The Real Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Holy Grail

"Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Holy Grail" is Part Two of my little trilogy. This is an alternate re-build of set 7572 - Quest Against Time. Like I said, when I build, I always like to create things that look like real sets that LEGO might design and sell for real on the shelf. It gives me that feeling we all got as kids on Christmas or on our bithday, which is next week for me!

Naturally, you can build all of these yourself easily with Lego Digital Designer, a few Bricklink orders, and a few elements from BrickArms and BrickForge... And if you make more improvements, go ahead and post the pictures here as a reply... or if you have any other ideas or thoughts, post them here and I will respond after my birthday!

5520273360_297e8bd8c2_b.jpg

I remember the moment I first saw the Prince of Persia set Quest Against Time, it seemed pretty clear to me that it must have been based on an unused blueprint or a prototype of a Temple of the Holy Grail set. Perhaps TLG balked because of the overtly religious imagery? Whatever their reason, a lot of people have been clamoring for a Grail Temple to complete the Trifecta. So here it is, with a full crew of ten minifigs, five of which were never officially released! Yup, Marcus, Sallah, Henry Senior, Colonel Vogel, the Germans, Donovan, Overtly Evil Elsa, Indy, and the Grail Knight are all here... It's a packed house, standing room only... um, unless you have just been shot or had the life drained out of you by the almighty!

5520278608_2ee3688305_b.jpg

Aside from an extra pair of nougat-colored lion-heads, almost all of the architectural elements here are made with just the original pieces in the official Prince of Persia set rearranged. I made it so the housing for the bladed booby traps are the bodies of the large stone lions seen in the Last Crusade. I also added some bones, a candelabra from Hogwarts, and a variety of deceptive chalices. I thought about making stickers for the tiles to spell out the letters in the name of God, as seen in the movie, either seven letters in Latin, or just four spelled in Hebrew... but that seemed too academic, too religious, and therefore, too un-LEGO-like!

5519692463_dcc7dc407d_b.jpg

Deeper within the temple, the architectural style changes from Petra Nabataean to Crusader fortifications. Indy and the Grail Knight look on as Overtly Evil Elsa contemplates various vessels. She does not intend to repeat Donovan's fatal mistake... I for one hope not, cause sure she is Evil, but hey she's hot! Will she choose wisely or poorly? Will our heroes gain immortality, or will the forces of darkness prevail over the Earth? On that note, you could also easily use this exact same set as a ready-made parts-pack to make an "Ark Opening Ceremony" from Raiders, using the light-up-brick to unleash the Power of the Almighty!

If you do that, I dare say it would deserve its own thread...!

All right Kids, Fortune and Glory!

"The_Real_Indy"

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

sorry im a little confused by your descriptions concerning the prototype, those minifigs you'v included are from a prototype of the grail temple which has a similar basis and structure to the pop set?

do you have any pics of this prototype?

These are really nice custom figures you have there. :thumbup:

As for the set, it isn't altered enough for my taste but the execution is pretty good. Some nice DVD's btw :wink:

As a fan of LEGO Indiana Jones, I was somewhat torn over LEGO Prince of Persia. One the one hand, reportedly it was for this theme that LEGO Indy was put on hiatus to make room in TLG's product lineup (as the two themes were supposedly considered similar enough that LEGO didn't really want to be doing both at the same time), and I was honestly not just disappointed but a little miffed that they'd take a terrific theme based on a classic movie series and put it on ice to make way for what I guessed would be a short-lived theme based on a new videogame-based movie that I also guessed would come and go without making much of a dent in the popular cultural consciousness. On the other, the new theme turned out not only to be absolutely terrific (and even the movie itself better than I'd expected, IMO), but the theme also turned out to be in many ways a great source of material for Indy. There's so much here that's really useful for Indiana Jones (including elements that might well have actually been designed for Indy first, but wound up debuting in PoP instead).

