Bart

LDD WIP

lately I got the urge (so to say) to create something, so I fooled around with LLD a bit, and came up with this,

5512521339_c700c0445d.jpg

its 32 studs wide, using a 3 studs to 1 meter scale that is about 10 meters

because I liked what I did, I continued and came up with this;

5513117176_54210dda7e.jpg

what do you think about the lines?

and I was in doubt about what distance the frames should be apart.

* with that scale I decided to make it 140 studs long (46m)

Bart

edit; the lxf file (its in universe)

Edited by Bart

May I use it as a base for a MOC, I Really like the overall shape

sure you can

I don't have a problem with it

its far from finished, so its likely the end result will be different

Bart

The shape doesn't look bad. It's funny to see those minifigs upside down :pir_laugh2:

What kind of ship are you trying to make? Some examples of ships of about 46 metres are this and this one.

started to work at the stern but I'm stuck,

I can't realy decided how to let the stern rise (from the keel)

5514053165_0c82a4b2a2.jpg

the blue line represents the waterline,

at the moment I'm leaning towards the green shape, but maybe I have to move the point where the hull goes up more forward.

I also came up with a waterline (in the horizontal view) wich I think came out very nice

5514648232_eac7ef1c00.jpg

on top of that I mirrored the curve from the bow and added some frames;

it looks good IMO but I miss a upward curve (of the deck) so maybe ill redo it abit

5514056853_9063646a1b.jpg

thanks for the links Admiral Croissant, I'm not sure what it will be, switching between frigate and a third rate at the moment,

as usually I didn't plan anything and just started to build

Bart

(edit typo)

Edited by Bart

Looks nice so far, i like the size and the shape is very good IMO. I would make it 2 or 3 decker ship because if the size. I wish you luck whit this mate, keep it up.

Captain Becker

This is cool, LDD is always good for trying techniques as you have unlimited bricks, it would be funny to see how much that cost :pir_laugh2:! The hull ribbing is cool, it will be interesting when your cover it over.

While I'm generally not too fond of LDD creations because of their mediocre quality and a low chance of ever being build with real bricks, yours clearly stands out, Bart! :thumbup:

It looks like a well planned study about the hull design of a ship of the line in Lego; and it's easily recognizable as such due to your precise work! I very much wish this is just the beginning of a much bigger project, hopefully in real bricks. For me it clearly looks like a 3rd rate, not a frigate!

By the way, those minifigures upside down ARE funny!

thanks for the kind replies :pir-sweet:

I decided to change the bow, so the beam(?) will be straight while the shape of the hull stays curved.

5516659809_39a1fd8ae0.jpg

I had a look at a lot of pictures and I figured that is the way to go.

Also did some work on the stern, but I'm not happy with it, the curve doesn't come out right, first in then out and then in again, have to re-do that to make it a single out in.

5516659867_f1a7eca185.jpg

I think you see what I mean.

also the stern has to change so it curves over the rudder and angles slightly back.

(after the comments) I decided to make it a ship of the line, think I will put bigger MOC/D cannons on the lower gun deck, the Lego cannons on the main gun deck, and then smaller MOC/D on the weather and quarter decks.

inspiration?

Bart

P.S. I'll be off for the weekend so don't expect anything till next week

Looks excellent.

Comparing it to the model ship, the only tip I can give is making the figurehead/bow beam thing more horizontal. It's too steep now IMO.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to the next update again :pir-classic:

I've been busy

5526060715_e0d8efca4d.jpg

I finished the frames, maybe some fine tuning to do.

5526653886_611e79fac4.jpg

the stern is angled back and inward, and hanging over the rudder

5526653984_ae98757b2b.jpg

rear view

Also did some work on my plans for the cannons,

5525958520_1bca28cc60.jpg

from left too right

1, 32 pound long barrel

2, 32 pound short barrel

3, 12 pound

4, 3 pound

5, carronade

(it can be possible this is done before. I don't know.)

It looked good already but the brown makes it look even more realstic. Good job.

Your ships looks quite similar to this one:

3557035515_d65cb26dfb.jpg?v=0

(link)

So in that case, your ship is becoming a 50 to 74 gun ship (you decide) of the period 1760-1820.

If the horizontal lines will become the decks, I'd suggest to make them a bit more curved.

I would also remove the forecastle, but keep the railings a bit higher than amidships.

