DLuders

"Squish" Lego Tires to Make Them Taller & Thinner

Kubrick posted these Brickshelf images of using different wheels to "squish" :wacko: the big 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44 R Balloon" into a taller, thinner shape. Normally (according to the Bricklink "Tire on Wheel Relationship" Match #280, a single 44772 "Wheel 56mm D. x 34mm Technic Racing Medium" is used for that tire. See the two pictures below:

54120.jpg44772.1106083756.jpg

However, sometimes a Lego Technic vehicle looks funny with the fat ballooon tires. There is a way of making a taller, thinner tire profile with the 54120 balloon tire. Kubrick suggests using two 2903 "Wheel 81.6 x 15 Motorcycle":

2903.jpg2903.jpg2903.png

I tried his technique with my spare parts, and the overall height of the tire changes from 94.8 mm to ~97.5 mm (3% greater) when using his technique. The width of the tire can be clamped down, to decrease the size from 42 mm to 35 mmm (17% thinner): :thumbup: The trick is to set the tire on the SECOND rib from the edge (not the outermost rib). Here is the side-by-side comparison by Kubrick:

img_7040.jpgimg_7044.jpgimg_7043.jpg

Although the height of the tire doesn't change much, the thinner width may look more attractive (and suitable) for street-going Lego Technic vehicles. 3626bpx114.jpg

When I saw this on BS yesterday, I was happy because it looks like a cheaper version of efferman's solution (94.8 tires on the 8448 rims).

I will use this for sure.

i see only one problem. the pivot point of the steering is extremely wide from the tire away. nothing for me

But it can be used for non steered axles. I am going to use this solution for pneumatic backhoe. I am trying to recreate another solution for this kind of squished tire. Will post it here if I succeed.

It can be done using alternative parts.

I used something similar as Jerrec on his tractor, but i used just 62.4x20 tire and rim, 8x8 dish, and axle with pulley wheels to block sliding the 62.4 tire off big 94.8 tire.

That way the tire has 98mm diameter, and width of 38mm.

It can be done using alternative parts.

I used something similar as Jerrec on his tractor, but i used just 62.4x20 tire and rim, 8x8 dish, and axle with pulley wheels to block sliding the 62.4 tire off big 94.8 tire.

That way the tire has 98mm diameter, and width of 38mm.

Milan, do you have any pictures of this? I just tried building a tire this way, and my overall diameter isn't much larger than the 94.8 tires. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Also, what is the "axle with pulley wheels"?

Milan, do you have any pictures of this? I just tried building a tire this way, and my overall diameter isn't much larger than the 94.8 tires. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Also, what is the "axle with pulley wheels"?

First, look closely at the pictures in the link, thats how 8x8 dish and 62.4 tire should be fixed on the 94.8...

When you put these parts together, use long axle, lets say axle 8 with stop to connect 62.4 and dish and push those two parts toward each other until you have thin 94.8 tire.

Than use pulley wheel 4185.jpg?0 on the axle close to dish, to prevent 8x8 dish from sliding of the setup.

The overall diameter wont be bigger (maybe 3mm), but width of the tire has significantly decreased. Note that I am not using chains as Jerrec did.

Milan, is this the correct combination to make Jerrec's wheel/tire setup? Left-to-right, should one thread an x1739 "Technic, Axle 8 with Stop" through a 3961 "Dish 8 x 8 Inverted (Radar)", then through a 4185 "Technic Wedge Belt Wheel (Pulley)" and a 32020 "Wheel 62.4 x 20"? Then, should one mount the 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44 R Balloon" onto the wheel and clamp the backside of the wheel/tire assembly with 3713 Technic Bush? Did you use the 86652 "Wheel 62.4 x 20 with Short Axle Hub" (the beige wheel shown both sides in the last picture below) instead of the 32020 wheel?

x1739.jpg3961.gif4185.jpg32020.jpg

54120.jpg3713.gif

86652.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Squeeze 62.4 tire with wheel in a side of the 94.8 tire, on the other side put 8x8 dish.

Put axle 8 with stop through dish and wheel, so the "stop" part of the axle is on the dish.

Squish parts to make tire thin, and put two Wedge Belt Wheels on the axle on the side where the 62.4 wheel is.

Then use two Wedge Belt Wheels to act like a nuts to secure the wheel from sliding of the axle.

HERE is the picture where it can be seen how it looks like, but mine sloution is without the chains.

@ Milan: To clarify further, are you using TWO tires on one wheel? You used the "Match #601" combination of the 32019 "Tire 62.4 x 20" on the 32020 "Wheel 62.4 x 20"? Although the 8L axle with stop is pointing the wrong way in the photo sequence below, can you confirm that this assembly is correct (left-to-right, inside-to-outside of wheel)?

4185.jpg4185.jpg32019.jpg32020.jpg54120.jpg3961.gifx1739.jpg

Yes DLuders, that is the way I did it, just rotate the axle 8.

62.4 tire should be lined with 94.8 tire, than it has the best friction.

I am working on a even simpler solution, with better overall look and parts usage.

Will post it.

Kubrick posted these Brickshelf images of using different wheels to "squish" :wacko: the big 54120 "Tire 94.8 x 44 R Balloon" into a taller, thinner shape. Normally (according to the Bricklink "Tire on Wheel Relationship" Match #280, a single 44772 "Wheel 56mm D. x 34mm Technic Racing Medium" is used for that tire. See the two pictures below:

54120.jpg44772.1106083756.jpg

However, sometimes a Lego Technic vehicle looks funny with the fat ballooon tires. There is a way of making a taller, thinner tire profile with the 54120 balloon tire. Kubrick suggests using two 2903 "Wheel 81.6 x 15 Motorcycle":

2903.jpg2903.jpg2903.png

I tried his technique with my spare parts, and the overall height of the tire changes from 94.8 mm to ~97.5 mm (3% greater) when using his technique. The width of the tire can be clamped down, to decrease the size from 42 mm to 35 mmm (17% thinner): :thumbup: The trick is to set the tire on the SECOND rib from the edge (not the outermost rib). Here is the side-by-side comparison by Kubrick:

img_7040.jpgimg_7044.jpgimg_7043.jpg

Although the height of the tire doesn't change much, the thinner width may look more attractive (and suitable) for street-going Lego Technic vehicles. 3626bpx114.jpg

Hi,

To make tire 94.8 Bigger in diameter and more narrow you can use tire 81,6 to fit it into 94.8 tire and both put on wheel futuristic (like front wheel on my creation which was commented on eurobricks forum)

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49536&st=0&p=875959&hl=deere&fromsearch=1entry875959

I'm making some changes on model (different lower suspension arm that finally looks more like original) and on rear 121-125 mm tire. Front is now 98.5mm x 37

I'll post images on Brickshelf when I optimise rear tire/wheel combination

Kind regards

Igor