even if i was to collect the sets i don't really care about the box, sure i save them if available but it is not a requirement.

The box would only seem relevant if you wanted to setup a technic museum with every aspect fo the set visible but in most cases the box goes into a remote storage area until needed.

Also if i was to get a MISB set i would need another used set to actually build the set as a MISB that old would seem like a waste of money to open and drop it's humongous value. So stay away from MISBs, they hinder your building ;)

Edited by Ultimario

8868 is a great set, I never realised how great until I picked it up on ebay, that rotation of the crane on the back of the truck controlled by pneumatic cylinders is a great design, it does not work perfect, but still for Lego to come up with the design is very impressive. Can't recall how much I paid no more than £80 with the box and instructions, but I think it is not over priced like some of the second hand technic sets (Silver Champion, Power Puller).

I personally always want a technic set with the box, I only ever then store the box which is a pain to do.

I think the minimum I would accept on a rare set is no box, but the original instructions must be present, in my opinion without the original instructions you are buying a pile of bricks and in your mind you need to value the bricks in this way, anyone can print off the instructions thanks to the power of the internet.

I think €60 would be top price for that set in the condition you describe, I certainly hope the bricks are nice and clean, and you don't have to spend hours washing the dust from all though technic beams :-)

I guess you have considered ebay plus a little shipping?

Paul

8868 is a great set, I never realised how great until I picked it up on ebay, that rotation of the crane on the back of the truck controlled by pneumatic cylinders is a great design, it does not work perfect, but still for Lego to come up with the design is very impressive. Can't recall how much I paid no more than £80 with the box and instructions, but I think it is not over priced like some of the second hand technic sets (Silver Champion, Power Puller).

I personally always want a technic set with the box, I only ever then store the box which is a pain to do.

I think the minimum I would accept on a rare set is no box, but the original instructions must be present, in my opinion

Paul

Yes I looked at eBay but it's just hastle for me and also they work out expensive,I just seen one a few weeks back that made 190 dollars without a box,I like to display my models also and not box them away,I think I might not get this set this easy again,most on eBay are auction only and make huge money.

Edited by davidmull

Iv sourced as some of ye know a 8868 air tech claw truck,I'm a while looking ,and this is the first one to pop up in my country in years,ideally I'd like to buy one with a box but this one has no box,it is in good condition and has printed instructions in colour too.

I'm just curious to know how people feel about buying rare sets without there box,the model is only €60.00 which is not expensive in my eyes.

I really wanted this set for years and this is my opportunity I think even without the box.I'm picking it up in 2 days!

What's people's comments on this?

Box doesn't matter, you'll love it either way. Same goes for original instructions or printed instructions.

I'd pay only a few dollars more for a set that still has the box and original instructions (because of slightly higher resale value) but in the case of 8868 the box doesn't matter to me because I don't see myself selling my 8868 any time soon.

The build is actually challenging. Make sure to get the tube lengths right (I recommend using a measuring tape). If they're too short then you'll have to take a lot apart to fix it (the fold in my instruction booklet messed up my measurement, the error was perhaps only 1 cm but that was too much).

The rugged look, the sound of the motorized compressor, excellent play value, all in all this thing is awesome, you'll love it.

Box doesn't matter, you'll love it either way. Same goes for original instructions or printed instructions.

I'd pay only a few dollars more for a set that still has the box and original instructions (because of slightly higher resale value) but in the case of 8868 the box doesn't matter to me because I don't see myself selling my 8868 any time soon.

The build is actually challenging. Make sure to get the tube lengths right (I recommend using a measuring tape). If they're too short then you'll have to take a lot apart to fix it (the fold in my instruction booklet messed up my measurement, the error was perhaps only 1 cm but that was too much).

The rugged look, the sound of the motorized compressor, excellent play value, all in all this thing is awesome, you'll love it.

Thanks that's the answer I was waiting for :)

I just picked up my 8868 a few hours ago,it's in great condition but I do have a few things I need to sort out,first iv just finished taking it all apart and iv noticed a few parts were replaced but are the wrong colour!also it was modded with gears instead of the rubber band to drive the compressor so can these rubber bands still be bought??? Also where is the best place to buy the few parts I need to return it to it's original model?

@ davidmull: If you scroll down this Bricklink Parts Inventory for the 8868 set, you will see what rubber bands originally came with the set. If you click on the hyperlinks for those rubber bands, you will get the Bricklink part page. Then, click on the "Price Guide Info" for the correct color you want to see the Bricklink stores that sell those rubber bands.

It looks like you need 2 ea. white x89 "Rubber Belt Large (Round Cross Section) - Approx. 4 x 4". There are a few available, or maybe you have some in your spare parts bin.

x89.gifx89.gif

Edited by DLuders

I don't have many spare parts,I looked it up and it says it's an extra large X90 rubber band in White and I need 2 ,would this be correct luder? Also where will I get other small bits like 2x2 grey brick number 3022 and I need a Hinge plate number 4504 as it's cracked and is on the crane cab?