The cannons are very nice by the way. I've seen the black barrel used before but using them for normal cannons (non-carronades) is new to me.

The short carronad you made is perhaps a bit too short, although the used techniques are good and the telescope fits very well there.

And I think the black barrel on your short barreled cannon makes it look too much like a carronade, but on the long barrel that's not the case IMO.

And my last suggestion is to make the part where the figurehead is attachted to, more curved, like on the picture I showed you.

Good luck. Keep up this great piece of work :thumbup:

Now thats is just awesome! I envy your LDD skills. Really like the shape and the brown makes the ship looks like real. Mind handling an LXF file whit us so at we can take a better look at it? Keep it up

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

here is the lxf file,

actually I was a bit afraid to put it in brown because it became a bit more difficult to distinguish the frames then in red.

I haven't decided the number of cannons yet, just see what fits best

and the curved deck is on to do list, but I wanted the overall shape first so I could see how far they had to go,

and the forecastle will go yes, it doesn't fit.

I'm also not sure yet on how the best way is to put the decks in, because I want those studs up and ..ehm.. well everything is studs down at the moment.

Bart

I'm also not sure yet on how the best way is to put the decks in, because I want those studs up and ..ehm.. well everything is studs down at the moment.

That shouldnt be a problem, there are so called "Super-bricks" Or so i call them :pir-tongue: These are the easiest way to do it IMO, just use these bricks.

lddscreenshot2.png

And as for the cannons, i would use this cannon desing to make the bigger guns, and Matteos one in making the cannon between in real LEGO cannon and the small mortar. I wish you luck

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

"Super-bricks"

maybe you recall my upside down minifig's, I used them to measure the height, so I don't realy have the space for "super-bricks"..

Bart

maybe you recall my upside down minifig's, I used them to measure the height, so I don't realy have the space for "super-bricks"..

Bart

lddscreenshot40.png

I use both of these methods to flip the bricks. I sometimes end up with a weird height offset, but the way I place my decks you usually can't tell.

thanks for the tips,

I didn't work on it yet, but in my mind I'm thinking out a way to use the hinges, one end in the frames, the other the start of the beams.

also made a start with the planking. think I started on one of the most difficult spots, in curves well in every direction and as I prever to use as small as steps possible i.e. ½ a stud, it is a bit complicated

5534662778_211b340bb1.jpg

Bart

two posts :pir-oh3: ? YES :pir-tongue:

after posting the previus i suddenly knew how to turn the decks so i copied out a frame and made a model;

5534218895_a80d7d1cda.jpg

(click it to enlarge)

I also added the cannons to see how it looks, it looks like the lower gun deck is lower the the one above, that is not the case, the bigger cannon is actualy floating a few studs above the deck (down side of LDD) because of the wheels and ..... you get it.

Bart

Looking good. The part beneath the stern is indeed very difficult (one of the reasons I've only made waterline models so far :pirate: )

But it's a fine challenge and you're doing very well so far.

My only small tip is to make the rudder a bit smaller. I'd make it 4-5 studs long instead of six.

Are you planning to build this in real when it's finished? Would be great :thumbup:

Are you planning to build this in real when it's finished? Would be great :thumbup:

I hope, that I have the space and the money for it somewhere in the near future :)

But first lets build further in LDD,

Because I'm bored quickly, so instead of turning all the decks when I found a way or finish the planking, I did something else, I turned my attention to the bow.

5546545286_9601e59f9b.jpg

5545963615_6557e40f92.jpg

Two more pictures from another angle on my flicker, click

Bart

hello, here I am again :wink:

I did something else again, I added the masts, therefore I used/copied an hexagon design I've seen on this forum somewhere, I only couldn't find it back.

5546987373_db20c20ddc.jpg

my intention is to give the masts two extensions. giving it three sails per mast.

The only thing is, how high are masts (compared to the length of the ships hull) ?

Bart

i thin the mast (Specially the middle mast) Should be longer yet,. and the last one should be shorther and the middle mast, also the front mast was a little bit lower than the middle one. Id say you should again watch some pictures about HMS Victory and see yourself.

Right now the mast are quite good looking, keep it up.

EDIT: oh, and if you want some inspiration about the ship interior, theres a good shot over here. Again this is from HMS Victory, wich is very smiliar to your ship.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker