Dr. Brick

MOC: Blue Bridge

Hi everybody!

During the holidays of the past two years I've been working at a LEGO camp. It's basically a week for kids where they can play with way more LEGO then they'll ever have. The job discription says I need to keep them building and help them a bit, but I like to give them lessons in basic building techniques, which they enjoy.

In the morning they can play with boxes full of pick-a-brick rubbish (you know the thing, weird pieces in useless colours). In the afternoon they build with boxes filled up with +/-7000 classic bricks (mainly 2x4, 2x2 and a few 2x8) sorted by colour.

internetbridge11.jpg

Now even though there's so many pieces (in total with all the boxes +/-49000) the kids often complain that they can't build anything cool with those classic, 'boring' bricks.

Well I had a bit of spare time on my hands, so I wanted to prove a point:

internetbridge05.jpg

Apart from the two 48x48 baseplates this bridge is built entirely out of the classic 2x4 brick. It is very stable and will hold any LEGO vehicules on it.

They were impressed, and didn't ask for the 'cool' bricks anymore.

Comments welcome! :sweet:

Dr. Brick

internetbridge10.jpg

Brickshelf folder when public.

I like it! It's simple (elementally), elegant, and functional! I also really like the idea of a LEGO camp! I wish I could have gone to one of those when I was a kid.

Edited by Mariko

Nice bridge! And indeed, an impressive example of what you can do with the normal brick. :thumbup:

This camp sounds like it was a fun way of passing your time during holidays. So it was a job? You got paid to help children play with your favorite hobby? That's just awesome! :wink: Where was this?

This camp sounds like it was a fun way of passing your time during holidays. So it was a job? You got paid to help children play with your favorite hobby? That's just awesome! :wink: Where was this?

Yes, it's great fun really.

It's this organisation that organises sport and theme camps round Leuven. They're called Sporty Creactief.

Dr. Brick

Edited by Dr. Brick

Good one 'Dr. Brick' - quite simple to do, but man that's fantastic. :thumbup:

Just like a bridge would have been built from Lego in the 1970's before we got all these speciality parts in the 21st century.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

:oh3:

Excellent work on staggering the supports! How sturdy is it, though?

I was surprised at how sturdy it was myself. But yeah, it could really hold quite a lot. I could push on it with quite a lot of weight and it didn't budge.

Dr. Brick

Start a thing at your camp called rainbow town! Every week you build up a huge city with classic 2X4's, and then when the week's over, take a picture, destroy it, and start all over again! Imagine the fun!

The bridge is great, especially the spaces underneath the road. The design is also beautiful, even without any fancy parts! Nice job. :thumbup:

Edited by Darth Legolas