The correct parts are in that Bricklink Parts Inventory I mentioned in my previous reply. You need 2 ea. x89 white rubber bands, not x90 rubber bands. You can get all of the other broken/missing parts you need by clicking on those part numbers in that inventory and following the procedure I outlined above. You can get everything from some Bricklink store. Try Bricklink -- you'll like it. :classic:

I just picked up my 8868 a few hours ago,it's in great condition but I do have a few things I need to sort out,first iv just finished taking it all apart and iv noticed a few parts were replaced but are the wrong colour!also it was modded with gears instead of the rubber band to drive the compressor so can these rubber bands still be bought??? Also where is the best place to buy the few parts I need to return it to it's original model?

To drive the compressor I think it would be better to use a rubber band. My 8868 came with worn out rubber bands, I replaced them (I found some in my spare lego's, they were a different color, but for rubber bands I think that's OK).

Rubber bands are quite common. You might be able to find a non-lego rubber band of the right length somewhere in your home. If not, then I'm sure you'll be able to find them on bricklink at a low price.

Iv just sourced a perfect condition box + instructions for my 8868 that I recently bought,the only thing is that the yellow tray is in the box but the clear sorting tray is not ;( does anyone else have the clear sorting top tray in there set?I suppose I'm lucky to get the box and yellow tray tho!I'd like to display it as new tho or am I being too fussy?

Iv just sourced a perfect condition box + instructions for my 8868 that I recently bought,the only thing is that the yellow tray is in the box but the clear sorting tray is not ;( does anyone else have the clear sorting top tray in there set?I suppose I'm lucky to get the box and yellow tray tho!I'd like to display it as new tho or am I being too fussy?

You might get lucky, but I doubt that there is anyone that still has that tray, but does not want to keep it in his/her set... :tongue:

You are being far far too fussy. I have endlessly struggled with the debate over 1)completeness of the set (as an investment) vs 2)having the set to enjoy as the toy it was meant to be. The truth is, sometimes its just not worth it to try and "rebuild" each set just because you started with most of it. I understand what you are trying to do with making the white bricks white but trying to have the most complete USED box is just going too far. The only way to ensure that you have a completely accurate and perfect example is to buy MISB...but then you don't enjoy the model for what it really is. Its funny that you mention this exact set as I also just had an encounter with one. Up until recently I owned 4 examples of 8868 none I paid less than 100 dollars for. Two I purchased on Bricklink, 1 on ebay, and 1 more I tried to "rebuild" from a junkyard lot on ebay (thank GOD the small pneumatic cylinder was present or else financially it just wasn't going to happen). Anyway, just a month ago I saw a post online (craigslist) for 8868 for 50 bucks (box,instructions,tray perfect and unused sticker sheet). Sure enough, the cleanest and most perfect copy I now own was just a random find online. My point is this...do you want to collect the legos because you want to have an investment? or because you love the toy and even used models tend to not LOSE value.

I personally have still not figured that out...and continue to live by "the more the merrier" :laugh:

Besides, boxes are worthless for anything but the investment in legos...and taking up wayyyy too much space.

You are being far far too fussy. I have endlessly struggled with the debate over 1)completeness of the set (as an investment) vs 2)having the set to enjoy as the toy it was meant to be. The truth is, sometimes its just not worth it to try and "rebuild" each set just because you started with most of it. I understand what you are trying to do with making the white bricks white but trying to have the most complete USED box is just going too far. The only way to ensure that you have a completely accurate and perfect example is to buy MISB...but then you don't enjoy the model for what it really is. Its funny that you mention this exact set as I also just had an encounter with one. Up until recently I owned 4 examples of 8868 none I paid less than 100 dollars for. Two I purchased on Bricklink, 1 on ebay, and 1 more I tried to "rebuild" from a junkyard lot on ebay (thank GOD the small pneumatic cylinder was present or else financially it just wasn't going to happen). Anyway, just a month ago I saw a post online (craigslist) for 8868 for 50 bucks (box,instructions,tray perfect and unused sticker sheet). Sure enough, the cleanest and most perfect copy I now own was just a random find online. My point is this...do you want to collect the legos because you want to have an investment? or because you love the toy and even used models tend to not LOSE value.

I personally have still not figured that out...and continue to live by "the more the merrier" :laugh:

Besides, boxes are worthless for anything but the investment in legos...and taking up wayyyy too much space.

Thanks for ur post and well said,personally I'm a bit of a perfectionist so like things to be rite,I see ur point tho and yes I do like to build and display but I also like very rare things like this set,I also always wanted this as a child but just couldn't afford it at the time,me personally I would love a new 8868 for collection not for sale,I seen 2 new sets on brick link for 500 euro but the seals are broke on the box,s so to me that's not new even tho everything is still bagged,I really would love a new untouched one but that's unlikely with a set 19 years old.if I got a 100% new one unopened I would pay good money no problem.

The parts tray in this set is actually kind of neat, although I wouldn't pay extra for it. It showcases all the pneumatic and electric parts. This set had a larger quantity of pneumatic parts than anything else at its time, and for many years afterwards.