Sign in to follow this  
KimT

[REVIEW] Greek Hoplite Minifig

You want it?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready to go hunting for this one?

• Nope, not really.
    • Yup, I'm off to get these as soon as possible

That figure is stupendously-amazingly-fantastic! :sweet:

The new parts (except the shield) are super. I'd like to see that helmet painted blue and put on a Senate Commando! We finally get that dark red cape too!

But having an army of these doesn't sound as good to me anymore. The idea of having all the same heads on each soldier puts me off. Even if I swap them round I'll still have the spares. :sick:

What's not to like about the shield?

It's a classic LEGO design. :tongue:

And the head argument is a little odd.

Of course you'd have to supply heads for an army yourself - did you think TLG would add different heads to the bags? :laugh::wink:

What's not to like about the shield?

It's a classic LEGO design. :tongue:

It looks too plain and different to what I'm used to. :tongue:

And the head argument is a little odd.

Of course you'd have to supply heads for an army yourself - did you think TLG would add different heads to the bags? :laugh::wink:

Ofcourse not, but having ten spare identical super-angry heads isn't very useful. :tongue:

There is always trading I suppose.

Edited by Jammiedodger714

Still, I'd say the new shield is way better than this one:

3876.jpg

Plus I foresee the new shield in different colours soon.

And it's perfect as greeble for a MOC be that Space or Modular Houses, wouldn't you agree?

Still, I'd say the new shield is way better than this one:

3876.jpg

Plus I foresee the new shield in different colours soon.

And it's perfect as greeble for a MOC be that Space or Modular Houses, wouldn't you agree?

That one could be used for an engine on a spaceship. :tongue:

Hopefully it will be re-designed. I suppose it could be used on a house, yes.

I'm going to try ro get as many of these as I can! The torso is great for medieval generals too.

I'm going to try ro get as many of these as I can! The torso is great for medieval generals too.

As is the rest of the fig.

What puzzles me is that TLG with this fig introduces 3 new parts.

The Shield

The Spear

The Helmet

Why would they do soo much work, unless they've got a new theme planned for us?

I guess the same can be said for the rest of the minifigs in series 1 and 2...

The helmet is perfect, although one detail is too much. I suppose this represents the Corynthian type of helmet but since it was designed to protect all of the head, it didn't include holes for the ears. This was troublesome for the hearing though, and other, lighter types of helmets were made with holes for the ears. (Like the Attic helmets)

Looks more like a Chalcidian helmet to me, than a Corinthian for two reasons. 1) The horsehair comb 2) the openings for ears to give better hearing. It was used during the 4th and 5th Centuries BC, and was popular throughout Greece.

Looks more like a Chalcidian helmet to me, than a Corinthian for two reasons. 1) The horsehair comb 2) the openings for ears to give better hearing. It was used during the 4th and 5th Centuries BC, and was popular throughout Greece.

Thanks for the info :classic: I wanted to correct me calling it a Corinthian helmet yesterday when I saw this picture on KimT's Brickshelf gallery:

greek_hoplite.jpg

@KimT: this is a representation of a Spartan hoplite as both the red cape and the 'lambda' on the shield suggest.

----

This design does appear what to be what LEGO had in mind. It seems to be somewhere in between the Corinthian and Attic helmet. But to reply to your post, horsehair combs were used on corinthian helmets aswell?

Gaetano

Edited by Tanotrooper

@KimT: this is a representation of a Spartan hoplite as both the red cape and the 'lambda' on the shield suggest.

:blush:

I keep coming back to this post and just simply stare in amazement at this minifig. I really hope I am able to get my hands on them. TLG has done a terrific job with the detail, weapons, etc. I hope this minifig is a taste of what will come in the future for TLG ... A Greek sub-theme :)

Thanks for the info :classic: I wanted to correct me calling it a Corinthian helmet yesterday when I saw this picture on KimT's Brickshelf gallery:

greek_hoplite.jpg

----

This design does appear what to be what LEGO had in mind. It seems to be somewhere in between the Corinthian and Attic helmet. But to reply to your post, horsehair combs were used on corinthian helmets aswell?

Gaetano

I would say yes and no to horsehair combs being used on Corinthian helmets, for the primary reason that almost all excavated Corinthian helmet found does not give any indication that there was a horsehair comb, though there are some that are found but they're quite rare. Excavated Chalcidian helmets however usually always have protrusions where a comb could be attached, or raised portions that the hair could be inserted through. Other times there's a metal crest/comb built into the helmet as well.

Chalcidian is essentially the same as a Corinthian, however the face is more open. The Attic helmet is a sub-type of the Chalcidian, but it lacks a nasal guard.

I would say yes and no to horsehair combs being used on Corinthian helmets, for the primary reason that almost all excavated Corinthian helmet found does not give any indication that there was a horsehair comb, though there are some that are found but they're quite rare. Excavated Chalcidian helmets however usually always have protrusions where a comb could be attached, or raised portions that the hair could be inserted through. Other times there's a metal crest/comb built into the helmet as well.

Chalcidian is essentially the same as a Corinthian, however the face is more open. The Attic helmet is a sub-type of the Chalcidian, but it lacks a nasal guard.

Indeed, when looking at pictures of original Corinthian helmets, none seem to include any structure for a comb. On the other hand though, contemporary art shows that Corinthian helmets did have crests. A famous example is the small statue of a Spartan soldier in cloak with long braided hair. The crest on this statue does have the crest turned around 90°, resembling a centurio.

So one could use these to represent the crestless Corinthian helmets? 48493.jpg

Anyway, no luck so far in getting this figure.

Gaetano

greek_hoplite.jpg

----

Gaetano

Actually, that is not a Spartan Hoplite, look at the sun on his armor, that's a Macedonia symbol. I'd say that what you showed is a Macedonian Pezhetario.

Actually, that is not a Spartan Hoplite, look at the sun on his armor, that's a Macedonia symbol. I'd say that what you showed is a Macedonian Pezhetario.

I apologize in that case :classic:

I based myself on a release from Papo which was called a Spartan Hoplite:

31rcR2u5qiL.jpg

Gaetano

I apologize in that case :classic:

I based myself on a release from Papo which was called a Spartan Hoplite:

31rcR2u5qiL.jpg

Gaetano

Ya, every one is saying facts, I was just dyingto get mine in!

As if the wait isn't torture enough already :P

Kidding aside, I don't really see much wrong with the figure. As for the decals on the feet, I guess its not bad if you assume hes wearing sandals?

Looks like I'm going to be shelling out big money to try and horde these bad boys. Is the spear a single piece? or do you mount the tip onto the rest of the spear?

Is the spear a single piece? or do you mount the tip onto the rest of the spear?

One piece.

Indeed, when looking at pictures of original Corinthian helmets, none seem to include any structure for a comb. On the other hand though, contemporary art shows that Corinthian helmets did have crests. A famous example is the small statue of a Spartan soldier in cloak with long braided hair. The crest on this statue does have the crest turned around 90°, resembling a centurio.

So one could use these to represent the crestless Corinthian helmets? 48493.jpg

Anyway, no luck so far in getting this figure.

Gaetano

Yeah, I think those kinds of helmets could represent crestless Corinthian helmets. Though they lack a nose guard, and the faces seem a bit open... It's Lego, so it would be difficult to get something that was 100% exact, unless it was molded that way.

Kidding aside, I don't really see much wrong with the figure. As for the decals on the feet, I guess its not bad if you assume hes wearing sandals?

It's not the sandal markings, it's the red 'skirt' printing.

It's semi transparent and overlaps in the cheapest Chinese manner I've ever seen.

It's not the sandal markings, it's the red 'skirt' printing.

It's semi transparent and overlaps in the cheapest Chinese manner I've ever seen.

I noticed this on the wrestler dude too - and apart from the overlap, his side leg printing is worse than on the front, a much paler yellow. I think it's probably a limitation of the machine and it's more noticeable with different colours.

The skirt printing doesn't bother me so much. I guess I've gone through the 'denial/ anger' stage about reduced quality and passed through to 'acceptance' :laugh:

One thing I am concerned about is durability of the metallic paint coat on the helmets. It seems only a light spray on the surface (as seen from the tan underside of the helmet) so it will be interesting to watch how these wear over time.

About his leg painting, perhaps the photos aren't doing it justice, but it doesn't look too bad to me. You could always colour match the paint and touch it up couldn't you?

About his leg painting, perhaps the photos aren't doing it justice, but it doesn't look too bad to me. You could always colour match the paint and touch it up couldn't you?

But it is bad:

4852719685_2886cacf15_o.png

Great rewiev KimT! i'm looking forward to owning some of these! :cry_happy:

But i have a question does anyone have a count of how many figs there are of each in the series 2 box? i couldn't find a list anywhere.

CastleLord.

Great rewiev KimT! i'm looking forward to owning some of these! :cry_happy:

But i have a question does anyone have a count of how many figs there are of each in the series 2 box? i couldn't find a list anywhere.

CastleLord.

Here you go :)

3 Spartans

3 Pharaohs

3 Adventurers

3 skiers

3 Surfers

3 Disco Stus

3 Singers

4 Mimes

4 Mexicans

4 'Baywatch' babes

4 Vampires

4 Weightlifters

4 Witches

5 Martials arts men

5 Ringmasters

5 Traffic cops

But it is bad:

4852719685_2886cacf15_o.png

What's bad about it though, because I can't really see anything wrong with that other than there's no paint in some points.