Sign in to follow this  
---Vertea---

Steampunk cargo ship

So the other day, I was thinking about steampunk, and how I wanted to build a ship of that genre.

It was a few days later until I actually got off my butt to do so.

Anyway, this ship is part inspired by "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello" ( a really good steampunk short I found on Youtube) and by the submarines from Disney's Atlantis. The hardest part was figuring out a way to make the dome work, but after a few frustrating minutes, I came up with a solution. The rest of the ship was easy cake after that.

Without further ado, I give you The Myroneus

best_shot.jpg

This ship has a distinctly fishlike appearance, as do most stempunk ships. the 'eyes' are th only lights I put on it to give a more 'living' look.

display.jpg

The 'face' of the ship. I used two different kinds of arches for this effect

front.jpg

The cannon- the only defense a carrier type ship has. I was glad to finally use this part in a MOC

cannon_detail.jpg

Of course, the cannon is placed where it is because...

close_hatch.jpg

the Cargo doors are right there! they are on both sides.

open_hatch.jpg

Here is a view of the wing mechanism:

better_wing_mech.jpg

And for more images heres The Brickshelf Gallery(when public).

So basically, it's a flying whale ship- you can't see in the pictures, but I actually used arches inside the body of the ship. It was a really nice detail that I wish I had made viewable. There's LOTS of room on the intereor for whatever cargo you care to store, but no place for a driver...perhaps the ship is alive after all?

Anyway, questions and comments are appreciated. Hope you all enjoy!

When reading the topic title I was expecting something big. To be honest I don't like it, the concept you've written is good though, but the build is just really blocky, And I see only minor Steampunk references in the ship. Maybe this will help; steampunk ships. :classic:

too much blue, why is there so much blue in a steampunk, doesnt look to hold alot of cargo aswell those 2 little compartments look good though

I see a minifig seat, but from the looks of it, this is not minifig scale. Looks pretty cool though. The only things I don't see are buoyant air bags or heli-gyros keeping it up. what keeps it up?

In response to those who say there's too much blue... I'm sure this is alternate present steampunk, but even if it is gilded age steampunk, I'd like to point out they did have blue paint 150 years ago. =P

Edited by Randal

I like it, especially the gate wings but if you just built it why is it soooo dusty?

I think it has something to do with the material under it used as clouds. (but that's only dangerous speculation)

I think it has something to do with the material under it used as clouds. (but that's only dangerous speculation)

Actually, it's because I live in Arizona and it's REALLY REALLY dusty. The parts were already relatively dusty, and when I finished the ship and placed it on display, it accumulated some more lol.

And the blockiness is in fact intentional. I wanted something bulky and chunky and kind of junky looking. The steampunk theme isn't as heavy here as it is in other models, I know, but I feel it still deserves the genre title. Also, I really have no steampunk parts at all, so I'm limited in my MOCing of certain themes. I do what I can with what I've got. ;)

I'l give an A on the idea but a C- on the execution, the blue color looks odd and it is to small to be called a "whale." Overall 5/10 :thumbdown:

Edited by Palms

I for one like this ship, there's no reason they couldn't have had blue paint in the 19th century. :tongue:

It has an interesting shape, which somewhat reminds me of the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

I for one like this ship, there's no reason they couldn't have had blue paint in the 19th century. :tongue:

It has an interesting shape, which somewhat reminds me of the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Perhaps, then, I should have changed it for an underwater setting. I can't understand why I didn't see that before.... I am inspired anew!

listen mate, you uploaded this on to the internet to recieve some comments and criticism. well lets be quite clear, and i aint gonna beat around no bush. this is very bad. nothing about it makes any sense. the shape is blocky, the colours random, the idea not particulary original. well i say that, but to be fair you have a reasonably original concept possibly, it is just a shame that your execution of the concept (possibly, because still not 100% sure what the concept was...), was hampered by a total lack of either design or construction skill.

in short this is what you might considered 'a fail', in fact i would even go as far as to say 'epic fail', but there is nothing 'epic' about this so called MOC. so lets just leave it at a 'fail'.