Sign in to follow this  
Algernon

LEGO collecting: Getting too old for it?

Being 44 with two kids, a full time job, and a needy house (high maintenance), I find I hardly have any time at all to "play" with my LEGO. Often when I post here (like now), I'm just taking a quick break from work (this program I'm writing is becoming very tedious!). I have a bunch of sets that I considered "must haves" and haven't even opened yet. I have my own MOC projects that I haven't worked on in ages.

But it happens... every so often I get the time to do something - that's what a hobby is, it's what you want to do in your free time... but sometimes I'm not in the mood. If I felt like I could just pack it all up and not play with it at all, I'd probably just sell it.

Edited by fred67

I almost never play with Lego. Maybe once a month, besides when I get a new set. I'm not necessarily in a "dark age" since I still like Lego, and I visit EB.

I wouldn't stress over it. Forcing yourself to stay active turns a fun hobby into a tedious job.

I have a long list of hobbies besides LEGO. That doesn't mean I feel obligated to schedule time to explore each of my interests on a regular basis. There are times when I feel like building and times when I don't. It is far more frightening to burn out and begin to hate a pastime you once loved.

I sometimes get bored when my circle of friends stick to talking about the same narrow range of topics. Does that mean I hate my friends? No. At that moment, I just wanted conversation that challenged me in new ways because we were getting into a predictable routine.

This article about an avid Star Wars fan going "cold turkey" from the fandom for a year might help you sort out your own worries. http://io9.com/57206...thout-star-wars

Does anyone have that problem or is there any awesners to this question or suggestions would be nice to have also.

I am totally assuming now that you are TFOL. Now if it turns out you decide not to bother with Lego for a few years then you may be entering your Dark Age, but I would not be worried about it, just do the stuff that interests you at the moment. Before you know whats happened you will be in your twenties and working, your youth snatched away by the cruel hands of time, then you might decide to that you want to play with Lego again! As long as you keep your collection, it will always be their waiting for you to return. This is by no means judgmental on any older TFOL, but, when I was going on 18 I had a lot more on my mind than playing with Lego. And those years go so quick, so enjoy them while you can!

I am totally assuming now that you are TFOL. Now if it turns out you decide not to bother with Lego for a few years then you may be entering your Dark Age, but I would not be worried about it, just do the stuff that interests you at the moment. Before you know whats happened you will be in your twenties and working, your youth snatched away by the cruel hands of time, then you might decide to that you want to play with Lego again! As long as you keep your collection, it will always be their waiting for you to return. This is by no means judgmental on any older TFOL, but, when I was going on 18 I had a lot more on my mind than playing with Lego. And those years go so quick, so enjoy them while you can!

I wasn't even asking the question but I really appreciate what you said, I am a TFOL myself, thanks a lot!