I, too, noticed how particularly well-suited so much of Quest Against Time turned out to be for recreating the Grail temple from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, enough so that partway through assembling the set myself I felt compelled to put on the Last Crusade soundtrack to listen to while I finished putting the set together. Like the OP, I plan to eventually use substantial portions of this set (perhaps not even just elements, but sections of construction) in my own Grail temple eventually, though I haven't gotten around to it yet. Nice to see someone else doing it, though.

:classic:

As a fan of LEGO Indiana Jones, I was somewhat torn over LEGO Prince of Persia. One the one hand, reportedly it was for this theme that LEGO Indy was put on hiatus to make room in TLG's product lineup (as the two themes were supposedly considered similar enough that LEGO didn't really want to be doing both at the same time), and I was honestly not just disappointed but a little miffed that they'd take a terrific theme based on a classic movie series and put it on ice to make way for what I guessed would be a short-lived theme based on a new videogame-based movie that I also guessed would come and go without making much of a dent in the popular cultural consciousness. On the other, the new theme turned out not only to be absolutely terrific (and even the movie itself better than I'd expected, IMO), but the theme also turned out to be in many ways a great source of material for Indy. There's so much here that's really useful for Indiana Jones (including elements that might well have actually been designed for Indy first, but wound up debuting in PoP instead).

:classic:

Again, thanks for the feedback!

And yes, all of the Prince of Persia sets, the Pharaoh's Quest sets, and the Ninjago sets are just giving us tons of new temples and locations for Indy to explore.

I just buy flesh-colored heads on bricklink to replace all the yellow-heads, and then it's just like having a brand new set for Indy!

I am sure they will give us at least five or six great archaeological/exploration-themed sets per year.

Indy Lives On!!

:laugh:

I am REALLY nitpicking here but if you really wanted to make it how LEGO makes stuff (I love to do this too) then use all one type of color. (ex. dark bley not dark grey) I see some dark grey on the Grail Knight's pants. And I'm not to wild about Elsa and the Nazi Officer's faces either but they are ok. I'm also flaky on the brickarms weapons.

Edited by montyofmusic

This looks like a great MOD, but could you post a few more pics? It just seems hard to make out some details.

To be honest, this looks way to much like the original set you modded it from, I see a little bit of work done on "beefing" it up, and a few pieces switched here and there. But all in all, it just looks like the same thing. Your figures look okay, but that Mando face looks creepy on anyone :sceptic: . If I were you, I would go about this in a totally different way. Take out the traps that you want to use, then start from scratch with your pieces, and put the traps in as you see fit. Also, I don't see the floor, which I guess would be really hard to do, or the leap from the lions head, which shouldn't be that hard if you have some trans clear pieces. I hope you keep working on this, I would love to see a decent looking Grail temple. Oh, and maybe do a front entrance/ facade

I am REALLY nitpicking here but if you really wanted to make it how LEGO makes stuff (I love to do this too) then use all one type of color. (ex. dark bley not dark grey) I see some dark grey on the Grail Knight's pants. And I'm not to wild about Elsa and the Nazi Officer's faces either but they are ok. I'm also flaky on the brickarms weapons.

To be honest, this looks way to much like the original set you modded it from, I see a little bit of work done on "beefing" it up, and a few pieces switched here and there. But all in all, it just looks like the same thing. Your figures look okay, but that Mando face looks creepy on anyone :sceptic: . If I were you, I would go about this in a totally different way. Take out the traps that you want to use, then start from scratch with your pieces, and put the traps in as you see fit. Also, I don't see the floor, which I guess would be really hard to do, or the leap from the lions head, which shouldn't be that hard if you have some trans clear pieces. I hope you keep working on this, I would love to see a decent looking Grail temple. Oh, and maybe do a front entrance/ facade

OK, well if you run out to Target and grab this set on clearance for $30... Then you can make it however you like and post some photos!

I am going to move on to creating cool new exotic scenes from Indy/Lego Indy/Tomb Raider video games.

We especially need more Indian/Himalayan/East Asian locales to give balance.

Possibly also Africa, Cambodia, and Polynesia...

Have Fun!

Indy

This set is on sale at Amazon for $24 w/free shipping...I'm going to create my own Modded Grail Temple scene, thanks for the inspiration.