Sign in to follow this  
the_green_avenger

Weird View Count Problem...

When I was looking through the forums I noticed a post (which happend to be mine) that had 0 views, BUT there were already 2 replies?

1. That's Impossible...

2. That's wierd...

Does anyone know why? Or could you Mods look into fixing it?

:pir_yoda:

Fairly common problem with the forum software (IPB), but it catches up eventually.

Fairly common problem with the forum software (IPB), but it catches up eventually.

Alright, I realise that it does. But its happening again with this post!?!?!

Alright, I realise that it does. But its happening again with this post!?!?!

Which part of my reply didn't you understand? :hmpf_bad:

Why does the view count matter so much? If you're happy with what you've done, that should be enough.

Sorry to debate with my esteem colleague Mr Shadows, but this is a feature, not a fault. EB is a rather popular site so we've enabled a few features that reduce the resources that EB uses. One of them is re-calculating the page views. This may sound odd (to me as well) but it makes a decent difference being set like this and since it's only a minor annoyance we've left it on.

There are some more big changes to EB coming in the next few months so we don't want to push the server too hard. It's only really noticeable with new topics anyway.

Sorry to debate with my esteem colleague Mr Shadows, but this is a feature, not a fault.

Then, much like your face, this is a weird feature. :tongue:

I really didn't know that. Must have been decided before I was staff.

I think this is similar to "view lag" on a lot of video-sharing sites such as Youtube. The viewcount is only recalculated every so often, so you end up with there being more comments, ratings etc. than there are views.

:classic:

Then, much like your face, this is a weird feature. :tongue:

It keeps EB running smoothly, don't knock it! :tongue: My face on the other hand is a lost cause.

I really didn't know that. Must have been decided before I was staff.

Yes, I think it was. When we switched over from the old site...

logo4.gif

...we had some trouble tuning the site to the new server. (You got lashed for staff duty soon after.) It all worked out in the end, and we ended up leaving the feature on afterwards. Want to know more? Read this!

Update Topic Views Immediately

If enabled, the topic views counter will be updated as one loads a topic. If not enabled, the topic views will be written to another table and the topic views updated every 3 hours. This will significantly reduce overhead on the topics table if you have a very busy board as it overcomes the write lock initiated when the topic counter is updated.

Want to know more? Read this!

A fascinating bit of EB history and a logical feature to enable. While it may be considerably after the fact, I add my support to this decision. :thumbup:

While it may be considerably after the fact, I add my support to this decision. :thumbup:

That's good. Otherwise I would have rushed off to change it.

That's good. Otherwise I would have rushed off to change it.

Smart megablocks. :tongue:

Sorry to debate with my esteem colleague Mr Shadows, but this is a feature, not a fault. EB is a rather popular site so we've enabled a few features that reduce the resources that EB uses. One of them is re-calculating the page views. This may sound odd (to me as well) but it makes a decent difference being set like this and since it's only a minor annoyance we've left it on.

There are some more big changes to EB coming in the next few months so we don't want to push the server too hard. It's only really noticeable with new topics anyway.

All right. I don't really care so much about view counts... It just seemed wierd... BUT NOW I UNDERSTAND!!!

I've always wondered about that. Thanks for clearing that up Siegfried. :sweet: I'm probably going to regret this but Shadows: Pwned! :tongue:

I'm probably going to regret this but Shadows: Pwned! :tongue:

It's not his fault. He doesn't have the same system access that I have. Shadows is way smarter than me and if he had my access he's make me look like a a sideshow-phony.

It's not his fault. He doesn't have the same system access that I have. Shadows is way smarter than me and if he had my access he's make me look like a a sideshow-phony.

I know, your an Admin and he's a Mod. Admins are the ones that control that neck of the woods. I was just remembering a certain time in my history here at EB where I was "Pwned!".

Using bolded green text for how long now ? and I don't even put any of it there.

Edited by JCC1004

I was just remembering a certain time in my history here at EB where I was "Pwned!".

What time are you referring to? There have been so many...

Wait.... You aren't one? *huh*

Nah, I'm one of those Test Your Strength things that people whack hard and hope to win a prize.

*Ding!*

What time are you referring to? There have been so many...

I thought members weren't supposed to hint at that sorta stuff. Now an Admin is doing it? :sceptic: I was referring to Shadow's Secret Mod topic.

I thought members weren't supposed to hint at that sorta stuff. Now an Admin is doing it? :sceptic: I was referring to Shadow's Secret Mod topic.

I was just joking. I have no idea what you're talking about... :look:

I was just joking. I have no idea what you're talking about... :look:

Sorry for that misunderstanding. Your the one that "Pwned!" me. It's right here.

EDIT: Colors again. I'm considering just to blend in with the rest of you.

Edited by JCC1004

I'm probably going to regret this but Shadows: Pwned! :tongue: [/b][/color]

If I have to be pwned, I can't think of anyone better to have that honour than Sieggy. :sweet:

As for you... I'm not taking the bait, oh former stalker of mine, but nice try. :tongue:

If I have to be pwned, I can't think of anyone better to have that honour than Sieggy. :sweet:

As for you... I'm not taking the bait, oh former stalker of mine, but nice try. :tongue:

Siegfried pwns all! :tongue: Who said I was former? I never retired. :devil:

I know this came up recently in another topic but I can't find it. I thought it does this because a reply is not a view. When someone views the thread and doesn't post, that's a view.

Otherwise if they reply, it's a reply, no need to count them twice.