Sign in to follow this  
Calanon

A few questions

Hi all, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask about rule-breaking and rank system.

1) If you break a rule, I know that you will either be told off or banned, depending on the severity of the rule breaking. Is the 'telling-off' PMed or put into the topic? If you break minor rules over the course of a year or so, is there any way of keeping track of them? On another forum I go on, which is also an IPB forum, there is a warn system. On the profile there is a display like this: < -7 ( 0 ) 7 > which shows how many warns you've had, and the minimum and maximum possible warns. Positive warns are for when you do something against the rules, negative are for being continuously good and helpful for a long period of time. It is very helpful for keeping track of warns, and there are also verbal warns which don't count for if you do a minor thing for the first time or so; such as bumping an old topic. I believe this would be quite helpful for this site, not everyone has the best memory to see when they've done something bad, but as this site is for people who are older and thus hopefully, more mature, 7 warns until being banned seems too many. 3 or 4 seems more reasonable, depending on the severity. Sever rule breaking could still be a ban, and warns could be dismissed after maybe 2-3 months of good posting.

2) I personally find the rank system slightly confusing as there appears to be so many different ranks with different pips etc, such as when a global moderator has a pip saying Star Wars moderator or something. It can give to some people (such as myself when I first joined) that they can only moderate the Star Wars board. All the different colours for the same group also can get confusing, I do appreciate the fact that it makes it more personal though. For this I have two suggestions, one is to have all the names of online users at the bottom in order of rank, with the admins having their names first. This is possible as it is like this on the other IPB forum I go on. Showing the ranks underneath the online names with the colour of that rank would also be nice, and when clicked on brings you to a page showing all members of that group.

That is all for now, hopefully these suggestions will be useful to the forum in some way. :classic:

Regarding (1), I guess moderators have very good memory. :grin:

Regarding (2), all moderators' and administrators' names can be found using the 'Contact Staff' link on the frontpage. From what I understand of it, they have roughly the same moderating permissions, however, depending on their focal area they are either 'Town', 'History', 'Star Wars', etc. Moderator or 'Global Moderator' for moderators that actively moderate multiple fora. This topic also explains some differences. Furthermore, you can search members by user group using the 'Members' link in the top-right corner.

This thread answers most of question/concern number 2.

EB user groups and ranks

This thread also shows the color coding at the bottom of the forum in the who's online section. Besically anyone red is a moderator, adn the dark blue ones are the Root admins.

otherwise, green is for fellows, which are explained in that thread and everyone else is either blue or black.

As for number 1, if it 's a feature on the board, then maybe the staff doesn't want everyone to see it?? That's a possibility. I'm sure they have their way of keeping track. I would think one warn should be plenty, If you plan on keeping track, does that mean you plan on getting warned multiple times??? (honest question). It just doesn't seem necesssary to me.

EDIT: I just realized I linked the same thread as Rick. :blush:

Thank you for pointing out that topic to me, I can't believe I never noticed it! :blush:

As for about question one, I just tend to find it helpful to see if I ever have done something bad or not in the future. No I don't plan on being getting warned multiple times, infact I'd preferably get none. I did think about one, but it just doesn't feel enough. I agree after thinking about it a bit more, 3-4 does seem a bit excessive.

Edited by Calanon

Thank you for pointing out that topic to me, I can't believe I never noticed it! :blush:

As for about question one, I just tend to find it helpful to see if I ever have done something bad or not in the future. No I don't plan on being getting warned multiple times, infact I'd preferably get none. I did think about one, but it just doesn't feel enough. I agree after thinking about it a bit more, 3-4 does seem a bit excessive.

I would assume you'd get a PM for any type of warning.

You could always create a folder for warns in your user control panel, if you ever get one.

Ah ha, thank you! That sounds like a good idea to me, even though I rarely go onto my control panel. I will do that if I ever happen to. :classic: As long as I remember, of course. :tongue:

Just don't do anything stupid, and the mods won't have trouble with you.

Believe me, unless you do something severe, you fine. These mods are extremely forgiving. :thumbup:

Ah ha, thank you! That sounds like a good idea to me, even though I rarely go onto my control panel. I will do that if I ever happen to. :classic: As long as I remember, of course. :tongue:

Join a mafia game and PM folders will become your best friend. :laugh:

Enjoy the forums!

Join a mafia game and PM folders will become your best friend. :laugh:

That's an understatment :hmpf_bad: .