Set Name: 6042 Dungeon Hunters

Theme: Castle

Subtheme: Crusaders

Year Released: 1990

Pieces: 105 (Brickset says 110)

Minifigs: 3

Price: $12.75 (USD)

Additional Info: Brickset, Peeron

The Dungeon Hunters is a great companion set for 6081 Kings Mountain Fortress, 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress and 6071 Forestmen's Crossing. This set seems to be a remake of 6055 Prisoners Convoy except there are obviously some big differences while keeping with the same basic prison wagon idea. Even though this is a great set I don't think it's quite as good as it's predecessor(6055) but I consider it to still be a much nicer set than the new 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue.

Just a few notes about the photos. The forestman prisoner is supposed to be wearing a quiver that I had forgot to include in some of these photos. I also have the horse wearing a double clip red saddle when it is actually supposed to be a single clip saddle. I took the accessories photo later to reflect the proper accessories included with the set.

I used to cut the back and front of the boxes off on most of my 80s sets to keep since my parents didn't want me keeping the boxes because they took up to much room at the time. Here is the front of the box that still has the Toys & Wheels prices tag on it showing $14.99 cdn.

1boxcover.jpg

By nicker94 at 2011-01-09

Here is the back of the box showing the various alternate models that can be built.

2boxback.jpg

The instructions are still in near perfect condition.

3instructions.jpg

The last step on the instructions showing the complete set.

4instructionsend.jpg

The minifigs assembly.

1003289y.jpg

Here is an overall shot of the set.

5overall.jpg

Both sides of the carriage open for convenience when loading and unloading prisoners.

8doors.jpg

The back of the carriage has clips to hold weapons that have been seized from prisoners.

1003290o.jpg

Here is a front view of the carriage without the driver so the front window can be seen.

7withoutfigs.jpg

The 3 minifigs closeup shot.

6figs.jpg

Here are the various accessories that come with the set.

1003301b.jpg

Loading the prisoner.

11overallplay.jpg

6042 looks great combined with 6081 Kings Mountain Fortress as I had mentioned previously.

1003292l.jpg

Here is 6042 next to it's predecessor 6055.

1003296u.jpg

All 3 prison wagon/carriage sets together 6055,6042 and 7949.

1003298c.jpg

Reviewer's Score

Playability: 8/10 - With unique 3 minifigs and a decent array of weapons there are plenty of play scenarios that can be created as well as some nice ideas on the box for building alternate models. This set at 105 pieces also makes for a nice build.

Design: 8/10 - This set has a nice play friendly design. It makes it easy to reach inside the carriage to put in or take out a minifig with both doors being able to open unlike set 6055 which was a bit difficult to place or remove a minifig with just the narrow back door being able to open.

Price: 10/10 - From what I can remember $14.99 cdn was a pretty good price for a set like this in 1990.

Total: 26/30 I prefer to convert it to 8.6/10

Feel free to comment and let me know if there is anything that may improve my review since I plan on doing more of these in the future.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed!

Great review. I think $15 for this is okay, considering that's what you get in similarly priced sets today.

Very nice review, thanks for sharing Nicker! I must say this is a wonderful little classic castle set - you get to have three different minifigs, a variety of weapons and accessories, two horses and a prison carriage - what more can you ask for? I didn't know this before, but it is also interesting to note that the old saddle mold has only one clip compared to the current ones with two clips.

Thanks 'Nicker' for this review of a classic castle set, ah the old days when everyone smiled.....even while being taken to prison ! :wink:

Nice prisoner wagon, even the gate is not one piece but many ! :wink:

I hope to see more reviews in the future......Brick On 'Nicker' ! :grin:

A lovely set and nice review. :thumbup:

The comparison between the older sets and Kingdoms, leaves you with a feeling of sorrow. :cry_sad:

You got 2 horses in the last one, 3 minifigures and a very well detailed wagon, and also alternate models.

Wish could back in time and grab a pair of those.

Lovely set :sweet: , I remember it, sadly I lost it but I still have the castle.

Thank you very much for showing us.

Edited by SirSven7

A nice review Nicker! :thumbup: I'm surprised to see how the cage fences are build, that is quite nice!

I also never realized the body armour mold was already 21 years old! In other words: a very informative review! :classic:

I distinctly remember getting this set from my grandmother for Christmas, and it stayed intact through a lot of changes in my personal LEGO preference, until the time where two of the blue clips broke, so weapon storage became impossible. I recently found the instructions while organizing all the old-musty pieces in the basement. This review came at such a perfectly timely moment, and now this set is 100% shortlisted for rebuilding/refurbishment. Exciting times.

As a kid this was one of my all time favorite sets. Thanks for the review!